Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleeping too much as bad as sleeping too little? Optimal amount of sleep

Options
  • 28-05-2009 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭

Prompted by a comment my friend yesterday made I did a bit of research on sleeping to much. You see Im unemployed at the moment until collage in spring, doing a bit of work for my mother renovating a place, so Ive been sleeping loads.

Research like this would indicate that sleeping too much is highly bad. With that in mind I slept 9 hours last night (1am - 10am), although apparently thats still 1 or 2 hours too much.

Any views on the optimum?

According to the article I should be 1am - 8am.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Yup.
    More than 9hrs a night of sleep can precipitate heart conditions (heart disease/failure). Not good. Nothing will happen now but once you cross the age of 40, you'll start noticing things.

6-8 hours is the best. Shouldn't be less than 6hrs/night. Shouldn't be more than 8-9 hrs.

Saying that i myself was asleep for like almost 12hrs last night. But i barely had any sleep all week cuz of my exams and was absolutely wrecked!!

And during holidays, i tend to sleep for 9-10 hrs a day. Not good.
    But regular exercise will help fix your sleeping patterns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭f00tball

9-10 hours? Ha. Tat's nothing.

I'm more a 15 hour person. Although I did stay awake for 48 hours...somehow

f00tball wrote: »
    9-10 hours? Ha. Tat's nothing.

I'm more a 15 hour person. Although I did stay awake for 48 hours...somehow

That is highly unhealthy. As i mentioned it before, nothing will happen now but you'll seriously regret it after you turn 45-50 years...!!

That is highly unhealthy. As i mentioned it before, nothing will happen now but you'll seriously regret it after you turn 45-50 years...!!

Oh...yeah sure i'm only 20 now. Older people can use the internet you know. I am over 50, 60 infact.

You young ones and your brains and your exams. agggghhhh!

f00tball wrote: »
    Oh...yeah sure i'm only 20 now. Older people can use the internet you know. I am over 50, 60 infact.

You young ones and your brains and your exams. agggghhhh!

Aah, well.... Sorry then...
    Its just most people on here are usually young so i assume everyone is around 20-30....

But i guess as you get older you sleep more.

And yeah, you guys are lucky, not to worry about staying up late at night worrying about crappy exams!!! :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Unfortunately "regular exercise" is kind of out of the question, except for long walks, because I have a bad ankle from breaking it.

So should I take this opinions as full medical advise :p I hope the exams went well bud.

Don't be worried about them exams dear. You'll be alright. I'll tell in my day we had more to be worried about. An auld slap on the back of the hand from the master and sure you have heard about all the abuse on the news. Tough times

Suppose that didnt help with the aul sleep...

Well we hardly got any.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Ah well, you're making up for it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

Too much sleep can cause inertia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

^^^ This is very true :)

I actually started a strict enough sleep routine in the two and a half weeks since I posted first. On a regular night I go to bed at 1 o'clock and get up between 9 and half past. 8 and a half hours is still above the optimum average of 7 and a half though.

Although I used to find getting up at 9 a pain I dont anymore. In fact the first day I started it I had no problems getting up. Id say there was a sub-conscious thing going on. Dont feel much inertia either, but sometimes a dip at around 5.

The main benefit is the amount of time Ive on my hands, around 16 hours a day. That up from the 13-14 I used to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 stbalaji2u

i sleep around 5 hours a nght.. wil it be optimum? I mostly heard that 6 hours is more than enough, so i hope my case is not worse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I'm guessing the optimum will be different for a teenager? 8-9 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭curious guy

Im 22yr old fella and if i dont get 12 hours s9-10hrs sleep im wrecked for day is dat weird?

Advertisement