Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish football this weekend+ May 28,29,30

• 28-05-2009 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

Roll up, roll up! It's RFRF time!

Barca it ain't, but then, who is? :p Now that 'the season' is over, it's time to catch some live football.

Premier Division:

28 May 2009 Galway United 7:45 Derry City Terryland Park
    29 May 2009 Cork City 7:45 Bohemians :cool: Turner's Cross
    29 May 2009 Dundalk 7:45 Sligo Rovers Oriel Park
    29 May 2009 St Patrick's Athletic 7:45 Bray Wanderers Richmond Park
    30 May 2009 Shamrock Rovers 7:00 Drogheda United Tallaght Stadium

Although all member-owned clubs should follow beautiful Barca's lead, I'll be happy with a point from Cork. At the same time, we will be punished if we sit back, esp. with Jason out.

Drogheda to shock Shamrock prediction hope, ditto for Galway v. Derry.

First Division:

Thursday, 28 May 2009

19:45 UCD - Sporting Fingal

Friday, 29 May 2009

20:00 Shelbourne - Monaghan United

Saturday, 30 May 2009

19:00 Mervue United - Limerick FC
    19:00 Waterford United - Wexford Youths
    19:30 Longford Town - Finn Harps
    19:30 Kildare County - Athlone Town

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I think Drogheda will get a point at Rovers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

We have Dundalk in Tallaght on Tuesday too.

Need to start showing some home consistency, and it's also essential that Rovers keep within touching distance of the top two clubs while we see how the their 'situations' pan out by season's end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Off to Belfield this evening. Both teams had poor results last week so should be well up for it. If the weather holds up we could have a good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Off to London tonight to watch the Ireland and Nigeria.

Particulary looking forward to watching Leon Best play :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Off to Belfield this evening. Both teams had poor results last week so should be well up for it. If the weather holds up we could have a good game.
    Poor? You must be having a laugh. A draw was most definitely a better result for us than Limerick.

Can't make tonight's game unfortunately because of the unnecessary switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

UCD V Sporting Fingal will be a tough game tonight. I'd fancy the home team to take the points, but you just never know.

Looks like it should be a nice evening for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Off to London tonight to watch the Ireland and Nigeria.

Particulary looking forward to watching Leon Best play :pac:
    Given the display of ignorance and stupidity in scheduling an international friendly on a domestic league fixture night, I sincerely hope you see Nigeria tank them.

For once, UCD carry my hopes and dreams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Any of these matches being televised?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Apparently less than 80 people at tonight's big 1st Division clash. :rolleyes:

Anyone confirm this?

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Apparently less than 80 people at tonight's big 1st Division clash. :rolleyes:

Anyone confirm this?
    230 I was told so I'd say the crowd was a little under 200 in that case.

230 I was told so I'd say the crowd was a little under 200 in that case.

Yeah, I'd say there was around 200 there. I didn't count them though.

A good win for Fingal. Not nice to see McFaul having to be carried off injured. Looked like an issue with his knee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

200!?:eek: That's shocking, but not really a serious. It's gas the way the Fingal fans have been mouthing off on foot.ie about there 700/800 home attendences and they probably had no more than 50 fans at an away match no more than 40 mins away. Surprised they didn't but on a supporters' bus to Belfield like they did to Richmond.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Should be biggest LOI attendance of the season so far at the Cross tomorrow:rolleyes:

Hopefully it can live up to the billing.

I can't say I've been impressed with Doolin's football but he does have the team in top condition. Denis Behan seems to have been put under a real regime 'cause he looks as fit as Ive ever seen him.

Last season's 0-1 was a great match with Brian Murphy at his best to deny Mooney. If it can match that tempo with a screamer from Gamble I'll be happy.

And Thurles on Sunday, here comes the summer sun.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

And Thurles on Sunday, here comes the summer sun.:)

League Cup tie? :confused:

200!?:eek: That's shocking, but not really a serious. It's gas the way the Fingal fans have been mouthing off on foot.ie about there 700/800 home attendences and they probably had no more than 50 fans at an away match no more than 40 mins away. Surprised they didn't but on a supporters' bus to Belfield like they did to Richmond.:rolleyes:

There were more Fingal fans than UCD fans at the game last night. Looked more like UCD didn't bring any home support. I'd say there were around 100 Fingal fans there.

Yes, the Fingal home attendences have been good this season and long may it continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

EVERY club in the LOI have woeful crowds. No point in picking on Fingal. As much as I hate them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Not the best of weeks for Dundalk with a loss to Pats, the sacking of Rodgers and Georgie leaving the club. Never a dull moment up in Oriel Park. Still fancy them to take Sligo Rovers this evening.

