Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a bit more life from a laptop

Options
  • 28-05-2009 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi,

I currently have a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop. Decent GFX card, Pentium M 1.83Ghz CPU, 1 gig ram, **** 80 gig HD and good 17" screen. Where would be the best place to upgrade the RAM, CPU and HD to get some more mileage from this?

I'm buying/building a new desktop but still want to have a half decent laptop to lug around.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Bit tired now really. Is that the Go6800 model? The CPU isn't upgradable - many Dells have their CPUs soldered into the socket :eek: Even if you were able to swap it out, what for? 1.83GHz Dothan was close to the top for Socket 479... Core only appeared on Socket M (and switched to Socket P soon after) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭jeff lebowski

Yeah think its the go 6800 model. Would it be worth adding the max RAM and a bigger HD even, leave the CPU as is? If so, would this be inexpensive and easy enought to do? Dont really want to buy a new high-end laptop as I am getting a desktop and laptops seem to be difficult to upgrade, unlike a desktop machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Definitely get some RAM if you want to see a performance boost but be wary of getting anything over 3GB if you're using a 32-bit OS as you won't be able to utilise it all. Hard drives for laptops can be a costly upgrade (IDE drives more so than SATA drives) and if you're going to be building a system shortly I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Another recomendation I'll make is to possible look into the use of a light weight Linux install such as puppy linux which boots you into a no-nonsense environment which would allow you to perform basic tasks such as websurfing and word processing. As a result of this you can get a bit more life batterywise from the laptop and the OS can be run from a small pendrive removing the need to even have a hard-drive if everything you need is already on the pen drive.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Upgrade the RAM and HDD - check whether you need IDE or SATA first. 2GB RAM and a larger (as required) HDD will update the laptop a little, but without a stronger pin-compatible CPU to drop in you're performance is largely limited to what you already have :(

After that your best bet is backup-and-reinstall and see if you can get just a bit more juice out of your old laptop with a clean new OS installation.

If you need any more performance its new-enthusisast-grade-laptop time again. Hope you have €1400+ to spare :(

Advertisement