Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How was your clubs season?

• 28-05-2009 11:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭

As a Villa fan I am still in shock at our collapse since February, turning a possible Champs League place into a hugely dissappointing 6th place finish.

Looking at the top four, none of them really got what they wanted to class it as a great season.

Man U - 2 pretty poor cups and the Premier League, but the main aim was the Champs League and the were well beaten last night.

Liverpool - no trophies and 2nd place, improvement but still realistally a long way behind Utd in squad strength and the wait goes on for the Premier title.

Chelsea - possible the FA Cup, a pretty awful return on all the money spent.

Arsenal - yet another trophyless season, and after the promise of a 20 match unbeaten run, Man U and Chelsea showed just how big the gap has become.

Anyone have different opinions on the top 4 or their own clubs?
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I think Liverpool improved the most.

If Man Utd won last night people would be saying their the best team ever.

As for Villa, my opinion is similar to yours. Not good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

For Liverpool it was a strange season. Transfers were a disaster but we did get a title challenge, which is what we wanted. However, its hard to know if we did well because we have really improved or because the other title contenders had poor seasons (Arsenal, Chelsea). I think its probably a bit of both. Enjoyable season, but ultimately fruitless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

Leeds here

Play off Failure yet again

Used to it by now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Poor tbh when all things are taken into consideration.

Positives -

Stephen Ireland - transformed himself over last summer to become one of the most exciting young talents in the league. Sensational in the majority of his games and scored a huge amount of goals. Player of the Year easily.

Nedum Onouha - Formerly known as Nervous Ned, Onouha has overcome his injury problems to begin fulfilling the potential that had City fans saying he was better than Richards when Micah first burst onto the scene.

Robinho - Our first genuine superstar, and he has delivered for the most part in terms of boosting the club's reputation worldwide while also banging in the 4th highest amount of goals in the league this year.

At home - The Portsmouth, Hull and Arsenal games contained some of the best football a City side has ever played.

The Takeover - Becoming the richest club in the world couldn't be anything other than positive.

The Uefa Cup - I was so lucky to be in Copenhagen for our away game there and the whole thing was fantastic, especially considering that we needed and injury time OG in extra time to force penalties against Danish minnows early on. Shoulda won it though.

Honourable mentions - SWP came home, we got a hardman in Mad Zab, Vinny K looks good, Given signed, and the Boj returned.

Negatives -

Gone backwards - This applies to league position, points tally, and Micah Richards. Not good enough.

Away form - 2 wins out of 19 is relegation material.

Elano - His attitude stinks. On his day he's a frightening talent, but more often than not he just doesn't fancy it.

Jo - £19 million is a lot to play for a striker only to ship him out on loan.

Hughes - he's had a year and has, on paper, taken us backwards. Not who I want at the club but he's going to be given another chance so we'll go with it.....for now.

Overall -

A mixed bag but, all things considered, I'm leaning towards a 40/60 split in terms of good and bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

It was aight I suppose. Won 100% of the competitions we entered under a manager who was a club legend in his first season. A little 21 year old fella put his name into the history books by being the best player in the world this season... A couple of midgets have proven to be one of the best midfield partnerships of the past decade... Got a few movers and shakers here and there...

I'd give it a 6/10 like.... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Manchester United -

Won the league and equaled Liverpools record of 18.
    Won the Carling cup with a mixture of fringe, reserve, and youth players.
    Semi-Finals of the FA Cup.
    Final of the Champions League.

Achieved the above with the added distraction and trip to Japan, and winning while there.

Very good season in terms of results, not the best in terms of performance, could have been made the one of if not the greatest season in the clubs history except we got beaten by a truly great team on the top of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

We had a fantastic season.
    Won the Premier League/Champions League/FA Cup and Coca Cola Cup..:D
    The fans loved me/ the directors loved me/the papers loved. The people loved me for playing the most beautiful football ever.

Oh wait..dammit that was Fifa 09.
    We actually got relegated. Stupid Newcastle players.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Disastrous season for my Toon but well deserved and can have no complaints.
    I'd say: Liverpool can take heart from pushing United all season, United still setting the pace, Chelsea prob would have done better but for Scolari but still there or thereabouts, Arsenal disappointed at going another trophyless season, Villa disappointed at not holding on to 4th, City prob expected to do better.
    Think the teams happiest with their seasons work is Everton (another good, solid season under a good manager with an FA Cup final to look forward to) and Fulham (from barely avoiding relegation last season to a European place this term). West Ham got stronger as the season went on and Stoke will be happy at a good, mid-table finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

good thanks.

how was yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

We had a fantastic season.
    Won the Premier League/Champions League/FA Cup and Coca Cola Cup..:D
    The fans loved me/ the directors loved me/the papers loved. The people loved me for playing the most beautiful football ever.