Why was the Galway/Derry match on on a thursday??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Any chance at all of Monaghan making it worthwhile to go to Tolka tonight? :confused:

Rovers should be looking at no less than 4 points at least

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Zebra3 wrote: »
    League Cup tie? :confused:

Nah, Yuffs beat us in that.

Hopefully it will be a bumper crowd tonight. No reason why there should not be really. I would actually be happy with a draw. Over the moon with a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

gimmick wrote: »
    I would actually be happy with a draw. Over the moon with a win.

Same same, its a must not lose game for us but if Deegan and Ndo are back we'll be 10 times the team we've been for the last month.

200!?:eek: That's shocking, but not really a serious.
    We changed the game to Thursday because the club thought the crowd would suffer as a Friday game would have clashed with the Ireland match. Personally I don't think the crowd would have dropped by much. The drop I would almost definitely say would not have been greater than the drop we had from playing it on a Thursday. Also given the fact that the switch wasn't really announced properly not many people would have known of the switch. The club only sent around the text about the match yesterday afternoon. The number of cock ups from this club continues.

BTW, our crowd was around 400 for the Waterford game. If the number of Fingal fans there was indeed 100 we would have broken that.
    monkey9 wrote: »
    Why was the Galway/Derry match on on a thursday??
    Dunno, can't remember. Wasn't because the Ireland match anyway. Saw the reason on foot.ie a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Poor? You must be having a laugh. A draw was most definitely a better result for us than Limerick.

Sorry, I didn't see it myself. I'd bow to superior knowledge on it.
    Paulw wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd say there was around 200 there. I didn't count them though.

A good win for Fingal. Not nice to see McFaul having to be carried off injured. Looked like an issue with his knee.

Crowd was poor alright - not that I was surprised. I didn't expect any different.

I felt we deserved a lot more from the game tbh. They started very brightly and were keeping it well, but we battled our way into the game and looked more likely to score before halftime. The handball incident was a clear red card imo. He were through in a one and one and he knew exactly what the **** he was doing grabbing it back. Disgraceful. If it's deliberate handball which denies a goalscoring opportunity it's a red, yes? :confused:

In the second half we stomped all over them, hitting the bar, having an effort cleared off the line and forcing a couple of decent stops from their keeper. Their goal was poxy, awful for McMahon (who was terrible in the second half, dire infact) to give possession away in that area so cheaply and I felt Brennan got his angles wrong - the ball ended up in the middle of the net and he had dived and gotten nowhere near it.

Was happy with the way we didn't give up and forced a lot of pressure before the end. I thought Finn was brilliant in the middle, really awesome game. And the performance was good all told. Have to expect that we'll make mental errors at key times every so often, annoying for it to happen against them last night though. It might set their season alight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

The handball incident was a clear red card imo. He were through in a one and one and he knew exactly what the **** he was doing grabbing it back. Disgraceful. If it's deliberate handball which denies a goalscoring opportunity it's a red, yes? :confused:

Surely you know by know that handball is allowed in the LOI? I reckon about 1 in 10 handballs go punished.

dfx- wrote: »
    Any chance at all of Monaghan making it worthwhile to go to Tolka tonight? :confused:

Going by nearly every game this season it will be a shockingly messy match, and we'll snatch a goal or two outta the blue. Been the trend to our season so far, it doesn't bother me aslong as we're outta this hell-hole of a league soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Are there any matches on the televisual box tonight?

Don't think so.

Perfect evening for a game this evening. Hopefully Bohs bring a good number with them for a better atmosphere. Hoping for a cracker, but can only see a 1-0 either way.

CiaranC wrote: »
    Are there any matches on the televisual box tonight?

Nope, Setanta are showing the highlight game of Ireland and Nigeria.:rolleyes: Must say we have a bunch of retards running the FAI.

Lovely day for a match at home, pity the Bohs fans on buses or trains down to Cork, be like a sweat box.:D

• Advertisement

Lovely day for a match at home, pity the Bohs fans on buses or trains down to Cork, be like a sweat box.:D
    You really do have to work on your material.

SectionF wrote: »
    You really do have to work on your material.

Huh!?:confused: I was being serious, imagine being on a bus or train for a few hours in this heat.

Went to Pats v Bray in the end. Really enjoyable game, well deserved draw for Bray who probably should've nicked it at the end. Two keeping mistakes, the equaliser being the bigger one. You couldn't argue with any of the red cards, but some of the decisions against Pats in the second half were funny.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

5300+ at Turners Cross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

deserved win for Bohs last night, we were rubbish. nice goal too.

