Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airspeed Telecom

Options
  • 28-05-2009 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this belongs in broadband or midband...

Just wondering does anybody know much about Airspeed Telecom...I see they only seem to deal with business, but the speeds being talked about are up to 155MB so just wondering how its done and how accessible it is...and how much it costs. There are a few work from home businesses in my area, and I could also work from home a day a week if I had better broadband. At the mo, its satellite or nothing, no DSL, or mobile coverage in our area.

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

These are leased lines, not for the home user.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

hjr wrote: »

Just wondering does anybody know much about Airspeed Telecom...I see they only seem to deal with business, but the speeds being talked about are up to 155MB so just wondering how its done and how accessible it is...and how much it costs.

Airspeed does a leased line type of service and it's fixed wireless, but it's point-to-point, maybe some point-to-mutipoint.

155 mbit/s would be a dedicated link. The kit for that costs between 12k and 15k EUR, then you need to apply for a license from comreg for the specific kit and end-locations and it still requires line of sight. Now .. that only brings you to one point, obviously you need to be somewhere near to their network.

Wireless equipment for up to GigE exists, we're just talking 30k EUR and up.

We use the same type of equipment for backhaul inside our network, but it's not affordable to use towards customers, obviously.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Marlow wrote: »
    Airspeed does a leased line type of service and it's fixed wireless, but it's point-to-point, maybe some point-to-mutipoint.

155 mbit/s would be a dedicated link. The kit for that costs between 12k and 15k EUR, then you need to apply for a license from comreg for the specific kit and end-locations and it still requires line of sight. Now .. that only brings you to one point, obviously you need to be somewhere near to their network.

Wireless equipment for up to GigE exists, we're just talking 30k EUR and up.

We use the same type of equipment for backhaul inside our network, but it's not affordable to use towards customers, obviously.

/M

And then how much for the bandwidth? Per year/month? Just out of interest of course.

And then how much for the bandwidth? Per year/month? Just out of interest of course.

Eh ? I don't think you fully got the concept. Those wireless links are from one place to another and are usually bought by carriers, telco's, providers for backbone infrastructure.

If you get somebody to hook you up on one of those for internet purposes, it'll be the same pricing (or a good bit more) than uncontended carrier grade fiber. And in Galway for example, that'll cost you between 80-500 eur/mbit/month depending on the size of pipe you take. A 2 meg leased line somewhere in the sticks is typically 1500 EUR+/month. Multiply from there.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Easily 20-30 Grand a year. Like I said, not for home users, unless you're filthy rich.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

it'd be midband compared to a few places around the world :D
    Just wondering does anybody know much about Airspeed Telecom...I see they only seem to deal with business, but the speeds being talked about are up to 155MB so just wondering how its done and how accessible it is...and how much it costs. There are a few work from home businesses in my area, and I could also work from home a day a week if I had better broadband. At the mo, its satellite or nothing, no DSL, or mobile coverage in our area.
    Thanks in advance...

Have a look here for addresses :

http://www.comreg.ie/radio_spectrum/fwala_licensee_contact_details.541.547.html

http://westnet.ie/ is by [URL="http://boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=235698]Westnet (Paul)[/URL] ( he is on these forums)

and send what you said above in an email to a few of them.

Unfortunatly the FWALA allocations won't allow for 155 mbit/s at any given time.

But they will allow for broadband speeds, sure thing. So you can always poke them after having checked their coverage out at http://www.comreg.ie/radio_spectrum/fwala_search.541.960.fwalasearch.html

If you select Airspeed there, you can see, their coverage for broadband type services is limited and uses the 10.5 and 26 GHz frequencies.

Beyond that, you'd pay for a point to point link somewhere into their network. Again 20-30k+/year type service.

They do mainly stuff for Heanet, Uderas and that type of customers.

/M

Unfortunatly the FWALA allocations won't allow for 155 mbit/s at any given time.

Yes I know .

They might do other products suitable

They might do a "one-off " because

A) there could be a few interested in a small area

B) The OP probably really doesn't need 155

Anyway,

It is a useful list of places to start.

It'd be fair to assume since the list is on the website of the regulator of such carry on , it'd reduce the cowboy factor a bit.

bushy... wrote: »
    It'd be fair to assume since the list is on the website of the regulator of such carry on , it'd reduce the cowboy factor a bit.

No, I'm afraid you are wrong on that one. The list is partially outdated. To give you an example EAP is Magnet now and that for more than 2 years, it has been updated on some parts of the website, however their domain has be given to a different organisation, so it's completely misleading. Other businesses webpresences don't exist at all.

The only upside of going with somebody, that has fwala spectrum and also only, if you are connected using that, is that ComReg will have some say in case of contention. 48:1 or 24:1 is still the requirement at a minimum there and to put it mildly, that's not really a lot more than dial-up on a 1 or 2 meg connection, when they contend you fully.

So using that list is actually worse than using http://www.broadband.gov.ie

/M

The list is partially outdated. To give you an example EAP <----snip--->

Contact them and ask them to update it :

http://www.comreg.ie/contact_us/comreg_contact_details.141.contact.html

It would be in your own interest after all , since you are kind of in the same game. A few more lists wouldn't go astray either really. Be a good use of time that.

No, I'm afraid you are wrong on that one. The list is ---

Missed my point completely. People go looking for access, look on Comreg site , find the list and contact people on it. See my first point above.

• Advertisement

Missed my point completely. People go looking for access, look on Comreg site , find the list and contact people on it. See my first point above.

No, but you missed mine. What I'm saying is that the FWALA list doesn't cover anything else but FWALA. There's tons of other type of media for broadband than that and a lot of providers out there, that can't get a FWALA license, because the licenses that are useful in rural areas are exhausted with 30km radius allocated, but only used in urban areas. Also, even if a license is available, there has to be quite a substancial customer base before it's affordable for an area.

But that is completely apart from what the op was looking for.

My point however was, that that list is as limited a view as it can get. Because there's at least 2-3 times more providers out there than those and to have a FWALA license or not doesn't define cowboy'ism. Matter of fact, there's at least one on that list, that no one in their right mind would go with, if they've been long enuff around boards.ie. Matter of fact a better list would be https://www.inex.ie/about/memberlist and even there you can go wrong.

/M

... /me backs away from narcissistic post above

Thanks in advance...

Since there is a few more work from home businesses in your area , it only makes it easier to get sorted for broadband.

Few ideas :

You could round up the few interested and contact a few companies doing wireless internet - they should be more enthusiastic since there is a few together in one area.
    OR
    If you get a few together , you could decide to go the semi-diy route

Outline of plan : Find bandwidth , get it to you

Two choices basically : Unlicenced , Licenced

These ( $1100 ) are 100meg

http://www.witelcom.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=36&Itemid=32&vmcchk=1&Itemid=32

Put them from source of internet
    > you

Problem : Unlicenced , so other gear nearby might interfere with it - no guarantees . It may be fine though

To avoid this , if you want to go licenced , contact Comreg ( have GPS co-ords of both places ready) and ask them, they're very helpful and enthusiastic about this sort of thing .

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

http://westnet.ie/ is by oscarBravo (he is on these forums)
    FYI, this is my official work account for any WestNet queries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

FYI, this is my official work account for any WestNet queries.

Welcome to boards :D

Advertisement