Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant 2009/2010, advice needed.

Options
  • 28-05-2009 3:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I am a mature student, since Sept. and am in dire need of financial aid for the upcoming college year.

I have not been elligible for assistance over the past few years due to my father being employed, even though I have been financially independant of my parents since I was 19.

I had to move out of the family home recently due to ongoing stressful situations and believe that living out of home is the only way I can successfully complete my course as family problems have hindered my performance in the past.

Currently after paying rent I have only €50 a week for food and bills, I have some savings which will see me through until Oct. but wish to keep some incase of an emergency.

My question is should I apply as a mature student living at home with unemployed parents or an independant student who earned €8000 last year? I am aware that technically for independant mature status I have to prove that I have lived out of home since Oct 2008 and this is not the case. I do not wish to "scam" the system and use it as drink money as many students do, but wish to fully avail of a service which is there to help students with financial difficulties, and wish to recieve everything I am entitled to, this grant will be a means of survival for me.

I would apreciate any advice on the matter or any other grants/financial aid that I should apply for. Please do not suggest I move back home, I understand this is the most logical answer but this is not an option, it was hard enough to leave, over a year of planning, and have had many guilt trips/restless nights since I "abandoned" the family.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seanh111

Ya could anyone give me some advice aswel? Iv just finished the leaving n hopin to go to ucc. What grants am i eligible for and where do i apply?

Advertisement