Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cokin Yellow filter effect!

• 28-05-2009 11:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭

I started messing with a Cokin adapter & yellow filter the last few days.
    Set-up (on an old manual Pentax 28mm) :

946CDC402C9740579B20B10F3DFF98B6-240.jpg

I got some interesting results.
    What do ye think, should I persist with it ? Maybe get different filters for different effects ? I like it for the sunsets, as I can get detail in the foreground, without the sun 'blowing' it out.

35A82BE092A447B89E62DC0A941C9554-500.jpg

BD6ACEC6FE874978A73B08E7A010EB0E-500.jpg

7DFEDE49C2104CD0870920348DCADBFC-500.jpg

F78963743E2B4CA7B59DF2FA817EE386-500.jpg

4CCDF8A1B12241E6B91786EEFCB1E818-500.jpg

8924713780B147D5BFA99C443A8DBF15-500.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Ah hell, everyone is playing with filters now. I need a new gimick to mess around with :-)

Nice shots. LIke the third last one in particular.

I could be tempted by a yellow one now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Thanks. I'm messing around with them, as they were part of a friends old film kit that they gave me (ahem I mean borrowed) :o
    Would you recommend any other type filters ? Could I get an infra-red one ? I thought I saw one while browsing.........mmm....I must goooooogle again !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Shot 1 & 2 are great, but I feel shot 3 is over-done, because the sky is so dramatic (it's great), compaired to the bright feel to the foreground wall.

I mean the sky looks like it's about to explode with fury, yet the foreground looks like an ordinary day - if that makes any sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I dunno, I think they're a little ... overstated ... The sunset ones are nice, the two with the hard edge on the clouds I don't like. Too artificial looking. Maybe if there was a softer transition they might look a little better. I think though it's just too strong a colour for general use. Its like Horatio Cain is going to jump out from behind that bush ...

IR cokin filter you might have seen is probably the SFX filter, although they might do others. It's afaik only avaible in cokin P size. Your setup looks like an A filter holder ?

Thanks. I'm messing around with them, as they were part of a friends old film kit that they gave me (ahem I mean borrowed) :o
    Would you recommend any other type filters ? Could I get an infra-red one ? I thought I saw one while browsing.........mmm....I must goooooogle again !

I have a couple of grads, a blue and a tobacco plus a selection of ND grads. I have fun with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

number 1 & 3 are beautiful shots, good job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

Its like Horatio Cain is going to jump out from behind that bush ...

''What we have here, people.... .......is a photograph...'':cool:

fwiw i like some of the above, looks like fun. have been thinking bout getting an adaptor/holder and some cokins meself but am totally confused as to what i want to get first. does the quality of some of the el cheapo ones on e-bay matter?!

It's afaik only avaible in cokin P size. Your setup looks like an A filter holder ?
    mmmmm.......yes, I might have been googling Cokin P. I think I must have the A adapter alright, I didn't look it up yet :o I just attached the gear & went snapping !
    The kit contents are: Cokin (1 filter ring + 1 filter holder) A (308). The 2 filter boxes are: Double Exposure A (346), and Gradual B1 A (122).
    I also have a few screw on filters, an ND grad *2, ND grad *8, and a CPL.
    All interesting possibilities for further.........messing about !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

mmmmm.......yes, I might have been googling Cokin P. I think I must have the A adapter alright, I didn't look it up yet :o I just attached the gear & went snapping !
    The kit contents are: Cokin (1 filter ring + 1 filter holder) A (308). The 2 filter boxes are: Double Exposure A (346), and Gradual B1 A (122).
    I also have a few screw on filters, an ND grad *2, ND grad *8, and a CPL.
    All interesting possibilities for further.........messing about !

http://www.adorama.com/Filters_Infra-Red_Filters_Cokin.html

Looks like they do normal IR filters in all sizes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Ooooh. I never saw the point of colour filters before - But Id never be able to get that effect in PS. Nice one. I want a yellow filter now. Just got 2 4ND's the other day - they're amazingly fun!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭TheNorthBank

Some very interesting effects there, I love the 1st one of the cows/sunset, its brilliant. I have the p series adapter, holder and ND8 but very tempted to get a yellow now. Was going to get a tobacco grad anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Some very interesting effects there, I love the 1st one of the cows/sunset, its brilliant. I have the p series adapter, holder and ND8 but very tempted to get a yellow now. Was going to get a tobacco grad anyway.

nd8....i like, i've always wanted to pile a few of them up and shoot long exposure landscapes during the day, seem great results

i've always wanted to pile a few of them up
    I just thought of that a while ago, I could put on the ND*2, ND*8, CPL, then twist on the adapter then add the yellow filter ! Yikes, dark.....:eek::p

I stack filters just for the hell of it. Hence the crazy pinks and purples I've had lately.

Advertisement