Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "I should have left the credit card at home" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

What's the price for replacing tubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Good thread this, I've been enjoying reading about how others are as weak as me and buying things that they "really" need!!!

Currently have a Giant OCR aluminium road bike which is like new but I've always wanted a carbon road bike so ordered this frame last week from worldwide cycles as part of the cycle to work scheme:

aurorawhite.jpg

Was hoping to build it up over this weekend but looks like I'll have to wait till next week as its not in stock yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Lovely colour scheme. I have the Hercules, which I enjoy a lot, but that just looks so much nicer.
    What wheels and group are you going to use?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Raam wrote: »
    What's the price for replacing tubs?

Depends on the tub really. But you're better off either repairing them yourself or sending them away to someone to do it for you. Never had to do it yet as I've never punctured a tub to date.

el tonto wrote: »
    Depends on the tub really. But you're better off either repairing them yourself or sending them away to someone to do it for you. Never had to do it yet as I've never punctured a tub to date.

Everything you say is turning me away from tubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

tunney wrote: »
    Ah someone has been reading the rolling resistance studies that are done in non-real world environments and have been deemed invalid by many. The Crr is very different on a real road than on a steel drum :)

There is a world of difference between 300g in your back pocket and 300g on the rims of your wheels - namely acceleration.
    @tunney- does this mean that you reckon tubs have a definite benefit? To be honest I can't imagine you do much accelerating during a triathlon?

Do you think the differences in rolling resistance (whatever they are) have a significant difference on actual results in a race?

I'm also not sure how important bike weight is in general in the racing I am doing. I can appreciate the wheel weight issue but have only really raced on lightish clincher wheelsets (1355g vs 1450g)... Certainly wouldn't notice that 100g, there would be more drag on the 1355g ones though (R-SYS.)

Incidentally I have done the same 25TT course on a bike weighing 7kg with said 1355g clinchers and one weighing ~10kg with very heavy wheels (well over 2kg, stock wheels on the Bowery.) Over 2m30s faster on the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

ROK ON wrote: »
    Lovely colour scheme. I have the Hercules, which I enjoy a lot, but that just looks so much nicer.
    What wheels and group are you going to use?

Not sure about wheels yet, I was gonna get some carbon clinchers but as i recently bought some Kysrium Elite's for the Giant I'm thinking of using them and seen how they go as they've not been used much yet.

The rest will be Dura ace and FSA finishing kit. Been picking up any bargains on the net for the last few weeks. The frame is the last piece I'm waiting on. Will post some pics when its finished.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Everything you say is turning me away from tubs.

LOL. I thought long and hard about them and was a bit freaked by them at first, but found them to be less scary than I thought they would be when I did take the plunge.

LOL. I thought long and hard about them and was a bit freaked by them at first, but found them to be less scary than I thought they would be when I did take the plunge.
    Do you really think there is a benefit though and if so, what is it- just subjective feeling of ride quality?

They don't scare me, it's the maintenance and cost apsect that I'm not sold on. I have enough trouble motivating myself to shave my face (once the leg shaving started something had to give). I've a tonne of burst tubes in a drawer that are waiting to be patched. More thought required on this one.

• Advertisement

blorg wrote: »
    Do you really think there is a benefit though and if so, what is it- just subjective feeling of ride quality?

1. One piece rim design certain feels more sturdy and durable then slapping an aluminium faring around a carbon rim or trying to make a clincher rim out of carbon.

2. Better ride quality. Yes I know it sounds subjective, but you do notice the difference. And given that almost all of the professional peloton goes with them means I'm not alone in that view.

3. Less likelihood of punctures.

1. One piece rim design certain feels more sturdy and durable then slapping an aluminium faring around a carbon rim or trying to make a clincher rim out of carbon.

Is that slapping technique patented? ;)
    2. Better ride quality. Yes I know it sounds subjective, but you do notice the difference. And given that almost all of the professional peloton goes with them means I'm not alone in that view.

So why isn't everyone in the world riding tubs?
    3. Less likelihood of punctures.

Should we be recommending tubs to all the noobs who come in asking for advice on avoiding punctures?

