Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toireasa Ferris again refuses to condemn Jerry McCabes killers

Options
  • 28-05-2009 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Well Kerrys answer to Sharon Stone was on the radio again this morning and again saw no reason to condemn the thieving, scumbag criminals who in the process of botching a robbery shot dead a married father of five children in cold blood as he attempted to carrying out his professional duties.

- Running for a local seat in case she flops as a Euro Candidate and running for Europe in case the locals see through her, Toireasa is covering all the bases but what can this election Candidate offer anyone from such an incredibly dilapidated, rotten, indefensible moral platform?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Yeah shes just a run of the mill Shinner - and me saying that makes me a West Brit I suppose or something.

Good post here by Liam Byrne on Ferris' elector letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,960 ✭✭✭✭walshb

They aren't still harassing her for condemnation of an event that happened
    when she herself was very young. This has been done to death. I remember a few years ago this was brought upon her!

The girl is a politician and if this is the best they can come up with
    to discredit her, then it's sad!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

walshb wrote: »
    They aren't still harassing her for condemnation of an event that happened
    when she herself was very young.
    "They" wouldn't be harassing her for a condemnation, if she'd just do what any right-thinking person would do and condemn it.
    This has been done to death.
    An unfortunate turn of phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

This is old news.

It says a lot more about the poor quality of Kerry Radio that they would bring this old chestnut up again. What about dealing with the real issues of this election. Were they that stuck for questions. Voters of Sein Fein know the position so there really is no point..it will not make one fecking difference. Just some cheap point scoring.

I wish people would get off over with their false indignation. The same people who stayed silent for years while, attended Sunday Mass and turned a blind eye to the abusers in the Church.

Get real people.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    "They" wouldn't be harassing her for a condemnation, if she'd just do what any right-thinking person would do and condemn it. An unfortunate turn of phrase.
    There have been hundreds of deaths due to the IRA and the Loyalists. What do you want here? And hundreds of times, both sides refused to condemn. Can we move on!
    The girl was only a youngster when this happened. Why does she even have to comment
    on something that she had NO part in?

• Advertisement

There have been hundreds of deaths due to the IRA and the Loyalists. What do you want here?
    An unequivocal condemnation of every murder by every murderer of any political persuasion.

It's not a lot to ask of someone who's supposedly committed to democracy. Think of it as an absolute minimum standard that I'd expect from anyone looking for my vote.

An unequivocal condemnation of every murder by every murderer of any political persuasion.

It's not a lot to ask of someone who's supposedly committed to democracy. Think of it as an absolute minimum standard that I'd expect from anyone looking for my vote.

Then don't vote for them.

The position of Sein Fein in relation to this matter is crystal clear and will not change.

Get over it.

I wish people would get off over with their false indignation. The same people who stayed silent for years while, attended Sunday Mass and turned a blind eye to the abusers in the Church.
    Let's turn that around. What would you say if I criticised some of the people who are currently expressing anger at the church, on the grounds that they "stayed silent for years" on the subject of paramilitary violence?

There's a lot of anger being directed at certain quarters who are trying to downplay the horror of the current child abuse scandal. Why is it a problem if some of us are angry at those who would downplay the horror of a garda murdered in cold blood?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Voters of Sein Fein know the position so there really is no point

But other voters who might be tempted to vote for someone who condones murdering our law enforcement officers might decide differently if they know about it.

It's amazing, really.....people demand answers to where candidates stand on abortion or divorce or whatever, and vote if someone condones abortion or otherwise.

Why the hell can't they do that if someone condones murder ?

Why shouldn't Radio Kerry ask ?
    They aren't still harassing her for condemnation of an event that happened when she herself was very young.

By that reckoning, if she was asked if she condemned the Holocaust or 9/11 and said that she wouldn't, you'd complain about the "before-her-time" question rather than the answer too ?

WTF ? Most people going to Sunday Mass knew nothing about the level of abuse!

And ironically, if they knew they might have made an informed decision.