Oh wait..dammit that was Fifa 09.
    We actually got relegated. Stupid Newcastle players.:mad:

ha ha ha .. im a toon supporter and sometimes i close my eyes and think the same way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

smog wrote: »
    ha ha ha .. im a toon supporter and sometimes i close my eyes and think the same way.

I reckon that was our problem :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Man United - Equalling Liverpool's record was great I must admit but our form this season has been patchy at the best of times. I don't think we played at the standard we did last season but we still mnaged to reatin the PL so not too bad.

As for the CL final. It was disappointing to concede and lose to two very soft goals. We just never got going but Barca were very good on the night. It could have gone our way another night. Just wasn't to be. Hopefully we get back to our best next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Pretty good, started the season still reeling from events both on and off the pitch.
    Clawed back a 7 point deficit twice and showed that we had the grit and determination on the last day of the season to do what was needed.
    This seasons title is probably one of the most important in the clubs history due to financial worries and the changes in the CL qualifiers.

Missed out on the CIS cup at a time when we were going through a poor run of form, but still have the Scottish Cup final to look forward to on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭selpher

Chelsea:

Strange, strange season. Started the season looking like world beaters. Football expert Eamon Dunphy said we'd win the lot. Hopes we're high, samba football was coming to the Bridge.
    - By mid season we looked old, washed up, unbalanced, unfit, not motivated and in danger of finishing outside the top 4. Everything Jose had installed in the team seemed gone.
    By the end of season our shining light Guus put a bit of pride and steel back into the team and one can only wonder what would of been had he been there from day one.

Negatives:
    - The gamble on Scolari backfired.
    - Lost Steve Clarke
    - Made a complete balls up of the Robinho transfer and left it too late to bring in a replacement.
    - Star signing Deco flopped.
    - Home record was ended with barely a whimper.
    - No Essien, Carvalho or Drogba for most of the season.

Positives:
    - Despite all the above we got an automatic Cl place for next season
    - Reached the Cl semi finals and we're barely minutes away from beating the worlds best team.
    - Still Have an F.a cup final to look forward too.
    - Bosingwa, Alex, Anelka and recently Malouda impressed me this year.
    - And most importantly Guus Hiddink. Class act all the way. Very sad to lose him.

Overall a solid B-

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Leeds fan

Same as ever, crushing disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Milan,

Actually one of the best season we have had in a long time not due to results or anything but down to promise shown.

Transfers were ok some suspect but some did the job, ronaldinho was enthusiastic in the beginning and performed well but trailed off at the end. Senderos didnt really play. Flamini did everything required of him. Borriello was outstanding when playing, shevchenko well enough said. Beckham defied expectations and offered a lot to the team even if his legs are gone

Onto the standout players

Pato was in sensational form early on however dipped off towards the end of the year but i think that is down to the style of play suiting Inzaghi and not him.

Borriello came in and did brilliantly until his injury.

Thiago Silva in defense performed well in all the friendlies and is doing some great things in training apparently.

Gourcuff was inspirational for bordeaux and hopefully galliani and leonardo have convinced him to come back.

Kaka seems to have adapted to having lost that pace he used to possess. He became a leader in the team this season and performed well.

Inzaghi. always enthusiastic and went on a great run of form. he played some of the best football i have ever seen him play. Then again that is down to the attack being suited around him with kaka making his runs,probing balls and offering inzaghi space while pirlo,beckham etc are able to whip the long balls in front of him which he loves

now onto the other things, seedorf,maldini,shevchenko,kalac,ronaldinho and emerson all were well below form and things seem finished for them.

Darmian, Antonini and cardacio got some game time which can only help for next season and the future.

Ancelotti is out the door and hopefully Leonardo with his assistants can bring through the youth and playing style that they can play.

Despite all the talk that they wanted to win the uefa cup when they started games with shevchenko leading the line its quite obvious that this was just noise hence why i wasnt too bothered when they were knocked out by bremen. I even told my mate to lump on the draw,bremen win when Milan were leading 1-0 in the first leg.

We challenged in the league at various points, being top for the first time since we won it last in 2004 and picking up the pints lost to Inter at the end. We showed that we are the best team in Italy with some breathtaking performances like the first derby win, the 5-1 win against Udinese, the wins agasint Torino,Palermo and Lazio.

