Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

studying in canada

Options
  • 28-05-2009 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

hey all.
    im currently studying in athlone it, and thinking of going over to edmonton for a year, doing a student exchange with grant macewan college. anyone have any advice???
    tinking of doing public relation year couse....anyone can tell me more about it??

also anyone know if there is much work over there.
    ill need to get a part-time job to survive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Apparently canada aint really been affected by the recession..... yet

Keep in mind they have a long, harsh winter [October to Mid February]
    Minus 40 temperatures, and tonnes of snow

Thats the only thing that put me off goin there

But summer over there is deadly

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

hmmmm, make sure you like cold weather. Edmonton is ok as a city (same size as Dublin or so, but very spread out), but is can get to -40 in the winter, and be -20 for weeks on end. Very flat, 3 hour drive to some amazing mountains though. Still, there are much better cities to study in....

I think Grant McEwan College is on the north side of the city (near the city airport)...not the most exciting of areas but still ok and safe.

Make sure you'd be allowde to work part time on a student visa....working under the table is not a very likely option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 nerney

Not sure if you're still considering this or not but anyway ;)

If your going to edmonton you will get work there no problem they are mad for workers out there. know people who got jobs in edmonton on their first day there.

But on a student visa you are limited to 20 hours work a week (while studying), working under the table is not that common but I have seen it happen here in toronto where work is not as plentiful so it could be an option

Advertisement