Which the people of Kerry might do now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

There have been hundreds of deaths due to the IRA and the Loyalists. What do you want here? And hundreds of times, both sides refused to condemn.
    The Unionist part and the DUP ( like most parties worldwide ) always condemned murders of innocent people, the murders of people doing their job as employed by the elected government ( eg the police etc ). Its incorrect to say " both sides refused to condemn ".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Can we move on!

I think Ferris is the one who needs this advise.

Did Ferris murder Jerry?

The woman doesn't have comment on this matter, like I said, she was
    a child and had ZERO to do with it. Where does it end? Is this woman
    expected to condemn any act that was committed by persons
    within the IRA? What has it got to do with her?

Maggie Thatcher did quite well in Britain and I don't recall
    her ever condemning the deaths of Irish men or women.

Ferris has nothing to be ashamed of and has the right to remain
    silent when pressed by a couple of journos trying to
    make a name for themselves

Sure she sank a ship in the Falklands without breaking sweat

Then don't vote for them.

The position of Sein Fein in relation to this matter is crystal clear and will not change.
    Absolutely. And as long as their position remains as it is, there's not the faintest hope in hell that any member of Sinn Féin will ever get my vote for anything whatsoever.
    Get over it.
    Nope. Their position is unacceptable. When they change that position, I'll reconsider my view of them.

jimmmy wrote: »
    The Unionist part and the DUP ( like most parties worldwide ) always condemned murders of innocent people, the murders of people doing their job as employed by the elected government ( eg the police etc ). Its incorrect to say " both sides refused to condemn ".

Innocent people YES, unless those "innocent" people happened to be Catholic or Nationalist or Irish or IRA members or Sinn Fein members!

And, fake condemnation IMO is a whole lot worse than NO condemnation!

The woman doesn't have comment on this matter, like I said, she was
    a child and had ZERO to do with it.
    She's standing for election as a member of a political party which actively supported people who murdered a member of this state's police force, and she continues to tacitly express that support.

I think the public are entitled to know whether a candidate will side with the state's law enforcement officers, or with those who would murder them.

BTW, Jerry was carrying out his duties, and one of them was to shoot to death the robbers if need be!
    The robbers shot Jerry before he could shoot them. Sad, but true.

Let's just suppose for a second that Bertie lost the rag with the tribunal judge and shot him.....

Would you expect Cowen to have an opinion on it ?
    Would you expect Cowen to evict him ?
    Would Cowen's opinions and comments on it make you judge him ?
    walshb wrote:
    like I said, she was a child and had ZERO to do with it. Where does it end? Is this woman expected to condemn any act that was committed by persons
    within the IRA? What has it got to do with her?

I assume she's had ZERO to do with the corruption in FF, either, but that doesn't stop her having an opinion on that, does it ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Oscar didnt you say that us Irish never get over the past?;)
    Maybe you should take a leaf from your own phrase.

BTW, Jerry was carrying out his duties, and one of them was to shoot to death the robbers if need be!
    The "robbers" (how much did they get away with, again?) rammed Det Gda McCabe's car from behind, and riddled him with bullets while he sat stunned in his seat. He never reached for his gun.

Disgusting, disgraceful, sickening. But true.

It's old news. Sinn Fein never publicly condemned IRA actions.

Now, we're asking a woman who had NOTHING to do with Sinn Fein or the IRA when
    Jerry was shot to comment on it. All for a story or to gain points?

Change the record. The same people who are asking for condemnation
    couldn't give a toss and are simply trying to create a story and make a name for themselves

• Advertisement

jank wrote: »
    Oscar didnt you say that us Irish never get over the past?;)
    Maybe you should take a leaf from your own phrase.
    That's a fair point, on the face of it. But I'm not talking about dragging up ancient history - I'm talking about the current Sinn Féin party, whose current stance seems to be that it's not a big problem to execute members of the state's police force.

Like I said - minimum standards.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    But other voters who might be tempted to vote for someone who condones murdering our law enforcement officers might decide differently if they know about it.

It's amazing, really.....people demand answers to where candidates stand on abortion or divorce or whatever, and vote if someone condones abortion or otherwise.

Why the hell can't they do that if someone condones murder ?

Why shouldn't Radio Kerry ask ?

