Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who to vote for?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Received:
    I understand that you will shorrtly receive a response from my colleague representing the Fien Gael view.

Mise le Meas,

Senator John Paul Phelan

Replied:
    Sparks wrote:
    Thank you Senator, I have indeed already received an email from the FG political director, but it doesn't actually answer my specific question regarding the conflict between the new proposed Irish firearms legislation and the current EU firearms directive - perhaps a more specific statement on that conflict might be made?
    Yours in Sport,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

Sparks wrote: »
    Howlin was fairly active on our behalf during the debates on the CJB2004...

He was indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Deerspotter

I must say, Sparks, your churning up some very very interesting material.

In answer to a previous question about whether one should vote based on protection of their sport or economy and welfare. From reading these forums, it seems there is a rare passion amongst firearm owners and hunters that runs very deep. This would lead me to think that it would make more sense to vote for your sport, regardless. After all what fun will it be to have your money in your pocket and no gun or places to shoot.

I'm not a fan of labour, but it seems as though they are giving this sport very good representation, and for this they may get my vote. I have texted all of my local candidates with some questions regarding 'country sports'. I have got some very nondescript responses back from most people, however - people before profit - and - Labour - both had reasonable and well thought out responses. Both on opposite ends of the spectrum.
    However I think it fair to commend both parties for having a thought-out response.
    The other parties, with the vague innuendo are a disgrace and an insult.

Received:
    This is the first time this issue has been brought to my attention so I am not in a position to give a definite answer. If elected I would certainly be prepared to dicsuss the question with representative organisations.
    sincerely,
    joe higgins

Received:
    This a very serious issue that effects more than 236,000 lawful individuals in this country. While measures must be taken to fight the rise of gun crime on our streets, the bill was too hasty in its preparation and showed a lack of foresight and consideration for lawful firearms owners. There is no evidence to show that legally held handguns, or stolen legally held handguns, have been used in the commission of any crime. The Labour Party fully supports the law being brought up to date in the matter of licensing of firearms, their security and their use. We do not support, however, measures purportedly introduced to tackle crime being used instead to put legitimate sports clubs out of business. Handgun target shooting sports in Ireland is not insignificant as a sport and is a dimension of indigenous rural business in some counties. If there was evidence that any of the handguns used in any of the 40-odd shooting ranges were finding their way into the hands of the criminals using firearms in our estates and on our streets, then Labour would support the banning of handguns. But we don't have that evidence. The Government must revisit this legislation to ensure lawful firearms owners are not unfairly discriminated against.

Regards,

Nessa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

Received:

Lads and ladies, the European Elections are very important, vote for Nessa of course in the east.

However we've seen planning permission for ranges turned down here there and everywhere so vote Labour in the local elections too (some will point out that they can have no bearing on planning matters directly, yeah, right). They (Labour) actually recognise that we are sportsmen and women and have clearly listened to all our emails, phone calls etc.

Understand too that this is not an easy opposition to make, those who spin negatively about shooting sports could well say "Labour is for a U.S. style gun culture". We clearly know this is not the case and they're (Labour) merely pointing all that is rotten with the proposed legislation that will do no good whatsoever. How the hell do we ever hope for Olympic or World Champions in shooting if our sport is banned?

We've been told this is the Party policy, not just some County Council candidate's "oh, I'll see you right if I'm elected".

Vote Labour, pass it on, text your friends, ask your club secretary to email club members. I'll be texting all my target shooting friends to vote Labour.

Again I say, possibly best of a bad lot but..........

Received:
    Thank you very much for your email. I will bring your query regarding the amendments to the Irish Firearms Acts to the attention of Mr Ryan and get back to you with his response and thoughts on this issue as soon as possible.

Yours sincerely,
    Laura Real
    Assistant to Eoin Ryan MEP

Summarising all of these here in case it's of interest.

Received as a follow-up:
    Thanks for that extra information
    I like sports too, I'm a swimmer. |(not to technical as your sport)|

the situation you describe sounds ludicrous..! And I imagine, that having a gun dealer import your materials back into the country would not be done for free!

makes enjoying oneself and competing for their country more tedious with bureaucracy than it would otherwise be!