Bohs did a good job, and we were ****e. Exact same game as the last time they visited the Cross. And almost the same game in reverse as when CCFC visited Bohs a few months ago.

Grat to see such a good crowd. Good atmospher as well. However, it was shame that t kicked off outside the ground after. FFS, the gardai needed dogs and the armed unit where there and all. Fúcking twats from both clubs cannot help themselves. I know our lot are a shower of cúnts anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

No one in Cork has Setanta Sports 1 obviously. Fantastic crowd though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    No one in Cork has Setanta Sports 1 obviously. Fantastic crowd though!

??

I second the ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Nobody in Cork stayed at home to watch the Ireland Nigeria game..

Delighted with the win, sounds like we played well and Deegan as expected had a great game, we're screwed if we lose him in July.

Calm down lads, nobody was implying that the Real Capital doesn't have cable or satellite TV. :D

Life is good: sun blazing, and just about to head down the Maldron Hotel for a few tinctures before the game. All that's needed now is three points. :)

• Advertisement

Aaaaaah, get ye know :)

gimmick wrote: »
    Aaaaaah, get ye know :)

Culchies!:rolleyes:

:pac:

Went to Pats v Bray in the end. Really enjoyable game, well deserved draw for Bray who probably should've nicked it at the end. Two keeping mistakes, the equaliser being the bigger one. You couldn't argue with any of the red cards, but some of the decisions against Pats in the second half were funny.:pac:

Are you having a laugh there?? Pat's should have and would have won the game except we have a sh!t goalkeeper who is costing us too many points.
    Delighted to see Chris Deans get sent off. He was giving it loads in front of the Pat's fans out in Bray when they scored an injury time winner earlier on in the season.
    Even last night their number 11 was giving the fans on the Camac the middle finger when they equalised. He should have been given a red, but suffice it to say that the officiating last night was an absolute shambles!!!

Thank you very much to 'Brian' on extratime.ie for this gem from the top-of-the-table pre-match build-up... Boards regulars clearly have more sense :D
    stuck in work late, missed the train to cork to see city teach bohs a lesson in football...
    byrne,jasonVCork480.jpg
    tifo5.giftifo5.giftifo5.giftifo5.giftifo5.giftifo5.gif

Shocking mistake by Price. Maybe we might beat Drogheda at the third attempt..

Monkey9, the abuse the Pats keeper got at the end was ott, I thought. It was his mistake, but Pats had a man extra for the last 10 minutes and yet Bray had the better chance to win at the end. Even some were blaming him for the player getting through :eek:

Both sides had one aberration from a set-piece each, well fought otherwise with neither side doing enough upfront to win it. Fair result.

Not happy at all about a section of the crowd booing off Rovers at the end of the match tonight. Including some that should know better, especially with another game in three days time. Woeful mistake for the equalizer, missed peno and fairly lacklustre, if industrious, fare but come on, we're Rovers, not Jack's Army FFS. We're still fourth with a honestly (and legally) assembled team and a future, despite the ropey home form. People need to recalibrate the expectations and stop reading the hype.

Booing, jaysis. It's not like you's are doing bad, and imo you's are over-achieving. Bit rough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

monkey9 wrote: »
    Are you having a laugh there?? Pat's should have and would have won the game except we have a sh!t goalkeeper who is costing us too many points.
    Delighted to see Chris Deans get sent off. He was giving it loads in front of the Pat's fans out in Bray when they scored an injury time winner earlier on in the season.
    Even last night their number 11 was giving the fans on the Camac the middle finger when they equalised. He should have been given a red, but suffice it to say that the officiating last night was an absolute shambles!!!

Was he a little lad? Probably McCabe, he was with us on loan last year and the less said about his attitude the better.

Justifiable frustration, but not justifiable booing. The side should be fulfilling the expectation based on their away performances, but at home, something is badly wrong.

A good performance at Derry, great win at Sligo, dominant in Galway, win in Dundalk with 10 men for 70 minutes. Yet at home...defeat to Bray and Derry against ten men 1-0 up and now a kamikaze draw to Drogheda. There's not a lot wrong with the team..especially compared to the last two seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Justifiable frustration, but not justifiable booing. The side should be fulfilling the expectation based on their away performances, but at home, something is badly wrong.

A good performance at Derry, great win at Sligo

I think you won at Sligo, not due to your play, but due to our complete and utter shocking ability to play the game of football. We were shocking.

The only player on that pitch who stood out was Robinson. Superb.

• Advertisement
Advertisement