Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wolverine and the XMen

Options
  • 28-05-2009 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭

I couldnt find a cartoons sections, so I thought I had better post here

have any of you watched this series, it really is good! ... its the closest in story lines and arc's to the comic series that I use to love.

The second series is due to start in the states soon, and will focus on the Age of Apocalypse... I can not wait :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

There's only a prime time cartoon forum not a general cartoon forum so click on the link in my sig to add support to an animation forum that would cover all animation and cartoons :p

When I saw the first lot of preview art from the show I wasn't overly gone but it's actually a really great show with some thought and effort put into the characters. Nightcrawler is esp good and not in it enough for my liking. The only annoying thing is the delay in the dvd release and then the region 2 releases are coming out in dribs and drabs - first dvd only has 7 eps on it and the next isn't due out till August. Wish they'd just put out a season 1 box set and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

Ive been watching it through the bbc iplayer service, and top class service it is!

I like the fact that there is proper story arc's in them and they seem well structured, I really look forward to the next series as Apocalypse is my fav villian!

Apocalypse: " I am the rocks of the eternal shore, crash against me and be broken!"

I've been watching it the same way but I'd like to have the dvd firstly so i can watch it on my tv and not my mac but also to show support for the show, there was alot of ifs and maybes about them getting a second season. Saying that I'm not going spend money on several dvds when you know they'll bring a full season 1 box set out at some point. I picked up all of the 2003 TMNT series on dvds with 4 eps per dvd, pain in the ass then they bring out the full season 1, ahhh.

I'm looking forward to seeing them do AOA as it's always been one my fav story lines in the x-books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭bongotime

its amazin so good I can't express words. ever detail is taken care off. I think the creators of the wolverine movie should have watched that first before they made that awful movie....

Heres the Thing but. right on the last esp when there fighting the sentiel creator robot and they all get sucked into it.

next min professor x is chatting away about the apocal

sorry but in age of apocal magneto runs the x men and charles is dead.

in the whole series they followed ever single person in it properly and then in the last esp they went wild

why i ask why when they were doin so well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

ztoical wrote: »
    Saying that I'm not going spend money on several dvds when you know they'll bring a full season 1 box set out at some point. I picked up all of the 2003 TMNT series on dvds with 4 eps per dvd, pain in the ass then they bring out the full season 1, ahhh.

I'm looking forward to seeing them do AOA as it's always been one my fav story lines in the x-books.

Yeah that is pretty annoying, did the same thing with the Ben 10 series....and now the clone wars looks like its going the same way.

I have only seen 1 or 2 episodes of the X-men series but for me every X-MEN cartoon is going to be compared to the 90's one and it will never be topped. Also I think the fact that every new series has to revolve around Wolverine takes away from it. The X-men universe features a lot of better characters that could be focused on but every tv series is based around Wolverine who is portrayed in the exact same one dimensional way every time( also happens in the comics.). I know why it happens but it doesn't make it any more appealing to watch.

• Advertisement

Also I think the fact that every new series has to revolve around Wolverine takes away from it.

Have to say that's one of the reasons I wasn't keen when I first heard about this series. The second I heard the name I was like "what, why does Wolverine get his name in the title?" I don't like the focus on him, as like you say, I find him very one sided and portrayed pretty much the same every time. I do think when the other characters are spot lighted in this version they are done very well. I also really like the design and style and the animator in me loves some of the animation. The production values are really high for a saturday kid cartoon and some of the animators from the show have posted design work and sketches on their blogs that has been really interesting to see. Hate the opening credits.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I have only seen 1 or 2 episodes of the X-men series but for me every X-MEN cartoon is going to be compared to the 90's one and it will never be topped. Also I think the fact that every new series has to revolve around Wolverine takes away from it. The X-men universe features a lot of better characters that could be focused on but every tv series is based around Wolverine who is portrayed in the exact same one dimensional way every time( also happens in the comics.). I know why it happens but it doesn't make it any more appealing to watch.

