Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longford to Edenderry by Public Transport

Options
  • 28-05-2009 4:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi,

Would anyone be able to help, I am trying to work out a way to get from Longford Town to Edenderry by Public Transport. At the moment I have to travel from Longford to Dublin and then Dublin to Edenderry. This is very time consuming. I have looked for transport from Mullingar/Kinnegad/Enfield to Edenderry, but there does not seem to be any links. Does anyone know of any?

Another way I have looked at is getting the bus from Longford to Maynooth, then Maynooth to Celbridge then Celbridge to Edenderry. Although this takes the same amount of time as travelling to Busáras.

Also if for example I bought a ticket on BusÉireann.ie (it says it's €13.50 child day return) for travel from Longford to Edenderry could I use it on the above journey via Maynooth and Celbridge or even on the journey via Dublin?

Could anyone help me with this?

Regards,
    Darren

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

A next to near impossible trip without changing in Dublin or close to it I'm afraid.

Slieve Bloom coaches did operate Mullingar-Tullamore but seem to have suspended it.

I'm afraid that it looks like your only option is via Dublin or the Spa Hotel in Lucan (both the inbound and outbound services on the Longford and Edenderry routes stop there) and yes whatever ticket the online system offers would be valid via Dublin as that is the route shown on the journey planner.

Your only other option is train to Connolly and bus but you're increasing costs with that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Should be possible, depending on timetable
    BusE: Edenderry-Tullamore
    Tullamore-Athlone
    Athlone-Longford

Not sure if it'd be faster time than via Dublin, or cheaper.

Bogger77 wrote: »
    Should be possible, depending on timetable
    BusE: Edenderry-Tullamore
    Tullamore-Athlone
    Athlone-Longford

Not sure if it'd be faster time than via Dublin, or cheaper.

Waits of at least an hour in Tullamore and Athlone (only one connection from Longford!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

KC61 wrote: »
    Waits of at least an hour in Tullamore and Athlone (only one connection from Longford!).
    I did say depending on timetable, always option of Kearns bus from Tullamore to Kinnegad, all dependant on time of day.

Indeed it does, and I wasn't arguing with you - just reinforcing the point that it's a damn difficult journey to do without a car!!

The fastest journey would appear to be on weekdays with the 0855 bus from Longford (service 022) to the Spa Hotel in Lucan, changing there (arrives about 1020ish) to the 1030 bus from Busarus (at about 1050ish) to Edenderry (service 120) arriving 1200.

3 hours 5 minutes.

Similarly the 0945 service ex-Longford would get you to the Spa Hotel for the 1130 ex-Busarus.

Earlier than that would require a train to Dublin and then a bus out.

Print off the following pages and they should help you in planning a journey:

Timetable for Longford-Dublin
    http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1242378678-115.pdf

Timetable for Dublin-Edenderry
    http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1202394311-120.pdf

You'll need to estimate times for the Spa Hotel for connections.

Train times for Dublin/Longford are at:
    http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/printed_timetable_pdfs/2009/Dublin%20Maynooth%2009.pdf

• Advertisement
Advertisement