Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quinton Jackson and Rashad Evans to coach on "The Utlimate Fighter 10"

Options
  • 28-05-2009 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭

The UFC may have just thrown us a curveball.

The upcoming 10th season of "The Ultimate Fighter" will feature former UFC light heavyweight champions Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and Rashad Evans as coaches, according to Fighter's Only.

So what about current champ Lyoto Machida?

Jackson confirmed his participation with a Wednesday Twitter message. And according to the report, Evans, who lost his title to Machida at this past weekend's UFC 98 event, will take the other slot.

The UFC, of course, traditionally pits two coaches against each other who then fight at the series' conclusion. However, this upcoming season, which debuts Sept. 16 on Spike TV, will apparently be an exception.

In a post-UFC 98 press conference, UFC President Dana White confirmed Jackson, who defeated Keith Jardine in March at UFC 96, will get the first shot at Machida's title. (According to Machida's official website, the fight will take place in September in Las Vegas.)

That means one coach, Jackson, will fight just as this season of "TUF" debuts.

Prior to UFC 98, MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) spoke to Ed Soares, Machida's manager and translator, about the possibility of the Brazilian being a "TUF" coach.

"They've talked to us about it," Soares said.

Soares, though, said he hadn't even mentioned it to Machida because he wanted the fighter focused solely on the task at hand. After Machida disposed of Evans in brutal fashion with a second-round TKO, Machida said he'd be open to the idea of coaching, specifically for a team of Brazilian fighters. (The UFC and Spike TV implemented a country vs. country format for this season's Team U.S. vs. Team U.K. show.)

However, with Machida's limited English, the UFC perhaps felt two American fighters were better suited for the reality series.

In any manner, White has teased a "big announcement" at tonight's 2009 Video Game Awards on Spike TV. He used a similar platform to announce Jackson and Forrest Griffin as coaches on "The Ultimate Fighter 7."

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

*Skips another season of this show*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭ilivetolearn

Rashad is a superb athlete but spoiled it with eccentric sportsmanship. I remember when he was reprimanded for showboating in TUF when he first started out.

Theres nothing wrong with a little confidance but he just looked silly.

Machida represents the old school house of martial arts in very positive sense. I'd like to see him coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Having Rampage on as a coach twice is a bit lame.

Are they really that stuck for people who are willing to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I would of liked to see a team of Brazilians coached by Machida. Maybe Brazil vs Canada or somthing.

Yeah Rampage coaching again is fairly pointless, and didnt do too well last time around if I remember. Would like to see him fight rashad at some point too " Its time for some more black on black crime!" :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I think UFC & Spike must have though that their audience couldnt handle the amount of subtitling a season with Lyoto would require.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

The executives from Spike were pushing for Rampage to be on the show again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

I think they should have real coaches as the head coaches and the name fighters as guest trainers from week to week.

How about Greg Jackson vs Mark Dellagrotte or Militetch vs Bustamante etc

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Hmmmm.Interesting.And Dana updated his Twitter yesterday talking bout a being in meetings and putting together a massive fight then updated it a little later with a pic of shogun in the office with him.The plot thickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

How boring is that?

Rampage sucked last time he was on the show.. the whole series was totally forgetable. Surely they can do better than that! I heard rumours that the next one was gonna be a hevyweight tuf wit real coaches i.e jackson dellagrottie on d show, (which would be way better imo) i guess that idea went out d window..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Hmmmm.Interesting.And Dana updated his Twitter yesterday talking bout a being in meetings and putting together a massive fight then updated it a little later with a pic of shogun in the office with him.The plot thickens

Shogun v Machida UFC 103, thats the latest rumour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

They should have Rampage as coach on TUF in perpetuity, the guy is class, really funny and a good coach as well.

All credit to Machida for his success, and I mean no disrespect, but screw having a guy with broken English trying to chat into a camera or talk to mainly English Speaking fighters.

Rashad is probably going to be a pain, but at least one coach should be for the drama :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Rashad is probably going to be a pain, but at least one coach should be for the drama :)

I think that is the reason that Rampage is on the series, Rashad has all the charisma of a wet towel and they are hoping someone as colourful as Rampage will amke it interesting.

I don't think the fight needs the added hype of the TUF series after seeing their confrontation following Rampage/Jardine I wanted to see the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

I read on Bloody Elbow that the Spike producers were pushing for Rampage to be on it. After that it was Page's choice who he wanted to fight and he opted for Rashad!

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/5/28/891725/quinton-rampage-jackson-requested#comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

t-ha wrote: »
    I read on Bloody Elbow that the Spike producers were pushing for Rampage to be on it. After that it was Page's choice who he wanted to fight and he opted for Rashad!

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/5/28/891725/quinton-rampage-jackson-requested#comments

YEP you're right.
    http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=20068

So I'd say Machida V Shogun in Sept and Rampage V Evans in Dec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

Regardless what people think about rampage he makes for good tv, he was very entertaining on the last show and there selling a tv show

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

He's dodging Machida

Advertisement