I'll be honest, I watched the 90s series as a teenager and loved it. I tried to rewatch some of it recently and it really hasn't aged well, sadly. What I've seen of X-Men: Evolution looks far better, for example, although I don't know whether the writing is significantly better. Haven't seen Wolverine & The X-men but I agree that it's getting a bit tiresome having Wolverine everywhere - it's like they think we all sit around thinking "Mmm, if only I could get some more sweet, sweet Logan"...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

ztoical wrote: »
    Have to say that's one of the reasons I wasn't keen when I first heard about this series. The second I heard the name I was like "what, why does Wolverine get his name in the title?" I don't like the focus on him, as like you say, I find him very one sided and portrayed pretty much the same every time. I do think when the other characters are spot lighted in this version they are done very well. I also really like the design and style and the animator in me loves some of the animation. The production values are really high for a saturday kid cartoon and some of the animators from the show have posted design work and sketches on their blogs that has been really interesting to see. Hate the opening credits.

Yeah it does get tiresome I even picked up the "Hulk Vs" dvd a few weeks ago and the second story is basically a Wolverine story with a guest appearance from the Hulk.....but the fact the Wolverine is completely overshadowed by Deadpool shows that Marvel should take a chance on other characters rather than rely on Wolverine's popularity.

Fysh wrote: »
    I'll be honest, I watched the 90s series as a teenager and loved it. I tried to rewatch some of it recently and it really hasn't aged well, sadly.

I have watched some of it myself but only have the first series and even when it originally aired I remember it going downhill after the second series.

But I think even if it is bad I will always hold that and Spider-man TAS in a special place because I associate them with a time when I was getting into comics properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

I much prefer this one to the 90's Xmen cartoon. I think that the title is a bit misleading as its really just an Xmen series with Wolverines name plasterd over it for marketing purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭subedei

Fysh wrote: »
    I'll be honest, I watched the 90s series as a teenager and loved it. I tried to rewatch some of it recently and it really hasn't aged well, sadly. What I've seen of X-Men: Evolution looks far better, for example, although I don't know whether the writing is significantly better. Haven't seen Wolverine & The X-men but I agree that it's getting a bit tiresome having Wolverine everywhere - it's like they think we all sit around thinking "Mmm, if only I could get some more sweet, sweet Logan"...

Just watched the 90's Xmen there again last year, still think its great. My favourite animation series with the early 90's Batman. To be honest I think it looks closest to the comics in art style, which makes some of the animation poor and jerky but still prefer it to the more anime influenced style of animation nowadays. Plus you have the theme song! How can anything compare to that. Think it also had the best show of different xmen characters.

I hate Xmen Evolution, tis the worst, but Wolverine and the Xmen is good I think, not as good or even anywhere near the 90's one but much better than Evolution. Think Evolution was annoyingly childish, well thats my personal opinion anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Yeah it does get tiresome I even picked up the "Hulk Vs" dvd a few weeks ago and the second story is basically a Wolverine story with a guest appearance from the Hulk.....

It was wolverine's first appearance. If I remember correctly, it was pretty much how it was written in the comic. You're right though, it's pretty one sided. I've seen the Hulk vs. and other Marvel animated features, and i'm going to have to say, they focus more on the hulk than any other character. I know the hulk is "the strongest there is", but it's almost like the other films (Avengers I&II, New Avengers) are all showing the main characters to fill in the story until the Hulk gets there and does his thing.

but the fact the Wolverine is completely overshadowed by Deadpool shows that Marvel should take a chance on other characters rather than rely on Wolverine's popularity.

I agree with you completely here. Deadpool for me became one of my favourite characters after reading the 4 part mini series where he teamed up with Siryn against Black Tom. The opening in the bar talking about his fight with wolverine (and showing off his face), saying "You should have seen the other guy". I loved the mouth part of the merc, but wasn't altogether fond of the series when it came out. I didn't think the art work was as good as the mini series', and the few story arcs I read were just a bit too out there for me to take him seriously as a character while at the same time enjoying his humour.

I hadn't even heard about this new show though, so i'm going to go check it out now.

Advertisement