Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voting at 17?

Options
  • 28-05-2009 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭

We got the polling cards in the post today for the whole family, but to my surprise my youngest brother got a polling card too, but he won't be 18 until the very end of the year. As far as I was aware the voting age is 18 and all I can find on the internet backs that up.

I guess this is just a mistake in the government's records then? I presume he will be able to vote considering he has a polling card or would that be technically breaking the law?

Has this happened to anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eimear1

We got the polling cards in the post today for the whole family, but to my surprise my youngest brother got a polling card too, but he won't be 18 until the very end of the year. As far as I was aware the voting age is 18 and all I can find on the internet backs that up.

I guess this is just a mistake in the government's records then? I presume he will be able to vote considering he has a polling card or would that be technically breaking the law?

Most likely there is a mistake on his birthdate on the records they use to add people to the register. Yes you cannot vote until you are 18, but he cannot even though he got a polling card.The officers at polling stations can ask anyone for ID when they go to vote, thats why you are always advised to bring passport or drivers licence aswell when you go. The voting card is really just a notification of the date time and venue, and also helps them to find your name on the register, you have to prove that its your card. They may not ask every single person but they will spot-check at the very least. Even if they allowed him to vote he would be breaking the law, actually not just technically!Ps you might also want to check out where they got the wrong birthdate from for the card, i was under the impression they go from PPSN numbers (although i'm not sure, correct me if i'm wrong) so this mistake could have implications for other things that depend on that too - social welfare / child benefit entitlements that have a cut-off age?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Eh.., it depends, who's he thinking of voting for?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

InFront wrote: »
    Eh.., it depends, who's he thinking of voting for?:pac:

Ha. I don't know, he admits to being "politically ignorant" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

eimear1 wrote: »
    Most likely there is a mistake on his birthdate on the records they use to add people to the register. Yes you cannot vote until you are 18, but he cannot even though he got a polling card.The officers at polling stations can ask anyone for ID when they go to vote, thats why you are always advised to bring passport or drivers licence aswell when you go. The voting card is really just a notification of the date time and venue, and also helps them to find your name on the register, you have to prove that its your card. They may not ask every single person but they will spot-check at the very least. Even if they allowed him to vote he would be breaking the law, actually not just technically!Ps you might also want to check out where they got the wrong birthdate from for the card, i was under the impression they go from PPSN numbers (although i'm not sure, correct me if i'm wrong) so this mistake could have implications for other things that depend on that too - social welfare / child benefit entitlements that have a cut-off age?

Thanks for the reply. Good point about the birth date being linked to the PPSN number but as far am I'm aware it's completely separate. We've still got no idea where they got his (incorrect) information from because he doesn't remember ever registering to vote (Do you still have to do that?).

Advertisement