Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Copy game saves from mine to my sons XBox

• 28-05-2009 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭

HiYa,

My young fella is after an Xbox of his own for this birthday, the games he plays on my Xbox have their progress saved under my profile. Is it possible to copy the saves/progress using the memory key to his XBox and his own profile? Or do I need to create a new profile using my ID on his XBox and then do it?

Thanks for the opinions and help,

Cheerio

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

I'm not 100% on this, but I don't think your kid will be able to continue his saved games on a different profile. The thinking behind profiles is that everyone can have their own one, be it and online or offline one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

hshortt wrote: »
    HiYa,

My young fella is after an Xbox of his own for this birthday, the games he plays on my Xbox have their progress saved under my profile. Is it possible to copy the saves/progress using the memory key to his XBox and his own profile? Or do I need to create a new profile using my ID on his XBox and then do it?

Thanks for the opinions and help,

Cheerio

If you create him his own profile on the new Xbox I'm pretty sure you can just copy the game saves etc across using a memory card.

Just be careful if he already has a profile on yours and you're connected to Xbox Live, I think it can cause you problems if the same profile is on XBL twice at the same time. If you know what I mean..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Signing in with his profile on a different console would not transfer game saves, no. Like Smooch71 said, you should use a memory card - it's the easiest way to do it. I got a second Xbox recently and transfer things back and forth all the time - Peats were selling the old 64MB cards for a fiver and those are just fine for transferring saved games...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Can you transfer games saves between different peoples' profiles? I thought the saves were profile locked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

It's a tricky process, but it should work.

- Copy the saved games to the memory unit
    - Plug the memory unit into the new 360
    - Sign in as the new profile on the new 360
    - Then copy or move the saves to the hard drive using the new profile. The saves should now be set to the new profile, although I think the ability to earn achievements with them is disabled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

mise wrote: »
    Can you transfer games saves between different peoples' profiles? I thought the saves were profile locked?

I think it depends on the game as well. Some titles even have annoying restrictions where you can't even transfer the game save using a memory card at all (even if you were to use it with the same profile) - Fable II for example...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

This is totally restricted on the 360 as far as i know.

I tried to copy a master league in pro evo to another profile and it wouldn't load it. I'd say it's the same with the majority of games, he's just gonna have to start fresh...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Very simple solution to this problem.
    You copy your profile to a memory card along with the game saves.
    Then put both on to his console. Once the profile that was used is the one he signs in to then the save games will work fine. If hes going to be going on live etc then sign him up to his own account for doing that but for those games that he has saves let him sign in offline to your one on his own xbox. Assuming he doesnt use live at all then you wont have any problems of both being signed in to XBL at once.
    Gaurentee this works have done it myself a few times when sending console off to be repaired and copied eveything over to other console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Is it possible to use an Ethernet Cable (supplied with the Xbox) to transfer Save Games between the two consoles?

Liber8or wrote: »
    Is it possible to use an Ethernet Cable (supplied with the Xbox) to transfer Save Games between the two consoles?

Nope..an ethernet cable is just for connecting to the net..a crossover cable allows you to transfer between two computers or devices but still wont work on an xbox.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Lads, thanks for all the feedback. The young lad would lose the nut if he had to start Lego Star wars all over again, I'll pick up the memory card and hope for the best. He won't be going on live, and any restrictions on achievements is fine too for those games we copy.

Thanks
    Howard

hshortt wrote: »
    Lads, thanks for all the feedback. The young lad would lose the nut if he had to start Lego Star wars all over again, I'll pick up the memory card and hope for the best. He won't be going on live, and any restrictions on achievements is fine too for those games we copy.

Thanks
    Howard

If you do it the way I said then there wont be any restrictions or other problems. Since he wont be going on live its even handier. Your profile and saves to memory card..on to new xbox..sorted.

Advertisement