Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Life Coach

• 28-05-2009 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Im really not sure this is the right forum for this but I couldnt think of anywhere else to put it.

Im looking for a life coach. Ive read about the importance of going to one that you trust etc so im really looking for a personal recomendation.

Im living in Dublin 12 so anywhere that side of the city or town will be great

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

PM sent :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

I know you said you're looking for a life coach, but have you considered a counselling psychologist? They are better trained to deal with things than life coaches are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

Im currently seeing a counsellor at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

A counsellor is very different to a counselling psychologist.

The training of counsellors is extremely variable in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭IKO

I spent 100 euro on one session with a life coach. biggest waste of money ever! I was going to a councillor and that was 50 times more effective.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

ok so what do people suggest?

I am really looking for someone who can help give me some direction in my life.. professionally mainly.

I would say a councillor. when you start talking about whats on your mind...the answers will come to you....I had a "crash" last christmas when my life fell apart...lost my love..lost my job....everything...etc etc....councillor helped.

my councillor was recommended by a doctor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

If it's "general" direction you're looking for, and you're not quite sure what changes you want to make in your life and why, I'd recommend counselling/psychotherapy/counselling psychologist. However, if it's very specific career advice you need, perhaps one of those career coaches/career guidance counsellors might help? I don't know much about them personally, ie, whether it's of any use but maybe someone else can shed light.

As for lifecoaching, I know many people hold a dim view of it based on the fact there seem to be a lot of charlatans around. I can only speak from the experience of a friend of mine who did a short course of life/wellness coaching and the results were astounding in terms of setting and achieving goals. Psychotherapy was not something she wanted to do at that time but wanted something more focused on her very specific goals, which this lifecoaching did seem to provide in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭dinky earnshaw

you'd be aswell reading some self help books than going to a life coach an awful lot of charlatans out there with no qualifications. Never heard of anyone with a doctorate of life coachery!!! Definitely seek a physcology professional.
    Heres a list of pros:http://www.psihq.ie/find_psychologist.asp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

The only people who should be life coaches are too busy being successful to actual be life coaches.

Advertisement