Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL Router Vs DSL Router

Options
  • 28-05-2009 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

Just wondering if you can clarify something for me. I used to have Smart Telecom and had a Belkin ADSL router and all 3 of us in the apartment connected to it and the internet no problem. I've since changed from Smart to UPC but still using the same Belkin ADSL router. We've have been having problems connecting to the internet since. Well 1 of us have as any 2 people can connect but the when the third person tries, they can connect to the router but not to the internet.

I rang Belkin support and they informed me that this Belkin ADSL router does not support cable broadband and is only for phone line broadband and this was the reason why the router was only limiting to 2 users to connect to the internet. Is that right? I would have thought since 2 people could connect to the internet then there shouldn't be a limit on the amount of users connecting to the router? They advised me to buy a DSL router instead.

Is this right or can I change the settings on the ADSL router to allow for 3 users to connect to the internet?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

PIMPHO wrote: »
    Just wondering if you can clarify something for me. I used to have Smart Telecom and had a Belkin ADSL router and all 3 of us in the apartment connected to it and the internet no problem. I've since changed from Smart to UPC but still using the same Belkin ADSL router. We've have been having problems connecting to the internet since. Well 1 of us have as any 2 people can connect but the when the third person tries, they can connect to the router but not to the internet.

I rang Belkin support and they informed me that this Belkin ADSL router does not support cable broadband and is only for phone line broadband and this was the reason why the router was only limiting to 2 users to connect to the internet. Is that right? I would have thought since 2 people could connect to the internet then there shouldn't be a limit on the amount of users connecting to the router? They advised me to buy a DSL router instead.

Is this right or can I change the settings on the ADSL router to allow for 3 users to connect to the internet?

Thanks

What IP addresses are the two working PC's getting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Thanks
    NTL uses a cable router, not a DSL router. An ADSL router is for Broadband that comes through the phone line - NTL is a cable box on the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭PIMPHO

Spear wrote: »
    What IP addresses are the two working PC's getting?

Something like 82.193.214 and the other one is .215. Something like that anyways.

cpu-dude wrote: »
    NTL uses a cable router, not a DSL router. An ADSL router is for Broadband that comes through the phone line - NTL is a cable box on the wall.

But why are 2 people able to connect to the ADSL router eventhough it's not compatible with NTL's broadband? If 2 people can why not 3 or more?

So what type of router do you recommend I get? Something cheap and cheerful.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Something like 82.193.214 and the other one is .215. Something like that anyways.

That's what I thought. Your router thinks it's WAN interface is still the modem, so it's just acting as a switch to your local machines and passing their DHCP requests on through the modem to UPC. Unless there's a way to deactivate the modem and designate a port as the new WAN interface, you'll need a plain broadband router instead.

• Advertisement

Spear wrote: »
    That's what I thought. Your router thinks it's WAN interface is still the modem, so it's just acting as a switch to your local machines and passing their DHCP requests on through the modem to UPC. Unless there's a way to deactivate the modem and designate a port as the new WAN interface, you'll need a plain broadband router instead.

Any suggestions for a suitable router so?

Thanks

Any suggestions for a suitable router so?

Thanks

The pretty much standard answer is a WRT54GL.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=314078

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you might still be able to sort it out. i just RSVP's about the BBQ so I can take a look on Saturday if you can hang on that long?

even if we can't get it working, I actually have a spare router at home that would do the job nicely that we can use to test it out if you like. I'll bring it over with me anyway, I just have to try and find the power supply for it. I might only have one with a european plug on it if you have a euro adapter?

vibe666 wrote: »
    you might still be able to sort it out. i just RSVP's about the BBQ so I can take a look on Saturday if you can hang on that long?

even if we can't get it working, I actually have a spare router at home that would do the job nicely that we can use to test it out if you like. I'll bring it over with me anyway, I just have to try and find the power supply for it. I might only have one with a european plug on it if you have a euro adapter?

See you at the BBQ so, hopefully it will be a SCORCHER! :p

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

But why are 2 people able to connect to the ADSL router eventhough it's not compatible with NTL's broadband? If 2 people can why not 3 or more?

Because NTL give each customer up to 2 IP addresses, which is why 2 can connect, but not 3.

• Advertisement

jor el wrote: »
    Because NTL give each customer up to 2 IP addresses, which is why 2 can connect, but not 3.

So can I ask them to give me another IP address? I assume this won't be an issue if I change the router to a plain broadband router?

So can I ask them to give me another IP address? I assume this won't be an issue if I change the router to a plain broadband router?

With a router in place, the router will get one, and the internal machines will get internal addresses NAT'd to the public address.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It seems to me that the router is not acting as it should and maybe needs to be set up correctly.

Your router should be issuing LAN IP addresses in the range 192.168.x.y and the PCs should be set up to accept those IP addresses. Set up like this a router is capable of connecting up to 254 PCs to the internet (depending on model).

What appears to be happening, from the little info available, is that your PCs are getting WAN side IP addresses, whose quantity your ISP will normally limit -- 1 or 2 if no special arrangements have been made.

It may be as simple as setting up the connections in the PCs or you may need to adjust the settings in the router. At present it seems your router is not acting as a NAT router at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No.

You are better with a Router/Firewall. It has an ethernet wan socket instead of phone line socket. Some retailers call them cable routers or cable/dsl routers. There is no Modem built in.

A regular DSL/ADSL modem/router can't be used as it's fifth WAN port is internal to the modem, it can't do NAT, firewall or any kind of routing between the regular 4 switch ports and/or WiFi.

i'm going to set him up with a spare wrt54g i have with dd-wrt on it at the weekend, so we'll have him sorted one way or another. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

i'm going to set him up with a spare wrt54g i have with dd-wrt on it at the weekend, so we'll have him sorted one way or another. :)

Boards is so incestuous!!! :D Hope it lashes!!!

dub45 wrote: »
    Boards is so incestuous!!! :D Hope it lashes!!!
    ye fecker! :p

gonna have a big fat burger with your name on it now just to spite ye! :D:D:D

ye fecker! :p

gonna have a big fat burger with your name on it now just to spite ye! :D:D:D

Here here! Make that 2 fat burgers with your name on it!:P:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It seems to me that the router is not acting as it should and maybe needs to be set up correctly.

The issue is that a DSL modem/router will not route traffic between the Ethernet ports, because the routing is done internally to the phone line port. As it stands, it's operating as a switch.

A broadband router has an Ethernet WAN port, and can route between the two Ethernet networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

jor el wrote: »
    The issue is that a DSL modem/router will not route traffic between the Ethernet ports, because the routing is done internally to the phone line port. As it stands, it's operating as a switch.

A broadband router has an Ethernet WAN port, and can route between the two Ethernet networks.

OK I am confused .... and that is official. :)

I thought he had a router -- that is a NAT router.
    OK, it is a modem/NAT-router.
    I have such a beast here I think .... a Netopia supplied by Eircom.
    That device issues LAN IP addresses to connecting PCs, provided the device is set up to do so. It allows the PCs to connect to the internet from IP addresses in the range 192.168.1.xxx
    It will also "pass-through" the NAT and allow a PC to get a WAN IP if the ISP settings are entered in the PC. That is what I believed was happening in his setup.

I was suggesting that the PCs could be set up to get LAN IP addresses, and the router set up to issue them.

Of course I have no idea what the capability of the device in question is .... but I would certainly try doing that before I would go and buy another device.

regards.

• Advertisement

don't worry, I have one for him and it'll do the job nicely, assuming I can dig out the PSU from wherever it's hiding. :)

Advertisement