Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java IDE Poll

Options
  • 28-05-2009 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

Please add any comments you have below:

What Java IDE would you expect a Junior Programmer to have exposure too? 34 votes

Eclipse
    0% 0 votes
    Netbeans
    82% 28 votes
    Other (please specify)
    17% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

definately eclipse for windows and linux for large applications, any owl gedit or bluefish for linux for small programs..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I use eclipse for android development and I find it pretty darn good. That said, I've never used netbeans so can't compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Both the same these days really. I use both and I don't notice much of a difference. Netbeans I think might be a tad slower overall maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

How about learning curve? Which IDE has the shortest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Netbeans is easier I'd say but only because Eclipse is so modular and big. Theres far more options to be searching through in Eclipse when looking for things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Evil Phil, I'd expect any junior programmer to have been exposed to both Eclipse and Netbeans at this stage. Both are free. No excuse not to have seen both.

Five years ago I would have preferred Eclipse; last time I checked it was a close run thing. They're both pretty nifty in some respects.

I don't program Java regularly any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Eclipse.

BlueJ was what I started with, but Eclipse is so extensible, you can't not be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I used to use Netbeans years ago, up until I spent far too long with the debugger attempting to work out why a particular char variable was showing up as '?' rather than it's assigned value. After some serious wtfness of wondering how I failed at something so simple, I double checked using println's and discovered that the values were actually assigned fine, but the debugger just wouldn't display them. Needless to say, being unable to trust the debugger encouraged me to switch to Eclipse.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I would be surprised if they did not have some exposure to Eclipse, but if they had only used Netbeans instead I don't see that you draw any conclusions from it. Exposure to both would be fairly impressive for a junior.

Netbeans is a nice little IDE (I also think it may be fractionally slower), and easy to use, but Eclipse is still the one to beat IMO, but not by as much as in the past.

Shorter learning curve I am not so sure, probably Netbeans?

I think eclipse is the one then. Yeah, I'd be suprised if a junior dev had exposure to both myself but I'm not a java person. Maybe thats just how java devs roll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭stephenlane80

I have both installed, a lot of opensource project use eclipse, but personally i think netbeans looks better, netbeans uses ant build files by default which is a plus for me too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭WellCultured

Eclipse is great for java.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

The command line.

If you can process a java file through the command line, you will have no problem doing it using an ide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Ass wrote: »
    The command line.

If you can process a java file through the command line, you will have no problem doing it using an ide.

Indeed; because IDEs are only useful for compiling Java files.

For that matter; shouldn't we all be developing exclusively in notepad?

A bit more on topic; I've a reasonable amount of experience with Eclipse but not much outside of the basic feature set. Personally I have more experience with IntelliJ; although that comes with a relatively hefty license fee so isn't very appealing to many.

Personally I think IntelliJ is a much sleeker environment than Eclipse; but bear in mind that vanilla IntelliJ has a lot of the kind of functionality provided by Eclipse plugins which I probably just haven't seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

ronivek wrote: »
    Indeed; because IDEs are only useful for compiling Java files.

For that matter; shouldn't we all be developing exclusively in notepad?

A bit more on topic; I've a reasonable amount of experience with Eclipse but not much outside of the basic feature set. Personally I have more experience with IntelliJ; although that comes with a relatively hefty license fee so isn't very appealing to many.

Personally I think IntelliJ is a much sleeker environment than Eclipse; but bear in mind that vanilla IntelliJ has a lot of the kind of functionality provided by Eclipse plugins which I probably just haven't seen.
    heh

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Personally, I wouldn't care what they had exposure to. In terms of an interview, I'd expect them to be able to talk about whatever they had worked with. In terms of a job, I'd expect them to be able to adapt to whatever was different to their existing skillset...whether that be an IDE, coding style, source-control, or anything else.

Maybe I'm missing something in the reason for your question, Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Eclipse is good. I use it.

If I have some nice powerful hardware behind it, and someone else buying the license, my favourite would be RAD.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 DeJaMo

I use RAD at work. Basically just Eclipse with a few bells and whistles.

Are Sun still pushing Netbeans?? Not many people seem to be taking it up....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I mainly use Eclipse but I have been doing some RoR stuff recently and Netbeans is the better IDE for that. I imported a few of my java projects to see what it was like and I was impressed. Source control handling and plugins are handled a lot better. But in saying that I won't be changing. I've been using Eclipse for a good few years and worked with the RCP platform so I've invested too much time to change for minimal if any benifits.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I use eclipse for android development and I find it pretty darn good. That said, I've never used netbeans so can't compare.

I done my final year project on Android! the NetBeans plug in is only third party so isn't as good as the eclipse plug in.

How do you find Android development? created anything I can download to the G1?

sorry about the off topic,

Having been exposed to both eclipse and netbeans over the past two years in college I would definitely favour eclipse

• Advertisement

bonkey wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something in the reason for your question, Phil.

I'm teaching a programming class at the moment and just wanted some feedback on what IDE is more popular in the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

draffodx wrote: »
    How do you find Android development? created anything I can download to the G1?

I really enjoyed it. Although that could have been as much because it was a break from web development. Twas also a couple of years since I'd done any Java stuff.

You can download the LouderVoice Reviews app from the android market. Tis effectively still a beta so excuse (and report) any bugs you may encounter.

On topic, a couple of guys I work with swear by IntelliJ so am kinda surprised more people haven't mentioned it. Coz it's not free I guess.

PS, you got an app on the market?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

PS, you got an app on the market?

No i only done an app that is suitable for use at the college so no point in deploying it to the market, it's only in a very early version and i'm either going to expand it or start a new more useful app in my free time while i look for a job

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

IntelliJ is excellent and my Java IDE of choice but I wouldn't expect a junior programmer to have used it unless he/she had worked at a company that did.

I'd expect a junior programmer to have an appreciation of how a large project is built. It doesn't matter if they've learned that with an IDE or by stringing ant/make together so long as they can take a project and build it to a runnable/deployable state without any handholding.

I'd also expect them to be comfortable with and used to using an editor designed for editing code. Again, I don't care if it's their IDE's built-in editor or vim/emacs so long as they have taken the time to learn their way around it.

There are a bunch of other things I consider to be the minimum skills necessary for a junior programmer, but they're not related to the poll. If you're interested for the purposes of teaching your class, feel free to PM me or start another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

I started off using JCreator but i've moved on to Netbeans 6 now..

I tried eclipse but it was annoying the way you had to install plugins to do anything..

Advertisement