Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thierry Henry

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the third eye vid is hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Always thought he was a class act, delighted for him. In saying that thought he was poor tonight, didn't look like half the player he used to be (maybe he wasn't fully fit), in fairness O'Shea was probably one of Utd's best players though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I really miss him :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

One of the best strikers to play the game imo, best player ever to grace the EPL too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

henryspurs.JPG

quite simply, one my favourite footballers of all time.

even that season, when he took the piss out of Jamie Carragher in some 4-2 win, i just couldn't but think he was incredible.

f***ing awesome player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Can't stand Henry. He's so full of himself. Can't stand that bullsh!t of scoring a goal and not celebrating or smiling cos 'you're better than that'.

When he plays well, he's brilliant to watch. But i wouldn't want him in my team in a final. Could have won the 2001 Cup Final, but he fluffed it. Could have won the 2006 Champions League Final, he fluffed it.

He fluffed it again tonight, but Messi came to the rescue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

eZe^ wrote: »
    One of the best strikers to play the game imo, best player ever to grace the EPL too...

Agreed. He has been in great form this season too. He didnt play great tonight but people need to bear in mind he's rushed back from injury and United are one of the best teams in the world. It was never going to be easy for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Fcuking Legend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

monkey9 wrote: »
    Can't stand Henry. He's so full of himself. Can't stand that bullsh!t of scoring a goal and not celebrating or smiling cos 'you're better than that'.

When he plays well, he's brilliant to watch. But i wouldn't want him in my team in a final. Could have won the 2001 Cup Final, but he fluffed it. Could have won the 2006 Champions League Final, he fluffed it.

Yeah, good luck with that.
    Favourite player of all time. No doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I actually enjoy his celebration. And there has been plenty of times he has lept about the place like an eejit.

He's cool man :cool:

Top 3 favourite players of all time.

• Advertisement

bit of a harsh post imo.

and to be fair, with that final, if it wasn't for Henchoz's *ahem* 'intervention', he may have won that, and Owen may not have had the chance to do what he did.

the other 2 finals you mentioned, ok, but he's also played well in finals, namely for his country.

i can't argue with the arrogance, but for some reason it's endearing, and it comes across as more tongue-in-cheek than anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Thierry-Henry-Manchester-United-Barcelona-Cha_2311593.jpg
    Thierry Henry said there were "no words to describe" his feelings after Barcelona's UEFA Champions League win.

The French striker put in a solid performance for the Spanish giants who claimed their third European Cup crowne with a superb performance in Rome.

Goals from Samuel Eto'o and Lionel Messi were enough to secure top honours for Barca who were much the better side on Wednesday evening.

An emotional Henry told Sky Sports after the game: "It's unbelievable.
    No words

"I have no words to describe what we have done this year, what we have achieved.

"No team have ever done the treble in Spain - we are the first ones to do it so it's amazing."

Henry admitted his relief in overcoming a late injury problem to feature in Rome, saying: "I wasn't going to play.

"I wanted to play," he said. "We were playing against a Manchester United side who are always difficult to beat.

Glory

"You always remember winners. Sometimes you can play good football but if you don't bring back silverware it doesn't count."

In reaction to Messi's goal, he said: "I think it was well deserved but I think throughout the whole season we won games because we were playing well. We were running and working hard.

"When people talk about Barcelona - they talk about the way we play. They forget that we put pressure on sides, in particular at the front. We fight, and we never give up."

No stranger to disappointment in Europe's elite competition, Henry reflected on his Champions League heartache with Arsenal.

"It will always remain a disappointment in my career because the club are in my heart and in my blood," he said. "Everybody knows that.

"I am happy though. For my family and the troubles I have suffered playing football. I am still alive."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11945_5351444,00.html

I just can't stand him. I completely get why people would love him, but he's not for me.

Even tonight, when he got the ball early in the second half and had his one on one, i knew he'd f*ck it up.

But overall, he's quality and i accept that. He's just always annoyed me and as i say, i wouldn't want him playing for my team in a final.

