Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation in Waterford City for a FAS student

• 28-05-2009 1:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, just looking for advice really. I'm heading to Waterford for a course in June, it's either 2 or 3 weeks. Just wondering if anyone can recommend cheap accommodation :confused:. The allowance you get only covers 4 nights I think but as I'm in Donegal it won't really be worth my while coming back weekends seeing how that would cost me either €200 in petrol every time, or a whole day each way on trains and buses and around €100. Anyone know of any reasonably priced B&B's or of anyone willing to rent a room for a few weeks (empty student accommodation etc.)? Doesn't have to be in the city as I can take the car with me. Bad time of year for this :rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Whats your target budget for accommodation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Me next door neighbour is renting his place out now. Dunno how much it is but I can ask if ya want. Cant be to much. Nobody been in there in months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I suppose €50 a week would be great but anything less that the cost of traveling up and down would be considered. We will be given an accommodation list on arrival, but I'd like to have it sorted before I get there ideally, I was told 2 weeks and 3 weeks on separate occasions so I'll have to ring and double check that tomorrow :rolleyes:

And yes, it would be great if you could ask your neighbour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

The name won't come to me at the minute but there's a student accomodation down from the Mansion house, Strawberry something I think (i'm sure someone will post the name). It goes very cheap over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jayp

it would be worth your while ringing the WIT student accomdation crowd
    http://www.witcampusservices.ie/accommodation/index.php as I know they do rent out apartments (nothin specific on the website about short lettings in summer but outside manaor village they used to have banners on the building advertising rooms on a daily or weekly basis at a cheaper rate than the academic year)

Im sure with the lack of summer jobs around alot of the typical student accomodation hot spots will be vacant over the summer so you might get a good deal http://www.daft.ie/searchshortterm.daft?id=9552

Do you know which FAS complex you will be based in (Kilcohan/ Cork Rd industrial estate)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

that would be strawberry hill in johnstown ,

Thanks for the info guys, I'll check it all out;) Would I need the car in Waterford or not? I've been offered a lift down with another guy thats going in exchange for half the petrol expenses. Oh yeah, it's the Cork Road Ind Estate I'm going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Thanks for the info guys, I'll check it all out;) Would I need the car in Waterford or not? I've been offered a lift down with another guy thats going in exchange for half the petrol expenses.

Not unless you're living a good bit out, and even then there are buses. Johnstown is in walking distance from the city centre is that's where you're going.

Car would be nice to take spins out to beaches though. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

merlante wrote: »
    Not unless you're living a good bit out, and even then there are buses. Johnstown is in walking distance from the city centre is that's where you're going.

Car would be nice to take spins out to beaches though. :)

bring a few bob with ya and buy a second hand bike , it will save ya money on petrol . waterford is pretty small compared to other cities , and also most areas are serviced by bus , just depends where you live.

but yeah a car is handy if you wanna see the outer regions of waterford. but its not a necessity imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 stupidsometimes

Waterford buses are fairly good and FAS is near the enterance to the industrial estate as far as I can remember.

I would take the lift instead and leave the car unless you plan on bringing alot of stuff with you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Rigby1

Hi There,

I have some rooms available to let in the city that might suit Fas students call me on <snip - no mobile nos in public!> if you want to enquire further - we may be able to help each other out :o

Rigby1 wrote: »
    Hi There,

I have some rooms available to let in the city that might suit Fas students call me on <snip - no mobile nos in public!> if you want to enquire further - we may be able to help each other out :o

Thanks for posting! It's almost a year ago now though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 David Breen

Hi there - I have houses available for the Summer ( students going home if you are interested ) ring me on 086 8118222 - €50 Per Week if you have two in the house :) David Breen

Could mods please lock this post or something? It's over a year old.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement