Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

would this forward line be a match for barcas

• 28-05-2009 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

Essien Fabregas

Ronaldo Rooney

Gerard

Torres

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Without a doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

I'm going to say no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Oh god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Schools out for summer by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Essien Fabregas

Ronaldo Rooney

Gerard

Torres
    Yaya Toure < Essien
    Xavi > Gerrard
    Iniesta > Febregas
    Messi > Ronaldo
    Eto'o > Torres
    Henry = Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Oh god.

+1

how about this one?

robbie savage--roy keane

-george best--zinedine zidane--thomas brolin

Ali Dia

i think they'd outscore them

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

event wrote: »
    +1

how about this one?

robbie savage--roy keane

Ali Dia

I'm not sure Dia is as prolific in front of goal as Eto'o tbh, maybe 10 years ago when he was at his peak?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Well this one was

Essien----

Ballack
    Lampard---

Malouda
    Anelka

Drogba

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yaya Toure < Essien
    Xavi > Gerrard
    Iniesta > Febregas
    Messi > Ronaldo
    Eto'o > Torres
    Henry = Rooney

Its that simple, its still very very very cloase though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yaya Toure < Essien
    Xavi > Gerrard
    Iniesta > Febregas
    Messi > Ronaldo
    Eto'o > Torres
    Henry = Rooney

Youre doing it wrong. Fabregas and Xavi should be compared, not Xavi and Gerrard.

Yaya Toure < Essien
    Xavi > Fabregas
    Iniesta < Gerrard
    Messi > Ronaldo
    Eto'o < Torres (not much in it though, a matter of preference I suppose)
    Henry < Rooney

In fairness though - thats the best of FOUR English teams and they are just about better than what Barcelona currently have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

event wrote: »
    +1

how about this one?

robbie savage--roy keane

Ali Dia

George Best is dead! Good luck trying to get him fit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

monkey9 wrote: »
    George Best is dead! Good luck trying to get him fit!
    that news might even deserve a thread of its own !!

How about this:

Gary Breen
    Gary Breen
    Gary Breen
    Gary Breen

Gary Breen

Clinton Morrison

It was a tough call between Clinton and Gary Breen upfront but this should be enough to trouble Barca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Tusky wrote: »
    Iniesta < Gerrard

i love gerrard.

but you're a brave man to say this after what we saw last night, and all this season.

they're different styles of player, but at the very least iniesta is his equal. and that's pushing it a bit.

Iniesta < Gerrard
    No way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Well this one was

Essien----

Ballack
    Lampard---

Malouda
    Anelka

Drogba

That was a back line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭d6

Yaya Toure < Essien
    Xavi < Gerrard
    Iniesta > Febregas
    Messi = Ronaldo
    Eto'o <<<<<<<<<< Torres
    (current)Henry < Rooney

id have torres anyday of the week

stupid comparing xavi and gerrard

iniesta at the moment has more than fabregas but would we say this if fabregas played for barca and iniesta played with arsenal

essien no brainer

i dislike ronaldo but you cant deny his goal return but messi is messi it would be difficult to choose

Yaya Toure < Essien
    Xavi > Gerrard (or Iniesta > Gerrard)
    Iniesta > Febregas (or Xavi > Fabregas)
    Messi > Ronaldo
    Eto'o < Torres
    Henry > Rooney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

that line up would win. purely because of Essien.

however, it would be better to have it like:

Essien--Cesc

Gerrard
    Ronaldo
    Rooney
    Torres

but Gary Breen would beat both singlehandedly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Youre doing it wrong. Fabregas and Xavi should be compared, not Xavi and Gerrard.

Yaya Toure < Essien
    Xavi > Fabregas
    Iniesta < Gerrard
    Messi > Ronaldo
    Eto'o <
    Henry < Rooney

In fairness though - thats the best of FOUR English teams and they are just about better than what Barcelona currently have.

Personally I would have it as

Yaya Toure < Essien
    Xavi > Fabregas
    Iniesta < Gerrard
    Messi > Ronaldo
    Eto'o = Torres (The two of these are devistating when on form so its very hard to decide between them.)
    Henry < Rooney

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Iniesta < Gerrard

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Gerrard has it all except the tactical brain to make him a playmaker. He may be able to hit a 60 yard pass very accurately but Iniesta is on another level to Gerrard with quick passing, movement and knowing instinctively what to do with the ball.

Gerrard and Ronaldo are incredibly gifted but for me the likes of Messi, Iniesta and Xavi are geniuses. Because for me, "A genius is a person of great intelligence". :)

If Gerrard could finish games with even close to the pass completion rate of Inestia I'd be utterly stunned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I will not partake in this shambles of a thread other than to say how stupid this is.

Slash/ED wrote: »
    If Gerrard could finish games with even close to the pass completion rate of Inestia I'd be utterly stunned.

He has never played in a game where you are making a hundred 10 foot passes like Iniesta does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Gerrard is a striker, he should be compared with Henry, Eto or Messi.

Boggles wrote: »
    Gerrard is a striker, he should be compared with Henry, Eto or Messi.

absolutely.

He has never played in a game where you are making a hundred 10 foot passes like Iniesta does.
    What does that mean? Gerrard is 28 and he never played in a game with hundreds of short passes?

Do you mean Gerrard takes more risks? Gerrard can't do what Iniesta does. There's a lot more in the ability of passing than how far you pass it. Iniesta has a computer in his head. He's a genius and he reads the game so well he could probably play blindfolded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Essien Fabregas

Ronaldo Rooney

Gerard

Torres

I don't understand how Rooney is in there. To me he is one of the most overrated players in football. You can't fault his effort and committment but he's not the world-class player he's cracked up to be. Good yes. But a great player? In my opinion no.