By that reckoning, if she was asked if she condemned the Holocaust or 9/11 and said that she wouldn't, you'd complain about the "before-her-time" question rather than the answer too ?

WTF ? Most people going to Sunday Mass knew nothing about the level of abuse!

And ironically, if they knew they might have made an informed decision.

Which the people of Kerry might do now.

Okay. Sein Fein IMO will never exceed 10-12% of the vote. They will always hit that celing and will not break through it.

The people who vote Sein Fein are not ignorant as the politcial situation over the last 40 years or indeed the killings of Jerry McCabe. They know this.

You seem to be worred that people will vote for Sein Fein not realising that they not condemn the murder of Jerry McCabe and that this it is important that everyone is made aware of the postion.

Come on give the people some credit...:rolleyes:

This has got to be one of the most sickening posts I have read on boards.

Jerry was carrying out his duties on OUR behalf. LEGALLY.

The scumbag robbers were acting on their own behalf. ILLEGALLY.

There is NO comparison. :mad:

The "robbers" (how much did they get away with, again?) rammed Det Gda McCabe's car from behind, and riddled him with bullets while he sat stunned in his seat. He never reached for his gun.

Disgusting, disgraceful, sickening. But true.
    Yes, but what the **** has this to do with Ferris?
    She didn't do it, so why harass her to comment?

I do believe she and Sinn Fein regret the loss
    of innocent persons in the conflict

She's standing for election as a member of a political party which actively supported people who murdered a member of this state's police force, and she continues to tacitly express that support.

I think the public are entitled to know whether a candidate will side with the state's law enforcement officers, or with those who would murder them.

Come on now..OscarB..you make it sound like some mass cover up to hide the truth.

As I have said above, the people who vote Sein Fein or ar likely to vote Sein Fein are well aware of their position. Give them some credit...

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    This has got to be one of the most sickening posts I have read on boards.

Gerry Jerry was carrying out his duties on OUR behalf. LEGALLY.

The scumbag robbers were acting on their own behalf. ILLEGALLY.

There is NO comparison. :mad:

Calm down fella. Simply put, those men were scum. I know this, but
    in the real world, they acted and acted before Jerry acted. They preserved
    their lives. Jerry was there to intercept and protect our lives; in doing this he
    had to be prepared to kill. Now, if I was a robber and armed and a scumbag. I would shoot to death a copper who could possibly shoot to death me.

Don't be making out I am saluting these criminals. I am not. I am pointing
    out the reality of the situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... I do believe she and Sinn Fein regret the loss

Might they be persuaded to go so far as to regret the killing of them?

Yes, but what the **** has this to do with Ferris?
    She didn't do it, so why harass her to comment?
    She represents a political party whose official position is that the murder of a police officer is not something they're prepared to condemn.

If a representative of the Purple Party was running in my constituency, and that party's stated policy was that the priests who perpetrated the disgusting abuse of children over several years should not be condemned, I wouldn't vote for them either.
    I do believe she and Sinn Fein regret the loss
    Regretting the loss of someone, while tacitly condoning their murder, doesn't cut it for me.

You seem to be worred that people will vote for Sein Fein not realising that they not condemn the murder of Jerry McCabe and that this it is important that everyone is made aware of the postion.

Less of the rolleyes, please; while you can choose to read it that way, I'd MUCH prefer if it went the other way.

That people condemned what should be condemned and therefore showed themselves to be true politicians and democrats.

That all candidates were above board morally and ethically - be that SF condemning and weeding out murderers and criminals, or FF condemning and weeding out corruption - and that we could concentrate on the policies and needs of the country without having to take into account the distracting sideshows.

THEN we could move on - and maybe even vote for the new, improved Sinn Fein, breaking that 10-12% ceiling.

But as you said yourself, they're stuck at that limit because most people - thankfully - don't agree with their self-inflicted stance.

• Advertisement

Now, if I was a robber and armed and a scumbag. I would shoot to death a copper who could possibly shoot to death me.
    And if a politician refused to condemn your actions in doing so, they wouldn't deserve a vote. Wouldn't you agree?

Advertisement