I always saw this season as a building one and hopefully with a few small staff changes,some better luck with injuries. (If nesta comes back and Borriello gets healthy mainly) Also to replace Seedorf with Gourcuff . Hopefully the team will be something like this and thats without many new players brought in. If the rumours about Clichy are true that would be great and Agger can only help the team

Borriello/Pato

Kaka

Gourcuff

Gattuso
    Flamini

Pirlo

-Clichy---Nesta---Thiago Silva---Zambrotta--

Abbiati

Oh and I expect them to win the champions league next year, hopefully in a repeat of the 94 final,god that would be amazing alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I personally think that equalling Liverpools league titles was one of the best things I've seen happen with United.

That said, the whole season we've been playing ****e. Our attack hasn't really performed. We've won too many games last minute, and we've had too many defensive based performances. Beyond that we lost a lot to the better teams this year, Liverpool, Chelsea and Barca. That's not good.

All in all, it was a good season, not a great season. I'm hopeful that we can push on next year, but I don't know if we will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Bayern Munich

Eh, disappointing to say the least. A new coach brought into transform the team ended up messing up the flow, even with brand new facilities to practice in etc.

Form was patchy. When it was good, it wasn't really that good. Pre-season we looked pretty damn good, and then came the season where we just went from bad to worse, with some glimmers of hope. Loosing the domestic league by 2 points kind of sums it up. Could have been brilliant, but it was lost in a flurry of meh.

Hopefully in the post-season things pick up and we don't loose Ribery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

PHB wrote: »
    I personally think that equalling Liverpools league titles was one of the best things I've seen happen with United.

That said, the whole season we've been playing ****e. Our attack hasn't really performed. We've won too many games last minute, and we've had too many defensive based performances. Beyond that we lost a lot to the better teams this year, Liverpool, Chelsea and Barca. That's not good.

All in all, it was a good season, not a great season. I'm hopeful that we can push on next year, but I don't know if we will.

My head hurts but when did Chelsea beat us?

I said two months ago that I would take a loss in the Champions League if it meant retaining the premiership. I stand by that but am depressed at the min obviously.

I think the club rarely got out of first gear this season and I hope they play better next year. Given that I think trophy wise the club had a great season. The Carling cup is always a nice addition to a season and going the full distance in it gives the younger players more games. The world championship is a novelty but being able to call the club world champions was and is still fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No medals but definite progress, from 21 points off the pace to 4 behind in two seasons with only 1 signing adding something in the last 12 months speaks well for the talent/strength of the squads core. With the right signings this summer if (big if!) Liverpool simply continue to play like they have over the last 3 months (28 points from 30) then it'll be a title winning season in 2009/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Eirebear wrote: »
    Pretty good, started the season still reeling from events both on and off the pitch.
    Clawed back a 7 point deficit twice and showed that we had the grit and determination on the last day of the season to do what was needed.
    This seasons title is probably one of the most important in the clubs history due to financial worries and the changes in the CL qualifiers.

Missed out on the CIS cup at a time when we were going through a poor run of form, but still have the Scottish Cup final to look forward to on Saturday.

Saves me typing it all :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

It was a season of such promise in the beginning, and even though we never really caught fire we did enough to secure the record equalling 19th English league title which was what i wanted more then anything else this year

a good balance of age and youth in the team who had just been crowned English and European champions but for some reason the team never really clicked, in truth we have relied heavily on Ronaldo to win us games for the past couple of years and this has never been addressed properly so there was no real forward progress this year

Im sure SAF thought Berba would be a great creator and match winner but despite having decent stats he never really got going this year

The absence of a genuine threat down the left wing also held the team back but the emergence of Rafael and Johnny Evans and a few others is something to be happy about

I would hope that the team can push on next year but im not so sure we will. There isnt alot left for the team to achieve anyway so maybe fresher hungrier players are needed in certain positions to drive on the team when backs are against the wall

It seems strange that alot of heads are down today when we have had a season which saw the club crowned World Champions, English Champions for the 19th time and League Cup winners with the reserves, who also got to a semi final in the FA cup to lose on penalties and the team got to a second consecutive Champions League final which is an impressive achievement and not done too often

This was a very successful season for the club and since we never really got going imo i would like to think that with a couple of adjustments over the summer if this team can catch fire next year they will be a force in all competitions yet again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Shoite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

spurs
    bad points david bently/Ramos

good points redknapp/palacios

overall disapointing delighted to of broken through and gotten over 50 points given where we were after 8 games And our good end of season run gives me optimisum for next year, dissapointed that we didn't challenge top four

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

PHB wrote: »

was reading today that man utd picked up 58 out of a possible 60 points against the teams finishing 11-20 in the league this season, thats freaking amazing :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bullies! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

Outstanding season for Everton...will be even better if we outfox that nouveau riche behemoth that is the current incarnation of Chelsea in Saturday's FA Cup Final.

Advertisement