Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing painted wallpaper from a Lath and Plaster wall

Options
  • 28-05-2009 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

My house is circa 1800's so the internal walls are lath and plaster and the external walls are rendered with whatever plaster was used back then. I ran a search on boards to see if anyone had removed wallpaper from an old house before but they only mention plasterboarded walls, mine are wallpapered over lath and plaster.
    To pile pain upon pain I painted over the wallpaper a couple of times as the original wallpaper was hideous. Now i would like to completely remove the wallpaper and paint the walls underneath. i do realise I will probably end up patching the walls or worst case getting them skimmed.

I don't know what type of wallpaper it is, i do know it soaked paint so it isn't a sealed one and the decoration style was 1960s/70s

The paint was eg Atlantic homecare magnolia so it wasn't a washable paint either

my questions are;

1. Has anyone ever removed wallpaper from a lath and plaster wall?

2. I've seen threads on here mention that steamers damage the plaster board underneath, has anyone used one on a lath and plaster and did it cause excessive or unavoidable damage -- I'm sure I'll end up patching so a little damage won't bother me.

3. Can one of those scoring tools be used on my walls ie will it open a path for the steam deep into the plaster and loosen the plaster off the wall.

4. Can a chemical stripper be used over a lath and plaster wall.

Any and all replies would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Shane

**I've posted this question(s) here and in the Interior Design forum as I'm not sure which is appropriate - its a interior design Q but I'm a DIY'er so you may see this thread again if you frequent the Int. Design forum as well**

Advertisement