What makes em less prone to punctures?

So why isn't everyone in the world riding tubs?

Everyone in the world doesn't race. Clinchers make more sense and are more cost effective for training.
    What makes em less prone to punctures?

No clincher rim that causes pinch flats.

One question I would have then would be why do you ride them so infrequently if they are so great... even in races you often seem not to have them. And there is the whole idea of having to ride your deep section wheels training a bit to get used to how they feel etc.

Well I bought them for racing and my racing season is a write off this year because of other commitments. I often don't bother with them since I'm so out of shape that I'll just be shelled regardless.

Well I bought them for racing and my racing season is a write off this year because of other commitments. I often don't bother with them since I'm so out of shape that I'll just be shelled regardless.
    I am just not sure there is a distinct benefit to tubs over clinchers in amateur racing. While there are known drawbacks.

Hope you can get back to the racing soon.

I do have deep section carbon on the shopping list, after the power meter.

The drawbacks are pretty minimal you see if you're only using them for racing.

Realistically I won't be taking it seriously again until next season, hopefully with a decent winter behind me.

I think he's just trying to get us to buy them so that he doesn't feel like he is the only one who wasted his money on bling wheels. At least that's why I recommened that everyone buy a high end carbon fibre bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

On the subject of bling wheels, Ritchey Starts Shipping SuperLogic Carbon Clincher Road Wheels.

Prettier than the Carbone Utimates, ceramic sidewalls, tub and clincher versions.

One for the Lotto list.

ritchey-suplerlogic-carbon-wheels-600x450.jpg

They're pretty light. Hope they're built better than the Ritchey ones that come with the Boardman everyone was complaining about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

They're pretty light. Hope they're built better than the Ritchey ones that come with the Boardman everyone was complaining about.

Not as light as these. 999g claimed for a set, although not very aero.

I guess I'd really want HED Ardennes clinchers for commuting, F2R 190s for hillclimbs and the Ritcheys for flat/rolling races. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

No problem with mine - so far!! Having typed that they'll now dismantle themselves on the way home!!

Obviously you can make a shallow section rim lighter than a deep one... What is more interesting to me is how light they manage to get deep section rims. Lightweight and Lew Racing are already well below the 1,000g mark for production deep section wheels. I may have posted this before, the 704.4g deep section Lew wheelset (entire bike weighs in at 3,195g.) Paul Lew incidentally is the designer of those new Reynolds wheels.

704g.jpg
    3195g.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

The LEWs are tasty alright, would love em for hill climbs, but a mate has a set and is not that pleased with them. Probably trying to get rid of them, very fragile and prone to breaking spokes.. Still you buy those kinds of wheels for show, not for go..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

just bought this today after getting the Offers email from CRC
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=32188&PartnerID=2544

it seems like good value and will get plenty of use this winter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Bambaata wrote: »

I reckon that a good buy. I've just cleared my visa - WOOHOO - so the prospect of putting more stuff on it would make me cry. Besides far too much ASSOS stuff went on it in the past! My season is over with the birth of my son part deux 2 weeks ago 7 weeks early. The Cannondale's gathering dust :(

Hungrycol wrote: »
    the birth of my son part deux 2 weeks ago 7 weeks early.

Congratulations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,407 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Bambaata wrote: »

the one thing that really annoys me about CRC is the way they reduce one size so the headline price on the listings page is low, then the one you want is way more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Well I ordered my shifters from ebay :)
    I took the advice of the sane ones here and went with the 9speed 105's, no point in the 10's as I'd need a new cassette/chain etc.. I'll save that for when I'm changing bike in the future.
    Can't wait to get them as I eventually got my ritchey carbon superlogic drop bars last week after them going missing in the post TWICE!!
    Haven't been out on the bike due to a "saddle" problem ;) since the ROK. Going to convert to drop bars before I get back out, then bring the bike to irishfit and get it setup right.

PS you don't need a CC when paypal stores the info for you AGHHH :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

the one thing that really annoys me about CRC is the way they reduce one size so the headline price on the listings page is low, then the one you want is way more expensive

Yeah +1 on that ... so irritating.

Advertisement