In saying that though, i remember a match at Anfield a few years ago when Heskey scored in the final minute to make it two all. In the first half, Henry got the ball just in our half out on the left, attacking the Kop. When i say he sprinted by Carragher (who was playing full back at the time), like Usain Bolt running past a ten year old, is not even doing it justice. I just laughed.

Still, i just don't like him. It's one of those things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭paul150

Favourite player of all time, delighted for him after the disappointment in 06'. wish we still had him as he is 100x better than that lazy f**ker adebayor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

I just can't stand him. I completely get why people would love him, but he's not for me.

Even tonight, when he got the ball early in the second half and had his one on one, i knew he'd f*ck it up.

But overall, he's quality and i accept that. He's just always annoyed me and as i say, i wouldn't want him playing for my team in a final.

In saying that though, i remember a match at Anfield a few years ago when Heskey scored in the final minute to make it two all. In the first half, Henry got the ball just in our half out on the left, attacking the Kop. When i say he sprinted by Carragher (who was playing full back at the time), like Usain Bolt running past a ten year old, is not even doing it justice. I just laughed.

Still, i just don't like him. It's one of those things.

Funny I feel the same way about C.Ronaldo. i want to bitch slap him;)

SlickRic wrote: »
    bit of a harsh post imo.

and to be fair, with that final, if it wasn't for Henchoz's *ahem* 'intervention', he may have won that, and Owen may not have had the chance to do what he did.the other 2 finals you mentioned, ok, but he's also played well in finals, namely for his country.

i can't argue with the arrogance, but for some reason it's endearing, and it comes across as more tongue-in-cheek than anything.

Oh yeah, Henchoz did one of his amazing 'saves' in that incident.
    But, I'm talking about the second half, when they were one up and Henry went by Westerveld and just mis-kicked it!! He puts that away and they win the cup.
    He does what he's paid to do in 2006 and Arsenal have a European Cup win in their history.

Look, i'm sure it's just me, but when it comes to cup finals and when it matters, Henry f*cks up.

Oh yeah, Henchoz did one of his amazing 'saves' in that incident.
    But, I'm talking about the second half, when they were one up and Henry went by Westerveld and just mis-kicked it!! He puts that away and they win the cup.
    He does what he's paid to do in 2006 and Arsenal have a European Cup win in their history.

Look, i'm sure it's just me, but when it comes to cup finals and when it matters, Henry f*cks up.

oh yeah, i remember that. i still laugh watching it on DVD. then just a few minutes later boy wonder shows him up. oh happy memories!

i'd just say he's had his fair share of f*ck ups in finals, but also a fair share of good performances. he's also taking the mick out of too many defenders for me not to love him.

and that's coming from a Liverpool fan whose seen him embarrass Jamie Carragher on too many occasions to count, including the one you mentioned. I laughed my hole off too. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Titi rules. End of.

If Giggs can get Premiership player of the year for this season, then Henry should be given world player of the year when he's 35.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I used to love Henry. His technique, pace and commitment always amazed me.

But, the last year or so with Arsenal soured me to him, particularly when he became captain. Maybe it was just his frustration at the clubs lack of success or whatever, but his personality definitely changed on field as he got older and became an ever more central figure to the club. When the youngsters on the team, like Cesc, RVP, Flamini, Clichy etc. messed up he would eat the ****e out of them. There was nothing really likeable about his personality, no words of encouragement or pats on the backs, just dirty looks or a few angry words. All balls had to be played for him, if someone spotted something better and it didn't quite come off he would get in a huff at not getting it. That really pissed me off. It's no surprise that Arsenal were an entirely different team the next season (free of the burden of having to meet Henry's perfectionist demands imo).

He was an outstanding talented individual amd possibly the best who ever graced the Prem. But when i saw him tonight giving out to Sylvinho for not hurrying to take a throw quick enough the way you would a child, i just thought to myself, "i cannot care less about you anymore".

I used to love Henry. His technique, pace and commitment always amazed me.

