Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open areas in Drogheda to learn to drive?

Options
  • 28-05-2009 2:08pm

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone knows of any open areas around the place that could be used to practice driving in?

Instructor originally wanted to head straight up to the motorway as he usually does, but I don't feel all that confident and he said if I thought of anywhere better, he'd be happy to go there.

The only place i can think of is the car park where Homebase/D.I.D/etc. are after 6 or 7 in the evening (when the place quietens down), but looking to see if anyone else can offer any suggestions at all?

(just to note, this isn't actually my problem, it's a friends. I just wrote it in first-person perspective to make it easier to read).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

The security van that patrols DID/Harvey Norman Car Park doesn't allow learner drivers to practice. I've seen them move on people on several occasions. You could try the car park next to the Police station, there is actually 2, one at the bottom on the hill opposite the station and one at the back of the station where the back of the Abbey Centre meets the Domincan church, don't know what its like there at night but couldnt imagine it would be too bad. let you know if anything else springs to mind.

Just heard back, apparently they ended up in a LIDL carpark (The one beside Smyths, Power City, etc.).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Special K

The beach?

The beach is what I first thought, too, but the Instructor wouldn't do it there for some reason. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭gipi

I was struck by your comment - "the instructor wanted to head up to the motorway as usual"....I hope that the learner wasn't driving on the motorway, even under instruction, because that's illegal! Learner Drivers aren't allowed on motorways!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭BlackandGold

Pretty sure they're covered once they have the instructor with them, although I wouldn't have thought they'd be on the motorway anyway for a lesson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Is he a qualified instructor thats being paid for lessons or just a friend helping out?
    he said if I thought of anywhere better
    If that came from a legit driving instructor then its time to get a new one, most of these guys have planned routes around different places to practice various aspects of driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭gipi

Pretty sure they're covered once they have the instructor with them, although I wouldn't have thought they'd be on the motorway anyway for a lesson

A learner driver is not allowed onto a motorway, regardless of who accompanies them, as per the Rules of the Road

As far as I know, two or three of the instructors my friends used (not speaking from personal experience here though, i don't know how to drive and have no real interest in learning) going to the motorway was usually the first thing they all did. Driving in a straight line and all that crack...?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭louth87

The car park at premier periclaise on the baltray road used to be a great spot for practising parking, hill starts etc in the evenings, not sure if it's still open to the public though?
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 drog5920

i started on the slip road of the link road between the north road and the roundabout after the m1 retail park. twas handy enough + it ot me used to cars driving by

Advertisement