Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TD's Expenses and other secrets

Options
  • 28-05-2009 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

When will we get to see all TD's expenses on-line?

"Expenses" of course for a TD is different to what expenses are for some poor bastard of a sales rep, who needs to justify everything with receipts as being necessary to the business.

Probably never.

Once again the constitution-less monarchy across the water has a greater range of freedom and disclosure than here.

Republic ="Res Publica", meaning things made public. In your dreams.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Sonderval

Of course they'd not put their expenses online. Are ye mad?

This is a democracy! Cant have the people knowing what exactly we're doing now can we? They may get a notion for some constitutional reform! Perish the thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 pieye

T.D is a difficult job when done well... and in the society we decided to create it probably does need too to need to have big expenses in order to be done well ... the problem is in order to be in politics you have to be a liar.... for better or worse. Totally transparent pay would be brilliant, but you do need a bit of gravy to get semi capable people in and not just busy bodies who do it just for "the public good"[i.e. forcing their small minded idiocy onto the general public]... though now I think bout it that sounds like politics at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

To be honest, I don't have amajor issue with expenses ...once they are relevant

If we want TDs to travel to Dublin and be there a couple of days a week, we should cover travel and accommodation at the appropriate level

I would be more concerned with things like being paid a ministerial pension on top of your salary and expenses

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Sonderval

T.D is a difficult job when done well

Probably, but in this day and age, there is no reason why any aspect of TD finance should remain hidden from general view.

Its all about accountability to the electorate, for whom the TD works on behalf of.

A centralized government website where all this information is listed to the electorate is not an impossible solution.

• Advertisement
Advertisement