Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin's 98

• 28-05-2009 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Surprised to see their ain't a thread dedicated to this station already!

Love it - especially the Morning Crew, love their prank calls, skits, etc..

Also the whole 98 Golden Ticket extravaganza was v exciting - even though I didn't win :(

And of course, they did a great thing with care-for-kids charity thingy back in November - they raised a helluva lot!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 buzzbomb

Theres not already a thread dedicated because theres not a great deal you can say. They are the 'own brand' version of FM104 at this point in time, no new ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭d1975

(Surprised to see their ain't a thread dedicated to this station already!

Also the whole 98 Golden Ticket extravaganza was v exciting - even though I didn't win :( )

And of course, they did a great thing with care-for-kids charity thingy back in November - they raised a helluva lot
    reason why no one is mentioning it as there isn't anything to complain about, great competition they just had, great morning show, and they aren't in competition with Adrian for a talk show as they've got the inbox from 7 - 9 and seems Barry Dunne, Steven Cooper and Declan pearse are doing well on their respective shows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

If your going to come on here promoting 98fm you could at least hide it a bit better.

Your morning crew hasn't a patch on "Cathal n' Aine" on Radio 1
    So I'll stick with them.

btw... harassing people with prank calls (thats if you arent faking them anyway) isnt funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭d1975

If your going to come on here promoting 98fm you could at least hide it a bit better.

So I'll stick with them.

btw... harassing people with prank calls (thats if you arent faking them anyway) isnt funny

sounds like your in need of a cheering up if the alarm bells don't cheer ya up the morning crew will lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

Also the whole 98 Golden Ticket extravaganza was v exciting - even though I didn't win :(

And of course, they did a great thing with care-for-kids charity thingy back in November - they raised a helluva lot!

Your station is the bain of many many good people's lives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Most people I know don't even have 98 saved as a preset ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

So I'll stick with them.

Lol I love it! Nope, I'm definitely not an employee of 98fm, or anything else to do with them...I just love the station! :D

And the prank calls are HILARIOUS - were you one of the recipients?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

And the prank calls are HILARIOUS - were you one of the recipients?!

Humour is relative.

Some people find prank calls funny.

Me personally? I think seeing someone who makes prank calls getting repeated slaps across the teeth with a fire extinguisher would be highly amusing.

See? it's all relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

They always have TV3 and/or 98FM on in the gym... both are Satanic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

d1975 wrote: »
    sounds like your in need of a cheering up if the alarm bells don't cheer ya up the morning crew will lol

A nitric acid enema would cheer me up quicker than Dermot, Dave and Siobháin.
    This station is one of the blandest on the Dublin scene, and that's pretty good going considering just how bland most of the Dublin stations are...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 garyxxx

In my opinion that dermot on the morning crew is a plonker, seriously he thinks he's so funny. I hope i never see him out in dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

garyxxx wrote: »
    In my opinion that dermot on the morning crew is a plonker, seriously he thinks he's so funny. I hope i never see him out in dublin

I've seen him doing improv in Dublin with the always-brilliant Joe Rooney & someone who's name I forgot. He was very good. Very quick, on point & funny.

Obviously this doesn't translate exactly to morning radio where bits are probably partially written and slightly rehearsed beforehand, but it's still very good. I'm not big on the two-guys-and-a-girl formula. I think the two lads formula works a lot better. The women in these shows are just to calm down the boys usually.

Either way, the show is very good. I can't say much for the rest of 98 because I don't really listen that often these days (to Irish radio generally).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

98 is ok and I listen to them for music because fm104, spin, rte 1 and today fm either play music badly or its all new stuff non stop and repeated.

The morning crew is made better because the strawberry alarm clock is terrible and not funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

But they shout down the radio first thing in the morning... it hurts:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

unknown13 wrote: »
    98 is ok and I listen to them for music because fm104, spin, rte 1 and today fm either play music badly or its all new stuff non stop and repeated.

The morning crew is made better because the strawberry alarm clock is terrible and not funny.

Yeh Today FM and RTE Radio 1 play non-stop new songs :rolleyes:

Jaysus if you're going to do some back patting for 98, at least try and not sound biased!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jimmytwoflutes

Big Balls wrote: »
    YJaysus if you're going to do some back patting for 98, at least try and not sound biased!

