Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What IF the worst actually happens?

Options
  • 28-05-2009 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Sometimes it feels like the Leaving cert is the end of the world and other times i could not care any less. A week to go and i only just managed to pick a book up. After a very sad attempt at studying i slam it down and give up.

Is anyone else having this same problem? I've applied for a further education course.. I'm gonna use that to get into collage. So really these exams mean nothing to me.. especially in my particular career path. Still there's this horrible voice in the back of my head screaming EITHER YOU DO WELL OR YOUR LIFE IS OOOOVER. Not just a voice in my head but a full on screaming voice with an orchestra behind it. Trying to study with THAT. pffff fat chance.

I'm basically set up without the leaving cert, yet I'm totally scared **** less.

half of me says. Look so what, you could fail everything and get 0 points.. and you will still do this course and get into collage and life will be fine.
    Then there is the other half. You have to work hard, imagine how dissapointed everyone will be. And what if what they say is true. It really does affect everything you do.

Maybe it wouldnt be so stressfull and upsetting if so much hype was'nt built up around it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I'm from the opinion that I kinda owe it to people to do well, like I am going for a high points course though. And even I am struggling for motivation at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

you do the best what you can do,you get marks for attempting the answers aswell,life itself is a long thing so you have second chance to improve yourself if you decide to resit the lc again later in life,also the experience of what you did in life can get you into college again as mature student,life is what you make it,so if you put in the effort you get the rewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

There is a course in Ballyfermot college that I could do that is apparrently just as good as the one I want to do in university. It doesn't really bother me where I go so I am ok either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Icklelittle17

Fred83 wrote: »
    you do the best what you can do,you get marks for attempting the answers aswell,life itself is a long thing so you have second chance to improve yourself if you decide to resit the lc again later in life,also the experience of what you did in life can get you into college again as mature student,life is what you make it,so if you put in the effort you get the rewards.

This is, i didnt work hard in the slightest. So i highly doubt im going to do well. But then again, the subject i love, being art.. is whats going to get me somewhere in life. Im going to go to collage based on my art and my own talent. And i've done well in art. Its by far going to be the only good grade i get because i love and enjoy it and i know its my future.

Im not sure if this means im doing well because i know what i want to do and how to get. or does it mean i let myself and people down because everything else REALLY went down the drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Not the end of the world, tbh... I think it's a good idea to have a good LC, since if your college course doesn't work out, at least you have that as a qualification to fall back on, but people take the LC far too seriously in general. It's not the be all and end all of your life, but, well, IMO, it's still worth doing well in, if you can. Taking a lazy attitude to life/exams isn't going to reward you in the long run, unless you enjoy a life of mediocrity.

• Advertisement

Nah man, no one is bothered if you don't do well in the end, but despite how cheesy this sounds, people may be disappointed if you don't do your best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭b12mearse

the leaving is a load of bull. when you decide what you wanna be you can be it. the number of points you get aint gonna sum you up how you do in interviews, personality, determination etc. etc.
    there are many ways into your chosen career.
    the teachers want you to do well because it makes there school look well and there career porfolio aswel. its all horse ****e if ask me.
    they put unnessary pressure on people like you

i find the college thing bizarre alright,as in,say if someone fails their lc,but goes out to work and learns some skills and goes back as mature student he can get in provideing he showed what he learned from working and give good interview.

I sorted expected people to be like, oh look, after all these years in school she figured out what she wants to do with her life and like shes working at getting it. This is not peoples reactions.

It funny how at this point in our life, when we are all stressed vunerable and shifting from school life to the "real world" they put us under insane pressure .

Smart thinking...

hell no,when you get older and when you meet some old school mates,you realise how different become,i.e i knew people that where regarded as smart in school and expected to do well,then when they went into the big bad world,some just went mad,gave it up and partied and did min wage jobs and such.

• Advertisement

Fred83 wrote: »
    hell no,when you get older and when you meet some old school mates,you realise how different become,i.e i knew people that where regarded as smart in school and expected to do well,then when they went into the big bad world,some just went mad,gave it up and partied and did min wage jobs and such.

And whats wrong with that?
    You see this is another problem they teach in school.
    People still have to do minimum wage jobs. Look at the current economic crisis. You have architects working in McDonalds and so on.
    People have different circumstances in there life that lead them into minimum wage jobs but school labels these jobs as bad! This pisses me off.
    When i was in school i was in the top class or whatever.
    The guys at the bottom were all labeled wasters yet they came out of school got the construction apprentices and were bringing in loads of dosh and having the time of there lives. Then there were the guys in the top classes, the academics, who went to college, followed the system, lived on the poverty ladder in college and came out of college with degrees but no one could hire them becasue of the economic crisis and then ended up working in mcdonalds LOL! I seen a load of this crap happening.
    Never follow the system!!!!!
    wise men follow their own direction:)

Yea i suppose it can work the other way around then. I come out with a ****ty leaving cert.. yet hopefully i can still make something of my life.

Ah sure, life is full of surprises. And i aint going to be one of the people that lets this determine my life.

b12mearse wrote: »
    And whats wrong with that?
    You see this is another problem they teach in school.
    People still have to do minimum wage jobs. Look at the current economic crisis. You have architects working in McDonalds and so on.
    People have different circumstances in there life that lead them into minimum wage jobs but school labels these jobs as bad! This pisses me off.
    When i was in school i was in the top class or whatever.
    The guys at the bottom were all labeled wasters yet they came out of school got the construction apprentices and were bringing in loads of dosh and having the time of there lives. Then there were the guys in the top classes, the academics, who went to college, followed the system, lived on the poverty ladder in college and came out of college with degrees but no one could hire them becasue of the economic crisis and then ended up working in mcdonalds LOL! I seen a load of this crap happening.
    Never follow the system!!!!!
    wise men follow their own direction:)

I REALLY agree with what your saying. I think its a really healthy approach to life. I really dont want my life to be determined by this and to be labelled by how i do in one set of exams.
    I want to make it what i want with subjects and ideas that i actually enjoy..

