Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan

Options
  • 28-05-2009 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Hi guys, myself and the girlfriend are staying in Balbriggan for the holiday weekend.

We'll most likely travel into Dublin on the Sunday so were looking for things to do, places of interest on the Saturday and Monday. Tips on restaurants and places to get a nice lunch would be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance.

Mick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

My advice is to get the bus to Skerries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Without wanting to bad-mouth Balbriggan, I'd agree with bluetonic, go to Skerries, have a walk on the beach followed by a few quick pints in any of the pubs on the harbour.

If the weather is good, you'll be in paradise.

Might be even an idea to stop at The Lady Stairs stop half way between Balbriggan and Skerries and go into Ardgillan and visit the castle, wall garden and coffee shop.

The bus is the 33 by the way, Dublin Bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

Thanks for the replies, how far from Balbriggan is Skerries? Looking forward to a nice relaxing weekend, the weather forecast is looking good as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

bluesfan wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, how far from Balbriggan is Skerries? Looking forward to a nice relaxing weekend, the weather forecast is looking good as well.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/33/

About 15 minutes according to Dublin Bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

If you want a chill out weekend there are places to eat in Balbriggan. Golden Emperor Chinese is good and near the hotel - I assume you are staying in the Bracken Court. Feis Garden is quite nice too. The hotel itself does bar food all day which is good. Harveys in the Harvest Pub is an american diner style steak/burger house which I like. Castellini Chianti is a good Italian. There is a better choice in Skerries and lots of Balbriggan people seem to go there but I have to say I dont bother - either I stay local or I will go to town(Dublin) if I want a change.

I would agree a trip to Argillan Castle is a good option especially on a nice day. The views are amazing and you can have something to eat in the coffee shop and stroll around the beautiful gardens, there is usually an art exhibition or something on in the castle. You could easily walk there from Balbriggan via the ladys stairs. Or if you want a nice secluded beach walk, head towards Gormanstown on Balbriggan beach.

The traditional Man O War pub(they used to have a lovely restaurant too but its ages since I was there) or the Seamus Ennis Centre(trad/folk live music venue) are not too far away by taxi. O'Sheas Bar at the Harbour usually have a good live band on a Friday night if thats your thing.

It really depends on what you are into.

wow sierra wrote: »
    O'Sheas Bar at the Harbour usually have a good live band on a Friday night if thats your thing.
    Big Generator this Friday night, they are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

Thanks all, some good ideas there. Argillan Castle sounds nice so hopefully we'll pay that a visit, everything else we'll play by ear, at least now we have an idea of what's there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 paddylishious

ok sat try going to swords for the farmers market plus you have the pivollins shopping cebtre and loads of nice places to eat. sunday why not a little drive to howth or malahide both have loads of nice spots to walk around and visit, if you want to stay around balbriggan then you have harvys to eat (like eddie rockets or captin americas) and some little local indian,chinnese,italian eaterys, also some nice pubs for a drink,and theres also a pitch & putt (balrothery i think) tennis courts etc and theres always the beach area which is lovely for a nice romantic walk, was there with my gf last weekend in the sun
    paddy :)

Advertisement