Well if 98 were the best station in the world, we know you would never say anything nice about them! 98 morning crew - Award winning show - FACT! 98 in general - Award winning station - FACT! No need for arguments, its there, plain and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

Well if 98 were the best station in the world, we know you would never say anything nice about them! 98 morning crew - Award winning show - FACT! 98 in general - Award winning station - FACT! No need for arguments, its there, plain and simple.

Oh, "FACT!" - Ah, Well, that's different then...:rolleyes:

For comparison purposes :
    Westlife are an Award winning pop band
    Pia Zadora is an Award winning actress, and
    Robert Mugabe is an Award winning head of government.

The confirmation of 98 as an Award winning radio station with an Award winning "morning crew" obviously just compounds the FACT! that Award winning means "Pinnacle of perfection".

Sadly, a substantial amount of radio listeners in the commuter belt think that the 98 morning dj's are exceptionally poor, and find their 'comedy' pieces about as funny as gangrene of the penis. Hence the personal dislike expressed on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

You can praise 98 all day long for all I care, just don't put up posts (you or otherwise) saying ridiculous comments like RTE Radio 1 play non stop new music if you want to be taken seriously!

What station on air today hasn't won a PPI award?!

JNLRs rule, nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭whodoo

why aren't the mods banning the advertisement on this thread?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Please read the charter here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054887678

If you think that any posts are violating this you are welcome to use the report post button to bring it to our attention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Most people I know don't even have 98 saved as a preset ;)

Im one of these people, i never ever listen to the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

BeatNikDub wrote: »
    Im one of these people, i never ever listen to the station.

Me too, Barry Dunne is the most annoying after the Morning Crew which is an odd title of a morning programme in the first place.

The strawberry alarm clock isn't much better..cheap laughs don't work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

ateam wrote: »
    Me too, Barry Dunne is the most annoying after the Morning Crew which is an odd title of a morning programme in the first place.

The strawberry alarm clock isn't much better..cheap laughs don't work.

You dont listen to the station, but you know Barry Dunne follows the morning crew. If you dont listen, where do you get instant name recognition from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭whodoo

You dont listen to the station, but you know Barry Dunne follows the morning crew. If you dont listen, where do you get instant name recognition from?

because he or she obviously listened to it,and decided it was crap and stopped listening....honest opinion from ateam i reckon.

Are you Barry Dunne? Ha

I used to listen to 98fm and I remember how irritating Dunne was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Marty Miller was more irritating than Barry Dunne.

unknown13 wrote: »
    Marty Miller was more irritating than Barry Dunne.

Oh yeah he's very bad too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭MaltHouse Mouse

Yes, they might have done something great for charity, but what station doesn't do something for charity in this day and age? What when it comes to things like sorting out their playout system?? Coming home from work last Friday night and the same song was skipping on the same part for AT LEAST over an hour. That's just pure laziness and a good way to lose listeners. And no, I wasn't listening to the loop at home, was flicking in between station's on the drive home.

Am totally agreed with Big Ball's on this. It's the JNLR figure's that count, not a PPI award or anything besides. Sure at this stage, your Ma could probably enter the PPI's and get an award! :P

What do stations do for charity? We never actually found out exactly how much 104 raised when Adrian and Jeremy spent a week in the window at clearys. Why did we never find that out I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

We never actually found out exactly how much 104 raised when Adrian and Jeremy spent a week in the window at clearys. Why did we never find that out I wonder?

That looks very like an insinuation that someone fiddled the cash.

Very interesting.

If the internet search engine results results stating that 104 handed over €38,956.64 to the ISPCC didn't actually exisit, then you may have had a decent scandal to expose there.

Better luck next time, Sherlock.

ISPCC%20CHEQUE.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭MILF

What do stations do for charity? We never actually found out exactly how much 104 raised when Adrian and Jeremy spent a week in the window at clearys. Why did we never find that out I wonder?

Jeez mate, I'd be careful insinuating stuff like that!

I dont see a problem with 98. I used to listen to 104 all the time but 98 just seem to grab my attention more, have better comps and an all round nicer way to broadcast. The morning crew are dead funny, imo!

I think 104 went down big time when they lost Colm & JimJim, amongst others.

I wasnt insinuating anything. It just wasnt widely put about the place thats all. My bad!

Advertisement