But, the last year or so with Arsenal soured me to him, particularly when he became captain. Maybe it was just his frustration at the clubs lack of success or whatever, but his personality definitely changed on field as he got older and became an ever more central figure to the club. When the youngsters on the team, like Cesc, RVP, Flamini, Clichy etc. messed up he would eat the ****e out of them. There was nothing really likeable about his personality, no words of encouragement or pats on the backs, just dirty looks or a few angry words. All balls had to be played for him, if someone spotted something better and it didn't quite come off he would get in a huff at not getting it. That really pissed me off. It's no surprise that Arsenal were an entirely different team the next season (free of the burden of having to meet Henry's perfectionist demands imo).

He was an outstanding talented individual amd possibly the best who ever graced the Prem. But when i saw him tonight giving out to Sylvinho for not hurrying to take a throw quick enough the way you would a child, i just thought to myself, "i cannot care less about you anymore".

Wow, that's actually an intetesting perspective coming from an Arsenal fan. Myself, i couldn't give a sh!t about Henry, never did. He always annoyed me.
    But do other Arsenal fans (honestly) feel like this?? And if so, why?

• Advertisement

. When the youngsters on the team, like Cesc, RVP, Flamini, Clichy etc. messed up he would eat the ****e out of them. There was nothing really likeable about his personality, no words of encouragement or pats on the backs, just dirty looks or a few angry words. All balls had to be played for him, if someone spotted something better and it didn't quite come off he would get in a huff at not getting it. That really pissed me off. It's no surprise that Arsenal were an entirely different team the next season (free of the burden of having to meet Henry's perfectionist demands imo).

I think that was exagerated imo, I used to watch him during matches particularly when he didn't have the ball I never saw him giving players an earful, you had the odd stare to the heavens. Lots of people said he was holding back the young players again something I never bought into, I felt we were very unlucky in our first season at The Emirates particularly with the drawn matches early on, and it had nothing to do with passing the ball into the net. I still believe we let him go too early, he had a lot of issues going on in his personal life at the time if I recall.

No.

Wow, that's actually an intetesting perspective coming from an Arsenal fan. Myself, i couldn't give a sh!t about Henry, never did. He always annoyed me.

more so because i'm not you're average Arsenal fan, in fact many people would object to the word fan i guess. didn't grow up with the whole supporting Arsenal thing, just fell in love with the way the club played football, Arsene's commitment to it, and the way the club conducts itself off the field.

It would be a rare enough opinion, although i do think some others would agree with this opinion to a certain degree, that when the club needed Henry more than ever, Henry only wanted to look after himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Thierry Henry, great, great player, a pleasure to watch and a gentleman off the field by all accounts.

I notice whats been said there about his last 18 months or so. Maybe Captaincy didn't suit the guy, or maybe it was a case of when he got that armband that he tried to be like another team's captain that he admired, Roy Keane comes to mind.

Either way he is at the very top of the list of players that played in the Premier League. I think everybody in the draft the we did agreed that there was four players and then a gap, them players being Roy Keane, Peter Schmeichel, Thierry Henry and Alan Shearer. Could you imagine them four in the one team in their primes?

Best player to ever grace the prem is a it strong.
    Gerrard matches him all the way,Ronaldo will aswell if he keeps going.
    Also Scholes,keane,Giggs

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I think that was exagerated imo,

probably. but the difference in the way the younger members played after he left the club is there for all to see. That start to the season particularly, it was like a weight had been lifted from their shoulders, the passing was better, there was more invention and a greater urgency throughout. Hleb in particular was a completely different player.

But remember he did get paid 10 million for his last season with the club. If he loves the club as much as he professes, he certainly didn't stick around to see they got value for money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Best player to ever grace the prem is a it strong.
    Gerrard matches him all the way,Ronaldo will aswell if he keeps going.
    Also Scholes,keane,Giggs
    Well the general consensus when we did the draft was the Henry, Keane, Shearer and Schmeichel were ahead of the rest.

And in fairness I think they were, they were just consistently brilliant throughout their time in the PL.