Thanks for the information. I look forward to returning on this issue with you for a press article , if not as a parliamentarian!
    Noel

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

If you value your shooting sports,

Vote Labour

From an EX-Lifelong FF supporter.

Make a difference and let our voice be heard.:D

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Advertisement

Received:
    I am unfamiliar with these laws in relation to weapons and the interaction
    between state and EU law. I would need to study it more. Would this be a tax
    generated i.e. more tax liable to be collected from sales in Ireland? It
    would immediately strike me, that EU law is dominant. I have stated in my
    Election literature that we have moved from a defensive conservative society
    to an aggressive secular domain. This is happening to have sad repercussions
    because there are more and more people around with less religious scruples.
    They have no fear and leads to a sad increase in gun related crime. The
    authorities have to try and stop this sudden breakout of wrongdoing. This
    manifests itself in the Big Brother Syndrome. Sadly the whole legal and
    justice edifice is overseen by people who can´t remember, did not hear, and
    were not there, when asked to account for their own actions. Yes in this
    system it is the normal law abiding citizen who feels aggrieved. This need
    not be the case if leaders have ideals and are prepared to step down from
    office when they get things wrong. It really amazes me that our leaders put
    themselves back up for re-election when they have turned us into a country
    riddled with Debt.

Received:
    Thanks for your question. To be honest, I haven´t received any correspondence on this particular issue so wasn´t aware of it but I will bring it to the attention of the Labour Party´s justice spokesperson in the Dail, Pat Rabbitte TD who´s dealing with it in the Dail. Our initial position on the Minister´s proposals is set out in Pat´s statement of 20 May, available at
    www.labour.ie
    Best wishes,
    Proinsias De Rossa MEP

Received:
    a chara,
    Thank you for your query. Sinn Fein gave a general welcome to the firearms section of the Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill 2009 but have not yet taken positions on each individual provision.

During debates on legislation on this issue in 2006, my colleague Aengus Ã? Snodaigh TD called for an effective and modern licensing regime to allow for gun clubs and sport to continue while ensuring prudent gun control in the interests of public safety.

The ultimate objective of Sinn Fein´s approach to this legislation will be to achieve the right balance in terms of gun control and public safety while allowing the legitimate use of firearms, in particular sporting competitions and farm use to continue.

Is mise le meas,
    Mary Lou McDonald MEP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Received:

i would not trust this one .

"if you cant dazzle with brilliance baffle with bull****" comes to mind every time i hear her talk

jwshooter wrote: »
    i would not trust this one .
    Er, which one jw?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Hope everyone has voted! what time are stations open till?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

till 10 tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Just heading down myself now.

Received:
    I am sorry but this is the first time that this issue has been brought to my attention and I am not familiar with the current state of play. I would be extremely reluctant to give you a reply before I have had a chance to carry out further research on it. I always feel it is unwise to comment on something that one is not well informed on. When I have done some research on the issue I will get back to you. Thank you for your question.
    All the best,
    Patricia

Quick exit straw poll for shooters here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭hk

The NASRPC has posted a letter to FF TD's on their website. Seems like a good idea as I wouldnt imagine FF back bench TDs are too happy at the moment and a targeted campaign towards their party may now produce some results if the letter keep flooding in. There is a link on the homepage to the letter. I had a quick scan through and its seems well drafted at first glance. Its a PDF, I for one will be printing it and sending it on to my local FF TDs and would encourage everyone who holds a FAC regardless of type or caliber to do so also. A coherent and targeted plan is what is required now IMHO, a lot of people here have been sending emails, esp to the opposition, myself included, but I do believe there is merit in targeting the FF party esp after the election results. Dont leave it to someone else, play your part in safe guarding your sport.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Quick exit straw poll for shooters here...

Looks like the Labour campaign on the shooting forum went well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Anyone catch the little bit on drivetime about the explosives bill, Labour asked what the story was and Cowen replied that it's on the slow burner.
    I am so glad that he seems to find it just something to joke over.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

good bye mary lue :D

Advertisement