Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning permission - building work time limits

Options
  • 28-05-2009 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

I'm not sure this is the right forum for this so please move if necessary.

My next door neighbours are doing a massive extension which will be going on until Christmas apparently. The work their builders are doing is very loud but I suppose that was to be expected. One evening when my mother rang the owner of the house (they've moved out for the duration of the build) to see what time the builders would be finishing for the day he told her that their planning permission allowed them to work from 7am-7pm every week day. I have checked their permission online and I can't find anything regarding time limits to their building work.

Can anyone tell me if there tend to be time limits specifically drawn up for each build or are there just general guidelines? Guess I'm just hoping that they'll have to stop waking me up at 7 every morning!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭giardiniera

you could try checking with the epa for noise pollution laws. i know it used to be you couldn't make noise before 9 in the morning or after 9 at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭TheNibbler

you could try checking with the epa for noise pollution laws. i know it used to be you couldn't make noise before 9 in the morning or after 9 at night.

Couldn't find anything on their website about specific limitations, was more about how to make a complaint. Might have another look though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Check in the conditions on the planning permission. Usually there is something about this. 7-7 seems long. 8 in the morning is what I have seen.

Everyone really has to be sensible about this really to manage the noise. To be honest, the sooner you can get them finished, the better, and putting restrictions on will just make the pain last longer.

I can understand it if they want to get as much as possible done over the summer while the days are long.

But if you can get them to get the noisiest jobs done within the next while, and then try to confine the noisiest things until after 8 am, it shouldn't be too bad. It's probably a matter of dealing with the foreman and seeing what can be worked out.

At the very least they should be able to give you some idea how long the really noisy work will last.

Advertisement