Others including those others you mention there were a little behind that group. If Ronaldo stays with United another couple of years he would also be in that category.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well the general consensus when we did the draft was the Henry, Keane, Shearer and Schmeichel were ahead of the rest.

And in fairness I think they were, they were just consistently brilliant throughout their time in the PL.

Others including those others you mention there were a little behind that group. If Ronaldo stays with United another couple of years he would also be in that category.
    Well if we include Henry, Keane, Shearer and Schmeichel ,Gerrard.
    In the same group?

probably. but the difference in the way the younger members played after he left the club is there for all to see. That start to the season particularly, it was like a weight had been lifted from their shoulders, the passing was better, there was more invention and a greater urgency throughout. Hleb in particular was a completely different player.

Comes down to opinion I suppose, but I can't agree, take the villa and boro games in the first season at the Emirates that we drew, we played some fantastic football and I lost count of the number of shots on goal we had both on and off target, I left wondering how we had not won, same with other games that we dropped points at home, that night I would watch motd to be told that Arsenal had no plan b, that we wanted to walk the ball into the net, yet they failed to mention the shots that scraped by wide, and believe you me they were close, ab bit more luck and one point becomes three and the focus changes,yet no mention of it, instead the focus was Arsenal walking the ball into the net, the younger players certainly didn't look on the younger places shoulders. I normally don't like to bet on Arsenal but I had to have a bet on Arsenal for the league at the start of the second season at 12/1 because they were mad odds, the young team grew during the first season at the Emirates, I honestly don't believe for a minute they were held back by Henry, the second season at the Emirates they just had one more years experience and had more luck in front of goal. Anyway it just comes down opinion I suppose ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mcowhey

dont really think i could disagree with this any more. Seen in an interview once he doesn't smile and **** cos when he was a kid growing up he wanted to lik pls his dad playing soccer and if he scored 3 in a game his father would want to know why he didnt score more. Basically was never supported by his father and began not celebrating from a young age and it continues now.

To see he fluffed two finals, am this is the thing 22 players play in finals and all those 22 are involved so to blame one man for the team losing the final by missing a one on one in those games is quite simply ridiculous.

He's arguable the greatest striker to play in the english league. and i'm not a united fan so i mean pre 1993 too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Could have won the 2001 Cup Final, but he fluffed it. Could have won the 2006 Champions League Final, he fluffed it.

He fluffed it again tonight, but Messi came to the rescue

Yeah, he also could have won the World Cup and European Cup with France, the English, Spanish and French leagues and cups at club level but he fluff... Oh no wait, he got all those.

I guess someone must have come to the rescue all those times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

Legend!!!!
    Great to see him finally win the CL, no other player deserves it more!!!!
    TH 14...................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Class act...

that is all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

henry_280x390_468458a.jpg

adore.gifadore.gifadore.gifadore.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

An absolute legend like many have already said and to say he has fluffed it in finals is sooo lol you mention two finals but the guy has played in how many finals?? And that cup final that was mentioned against Liverpool he was playing against three fcukin goalkeepers that day :rolleyes: and the champions league final with Arsenal we played the majority of the game with 10 men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

He is one of the all time greats no doubt.

From what I've seen he seems to be a nice character too.

I have great memories of him being the big threat of our rivals. He scored some great goals against United and graced many of the most entertaining games I've watched.

I'm really happy for him.

Could have won the 2006 Champions League Final, he fluffed it.
    Either you didn't watch that game or you don't know anything about football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Lots of people said he was holding back the young players again something I never bought into
    He said it himself too, in fairness: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=472428&cc=5739

Personally I think he was going through a bad time (personally and injury-wise) which probably manifested itself in that impatience with Hleb, Van Persie, etc. But he also did take time to try and improve Theo, Ade and Van Persie so it wasn't all bad. And I'd agree that it wasn't the only reason we didn't do better that year.

Still think it was probably the right time for him to go - but I'm delighted that he's managed to achieve success afterwards too.

Advertisement