Lads I know you want to deny it, really I do. While the leaving cert may not be a guarantee to a good life, and a bad LC may not be a guarantee of a bad life, a degree certainly helps.

There is no real argument, if you put in 3 weeks now it might make your life massively better, if you spend your next 3 weeks on Boards trying to talk your way out of it, you will never know, but you'll be sure to regret it at some point.

You have 6 days before English 1, switch of your PC and hit the books. The LC may not be perfect but its your best shot, and if at the end of the day you don't need it, you only lose 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Same As

I'll try in put it in no uncertain terms for the OP... You're definatley going to be hearing this phrase over the coming weeks on 2fm if you tune into their Leaving Cert advice show, but here goes....

There is life after the Leaving Cert!

Sure it's gonna be the most important exam of you're life to date but at the end of it all you're going to think to yourself " Why did I get so bothered about that?" I know its easy for me to say coming from a person who sat their leaving cert only 4 years ago now (!) but, regardless of what points you get in the LC, there are ways of doing whatever you like in life, points are only a number, don't be fooled by what your points "tell" you!

At the end of the day,some worlds most successful individuals have not excelled academically ( Denis O Brien - Irish Billionaire failed leaving cert maths TWICE!, Richard Branson - UK Billionaire didn't even finish school!)

My advise - Don't worry about it, do your very best in each an every exams - that is all that can be asked of you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

errlloyd wrote: »
    Lads I know you want to deny it, really I do. While the leaving cert may not be a guarantee to a good life, and a bad LC may not be a guarantee of a bad life, a degree certainly helps.

There is no real argument, if you put in 3 weeks now it might make your life massively better, if you spend your next 3 weeks on Boards trying to talk your way out of it, you will never know, but you'll be sure to regret it at some point.

You have 6 days before English 1, switch of your PC and hit the books. The LC may not be perfect but its your best shot, and if at the end of the day you don't need it, you only lose 3 weeks.

:)

I'm gonna log off boards for the next 3 hours and study. Thanks for that post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Futurism wrote: »
    :)

I'm gonna log off boards for the next 3 hours and study. Thanks for that post.
    failstudy447.png

Beau x1 wrote: »
    failstudy447.png

That made me proper LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Tbh people not "caring" about the exams because they are "set up," or because the course they want has low points, or because a degree might not help, is just utter complacency and people making excuses for themselves doing no work.

Wtf is it, 4 or 5 weeks of your life? There will be plenty of time to do what you want afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

or else they simply do not care about the exams?

• Advertisement

turgon wrote: »
    Tbh people not "caring" about the exams because they are "set up," or because the course they want has low points, or because a degree might not help, is just utter complacency and people making excuses for themselves doing no work.

Wtf is it, 4 or 5 weeks of your life? There will be plenty of time to do what you want afterwards.

I know a lot of the people around me do no work because they disagree or like me, know what they want to do. I have NO interest in some of my subjects. I find it hard to pull myself to do it if i cant enjoy it. I dont think its always making excuses, i think its more people trying to find another route to where they wanna get to, wiether its because theyr against the system or just found what they want to do outside the leaving cert. So dont just Assume for everyone. And personally, those "4 or 5 weeks" are being happily spent on something that is going to actually get me somewhere in life....

I know a lot of the people around me do no work because they disagree or like me, know what they want to do. I have NO interest in some of my subjects. I find it hard to pull myself to do it if i cant enjoy it. I dont think its always making excuses, i think its more people trying to find another route to where they wanna get to, wiether its because theyr against the system or just found what they want to do outside the leaving cert. So dont just Assume for everyone. And personally, those "4 or 5 weeks" are being happily spent on something that is going to actually get me somewhere in life....

don't listen to that guy. school ain't for everybody.
    if you want my opinion, its a complete waist of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Beau x1 wrote: »
    failstudy447.png

Niiiice.

I actually studied for 3 hours though.

I know Icklelittle17, but the LC can be more important than simply where your going next.

Supposing two people go for a ****ty summer job: whos going to have a better chance, the low scorer or the 500+ performer?

The LC is more than the study and learning. It shows people - including prospective employers - that you are willing to work hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

i got really low points the last time because i didnt care, now fastfoward 3 years and i am so desperate to do well in my leaving, its all about maturity, when you give yourself a couple of years to grow up and see how difficult life is when you only have enough points to get in to a ****ty course you dont want to do, THEN you will change your mind , not now. those with the lazy attitude now will continue it into their exams. but their is no trying to fool yourself that its worth nothing, beacuse it is and however boring and headwrecking it might be you have to get on with it and make the best of it.

Mr.S wrote: »
    If the "low scorer" has more work experience in whatever the job is in, then he'd get the job, regardless of what points they have.

Thats a given, but experience is something that can be gained at any age. The Leavin Cert is important no matter how much spinning people like to put on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

Yeah, I'm having a bit of a motivation problem. Like, I did a BIT of study for the mocks and walked away with 380 while failing german. I need 415 for IR in DCU so I wasn't too far off!
    But if the worst happens, I'll kill you OP for making me think that it could happen. :P

Advertisement