I should say that I'm not just basing that on his champions league final performance, it's something I've thought about Rooney for a while, and in Rome he again failed to produce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Evil_Clown wrote: »

How about this:

Gary Breen
    Gary Breen
    Gary Breen
    Gary Breen

Gary Breen

Clinton Morrison

It was a tough call between Clinton and Gary Breen upfront but this should be enough to trouble Barca

Just spat water all over my laptop cos I lol'd. :)

aidan24326 wrote: »
    I don't understand how Rooney is in there. To me he is one of the most overrated players in football. You can't fault his effort and committment but he's not the world-class player he's cracked up to be. Good yes. But a great player? In my opinion no.

I should say that I'm not just basing that on his champions league final performance, it's something I've thought about Rooney for a while, and in Rome he again failed to produce.

don't start this. i beg you!

i'd love him to be cr*p, really i would, but he is utd's most important attacking player. bar none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I'd go for..

Yaya Toure < Essien
    Xavi > Gerrard
    Iniesta > Febregas
    Messi > Ronaldo
    Eto'o <<< Torres
    Henry < Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

lol at those comparing xavi and iniesta to gerrard, completely different players, gerrard is all about leadership, fight, heart, determination, his goal scoring record is better than xavi and iniestas combined by about 3, gerrard scored more goals this season than iniesta has in his whole career

xavi and iniesta are flair players, comparable to alonso, xavi and iniesta are far better passers than gerrard, better at holding onto the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

rossie1977 wrote: »
    lol at those comparing xavi and iniesta to gerrard, completely different players, gerrard is all about leadership, fight, heart, determination, his goal scoring record is better than xavi and iniestas combined by about 3, gerrard scored more goals this season than iniesta has in his whole career

xavi and iniesta are flair players, comparable to alonso, xavi and iniesta are far better passers than gerrard, better at holding onto the ball

BUT INIESTAS PASS COMPLETION RATE IS A BAJILLION %

I may get hung for saying this - I think Iniesta is a great player, but I also think hes slightly over rated. He was deservedly man of the match last night and has been central to everything Barcelona have achieved this year - but I still think people speak too highly of him (from what Ive seen). I wasnt impressed with him in the Euros and when you have the likes of Henry, Messi and Eto'o to aim your passes at, youre a bit spoiled for choice. One of the best players in the world, but not as good as some people would have you believe.

I would take Gerrards goals and all round ability any day.

Iniesta - 269 games 23 goals
    Gerrard - 479 games 120 goals

Inestia is both central to Barcelona and all they've done this year, which is one of the most impressive single seasons of any domestic football team in memory, and yet, not that good...?

Goals aside Gerrard isn't in his legue. Sorry but it's true.

• Advertisement

Xavi said Iniesta is Spain's best player by a distance. Toure seems to agree judging by his quotes this week comparing him to Zidane. Fabregas called him the complete footballer. And Guardiola saying Iniesta is so good he'll retire any competition for his place. These are all midfielders that have played next to him a lot.

You can't compare goals scored. Iniesta can dictate the pace of a game and when he does it's the beautiful game. Himself and Xavi are central to one of the best teams ever. He could single handedly turn the current England team into a world class team by linking up the players around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Evil_Clown wrote: »

How about this:

Gary Breen
    Gary Breen
    Gary Breen
    Gary Breen

Gary Breen

Gary Twigg

Perfect;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

BUT INIESTAS PASS COMPLETION RATE IS A BAJILLION %

I may get hung for saying this - I think Iniesta is a great player, but I also think hes slightly over rated. He was deservedly man of the match last night and has been central to everything Barcelona have achieved this year - but I still think people speak too highly of him (from what Ive seen). I wasnt impressed with him in the Euros and when you have the likes of Henry, Messi and Eto'o to aim your passes at, youre a bit spoiled for choice. One of the best players in the world, but not as good as some people would have you believe.

I would take Gerrards goals and all round ability any day.

Iniesta - 269 games 23 goals
    Gerrard - 479 games 120 goals

tbh, given Gerrard's role in the Liverpool team the last few years he plays a completely different role. Gerrard plays much more advanced, getting into shooting positions and all that and generally playing the final ball. Iniesta does this a fair bit aswell, but plays deeper in the park at times as well, in many respects it's just as good to compare him against Alonso.

Barca play with a midfield three like Pool largely spear headed by Iniesta, but that midfield tends to be a lot deeper as Barca attack from the wings a lot more than Pool, who tend to play more through the middle to take advantage of Gerrard's directness.

of course this is all derived from Champions League games so i'm open to being wrong on comparing the styles. so don't take offence, all you loyal fans ;)

If Gerrard is a striker then

Xavi----Iniesta--

Messi
    Gerrard
    Ronaldo

Torres
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Masch Alonso

Ronaldo Gerard Rooney

Torres

Seen that team somewhere else on Boards recently.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

If Gerrard is a striker then

Xavi----Iniesta--

Messi
    Gerrard
    Ronaldo

Torres
    :D

Looks good to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Looks good to me.

Thought it was a better than Barca thread though!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Thought it was a better than Barca thread though!

The lineup Jamari Bewildered Watchdog posted would be pretty much unstoppable. Then again Barca themselves have swept all before them this season anyway so maybe it's a silly thread in the first place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

Its tough but here goes

Casillas

Maicon Vidic Rio Grosso

Pirlo Fabregas
    Ronaldo Arshavin
    Kaka

Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

There's no real need for a separate thread on the most recent question posed by the OP, so I've merged the threads.

Advertisement