Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&Q one coat paint

Options
  • 28-05-2009 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

Having worked in Atlantic Homecare in customer services for a few years I am aware that sometimes if you paint a wall with a lighter colour you may need a touch up even with one coat paint. I always buy one coat paint as I have kids running around the house and so many things to do I cannot spend a full day painting just one room.

Anyway for my first time ever I bought the b&q one coat on Tuesday. I painted my kitchen yesterday, I loved the colour but knew straight away I would need another full coat. So I went on to give it a second coat, the main part drying while I was getting the awkward areas above the counters. I turned and noticed greenish patches, the old colour was a light green, new warm cream. After being decorating the room for the most part of 4 hours I was extremely irritated. I checked the container to see if there was any note of the possibility of more than one coat, as far as I recall there is on crown which I usually use.

There was no note referring to this so I called b&q. I held on the phone for 15mns, got an agent who I explained the situation to. Immediately the person began explaining she had used this paint herself and found it brilliant so I explained as above I was experienced in the paint area and I knew this was not the norm. I was asked to bring the paint in for examination of it's consistency. I asked would they need to check my walls as I need this done asap it should be finished now and she said possibly.

Today I have a ptach with no paint, I have an area with one coat, the majority with 2 coats and a tiny part with 3 just to see the difference. The 3 area is perfect, 2 is ok and 1 is terrible. I just dont think ok is good enough with 2 coats of one coat paint. I bought a large tine so I could also do a small room and there is no way of this considering there is only a tiny bit left.

Question is, would you bother going through the hassle and what would you expect to get from it, a replacement tub of low quality paint to go through all the hassle again, a replacement of higher quality paint and have to paint the full room again or a refund? I'm not sure what I should expect, I just dont fancy taking another day out of work and housework to do the room again, never mind the small room I need to do too!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Would it not depend on what colour the wall was beforehand and whether or not an undercoat had been applied?

If the new colour is lighter than the previous colour, then you'd need to undercoat it first with a white/light undercoat paint. - This is quick & easy to do as it doesn't need the same care in painting as the main coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Question is, would you bother going through the hassle and what would you expect to get from it, a replacement tub of low quality paint to go through all the hassle again, a replacement of higher quality paint and have to paint the full room again or a refund? I'm not sure what I should expect, I just dont fancy taking another day out of work and housework to do the room again, never mind the small room I need to do too!

I'd say you could get your money back for the one you bought, then buy a quality paint. I'd bring the tub back to where you bought it, tell them it hasn't worked, tell them they can come and see your wall if they like, but you want your money back. I don't think you can expect a whole lot more than that on your own.
    darc wrote: »
    Would it not depend on what colour the wall was beforehand and whether or not an undercoat had been applied?

If it's called One Coat paint, you shouldn't need three coats, regardless of the paint that underneath it. More so when the one you're buying is a light colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

jor el wrote: »
    If it's called One Coat paint, you shouldn't need three coats, regardless of the paint that underneath it. More so when the one you're buying is a light colour.

They could call it Forty Coats, and it wouldn't matter. The name of the product doesn't mean anything. If there is a written guarantee that no more than one could will be necessary, then you have a case.

Much the same as "no more tears" shampoo, I'm afraid. It can still make your eyes hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Well the whole point is it is one coat not normal paint, specifically one coat. One coat paint should not require basecoat. It says on the tin ONE coat and that is all it should be.

I think I will ask for a refund and take my money elsewhere. With my experience in paint I would settle with a second touch up, or a second full coat at a push but 3 coats is a little bit silly.

Advertisement