Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ad hominem attack by Politics moderator

Options
  • 28-05-2009 1:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Well, if no-one else will answer that, I will (edit: sorry, I see nesf has also expressed an opinion). It's not an ad hominem attack, it's an expression of opinion (and pretty mild, at that). As far as I am aware, being a Mod does not either preclude me from having opinions, nor from expressing them - nor indeed does it make those opinions more worthy of a Help Desk thread than they would be if I were not a Mod.

Still, that, again, is just my personal opinion. Still, I do wish people would learn what an ad hominem attack is.

regards,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Your post is being read. We do not work to rigid time schedules here. You will be answered, you just have to wait your turn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

I didn't say they were considering the issue, I said they were reading your post.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

OK

Here's my straight up, off the top of my head opinion:

Seriously, an attack?
    A gently ribbing maybe. A tiny slight perhaps.
    So, he doesn't consider it worth getting into a discussion with you. Yup. It's the end of the world.

Now Scofflaw, I take it you know donegalfella enough to know what rubs him up the wrong way, so my suggestion is - try and be more sensitive.

donegalfella - grow a thicker skin. It's the internet. Some people are not going to consider it worth getting into a discussion with you.
    I'm pretty sure there are hundreds on this site who would have no interest whatsoever in getting into a discussion with me.
    Some have even told me so.
    I'm able to live with that. You should learn to also.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    OK

Here's my straight up, off the top of my head opinion:

Seriously, an attack?
    A gently ribbing maybe. A tiny slight perhaps.
    So, he doesn't consider it worth getting into a discussion with you. Yup. It's the end of the world.

Now Scofflaw, I take it you know donegalfella enough to know what rubs him up the wrong way, so my suggestion is - try and be more sensitive.

donegalfella - grow a thicker skin. It's the internet. Some people are not going to consider it worth getting into a discussion with you.
    I'm pretty sure there are hundreds on this site who would have no interest whatsoever in getting into a discussion with me.
    Some have even told me so.
    I'm able to live with that. You should learn to also.

Fair enough - I shall endeavour not to rib donegalfella in future. I evidently underestimated his sensitivity, although I had assumed he finds me equally annoying.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

That is based on a presumption, though. Quite a large presumption, at that. I would certainly not have asked another Politics mod to step in on my behalf, and I wouldn't censure a poster for expressing such an opinion about another poster or myself. I would also have said exactly the same things if I were not a mod - indeed, I would have said them a good deal more forthrightly, because I feel it was unfortunate that someone posting for the first time in the forum should have attracted one of your dogmatically illogical assaults.

Scofflaw

I've said all I intend to in this thread.

I'm seeing a lot of silliness over nothing.
    Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I think what we're seeing here is a moderator who has a demonstrable chip on his shoulder when it comes to me

I don't suppose that could go both ways, could it..?

I feel I should point out, by the way, that I don't have any issues whatsoever with donegalfella as a mod - he's one of the most trouble-free posters. I do think he's been a bit over-sensitive here, but I have no difficulty accepting that I was out of order as a poster. On the other hand, I resent the imputation that I am in some way sheltering behind my moderator position in doing so.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

That's not necessarily true. It's certainly how I would have dealt with it if it was any other two posters - I wouldn't consider it something worth acting on. I do see quite a lot of complaints that I don't act on, because I don't consider them justified.

Far worse happens on NI threads, and while I would eventually close such a thread I would be very unlikely to infract any particular poster unless their offence was a good deal more serious - the recent mass action is an attempt to prevent every single future NI thread degenerating exactly the same way.

To be fair, I probably would have intervened at about the point I stopped posting, reminding me to keep it civil and not start handbagging. Unfortunately, that would have looked very silly.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

In any case, I do owe you an apology.

apologetically,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

..and all is full of love.

*hugs*

Why can't all Help Desk threads end like this?

Advertisement