Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "I should have left the credit card at home" thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭tulachmhor

Went in looking for Genius 5 pro.

But left with these bad boys...

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=156&idproduct=29250

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

tulachmhor wrote: »
    Went in looking for Genius 5 pro.

But left with these bad boys...

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=156&idproduct=29250
    Very nice!

The ironic thing about it is that I can't even walk in the buggers.
    Not bad on the rothar though.
    But now I'm beginning to coordinate my bike's accessories and my appearance to suit the blazing red colour of them.
    Surely this is a slippery slope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

This in white!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Not being able to walk in them is pretty normal. You should be able to waddle like a duck, with practice.

Nice shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

@taxman. Where did you get em?

blorg wrote: »
    Not being able to walk in them is pretty normal. You should be able to waddle like a duck, with practice.

Nice shoes.

Cheers.

In comparison to MTB shoes they aren't as stable.
    I'm close to mastering the art of waddling along at this stage,but walking on a tiled surface is absolutely treacherous.

tulachmhor wrote: »
    In comparison to MTB shoes they aren't as stable.
    That would be the understatement of the year :pac: I use a MTB system on most of my bikes; a road one really just for long day cycles and racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

ROK ON wrote: »
    @taxman. Where did you get em?

Good old Ebay ROK ON.

Festina top came from this seller. The odd time they come up with some good tops in a size that suits me. It's not new but as good as.

Kas (rip off) top from this seller. Strangely they have nothing on offer now,two days ago they had loads of replica tops. :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

@TM: You don't know anywhere that has the 2008 Columbia High Road jersey do you (the blue one)? I can find it on one site but shipping costs are prohibitive and the total cost comes to over 61 euro. Love that jersey!

• Advertisement

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    @TM: You don't know anywhere that has the 2008 Columbia High Road jersey do you (the blue one)? I can find it on one site but shipping costs are prohibitive and the total cost comes to over 61 euro. Love that jersey!

Sure I saw it on Prendas at weekend as u bought the Reynolds top there.

ROK ON wrote: »
    Sure I saw it on Prendas at weekend as u bought the Reynolds top there.

Prendas only have XXXL left :(

I'll have a hunt around. I've seen it on my travels, just never took note of prices.

I like the look of this one:

20090722_SAL_SS.jpg

but I'm pretty sure Tornado already owns it :(

They have the long sleeve columbia one in my size. Might buy it seeing as it is cheap, I have no long sleeve jerseys.

...and sure I can always butcher the sleeves.

20090116_chi_ss.jpg

This could also be a winner, and has the added benefit of being able to ask ladies if they have seen the size of my giant cock...while pointing at the jersey.

This could also be a winner, and has the added benefit of being able to ask ladies if they have seen the size of my giant cock...while pointing at the jersey.

facepalm.jpg

Just buy the long sleeve high road top and don't butcher it.
    The short sleeve tops I may have come across where more than likely far east knock offs.

Totes magotes, done and done!

Any short sleeve stuff I can find is US based and very pricey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Today saw utensils purchased. Cassettes, seatpost, tyres, bb, headset, handlebar, bar tape, prob one or two more things.

Still to be settled. Pedals, saddle.

• Advertisement

uberwolf wrote: »
    Today saw utensils purchased. Cassettes, seatpost, tyres, bb, headset, handlebar, bar tape, prob one or two more things.

Still to be settled. Pedals, saddle.
    Did you ever find a fork?

@Dirk- the best jersey ever! it's purchase will hopefully be going in here soon
    276237118_tp.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

I like the look of this one:

20090722_SAL_SS.jpg

but I'm pretty sure Tornado already owns it :(

I like it! I'd need a tan to wear it though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

recent purchases
    pbk nalini armwarmers 6 euro
    pad kit + new rocloc for my helmet
    new saddle for the focus (selle italia max flite for my big butt) the 5% off still working yesterday from crc made me do that !

(hairy leg health warning)
    post man delivered my first pair of sidis this morning
    th_DSC00135.jpg th_DSC00134.jpg
    Have been wearing them since :D
    Not exactly new, but look at them! and only €16.50 delivered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

They're really old school! Well done on the white socks too.

Really need to get some longer ones to be euro compliant, especially now that the overshoes will be coming off

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?typ=tea&fkid=37&ID=2563
    2 sizes smaller than the one I got last year
    . . ."I'm too sexy for my shirt . . ."

and

Liberty Seguros 2006 Jersey - Short Sleeve

20090519_LS_SS.jpg

Nice.

I ordered this week: 2 new sets of pedals, 2 caps, 2 more pairs of those adidas cover socks (goin' cheap, 11 euro for 2!), some headset spacers. Still waiting a looooong time now for my headset bearings, stupid Ridley.

2 more pairs of those adidas cover socks (goin' cheap, 11 euro for 2!)
    What's this?

• Advertisement

Bah! it's happened again

campy record headset,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

abcdggs did you not just buy that peugot frame from adverts.ie too? ;)

no, that was for a friend of mine who foolishly thought i know something about bikes so asked me to keep an eye out for something for him. I already have a frame for building up (that has a headset already). just needs another lick of paint and some lacquer and it should be ready for assembly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Sidi_eagle_5_bianco.jpg

first pair of cycling shoes.

can anybody recommend a style of jersey ? i'm recently returned to cycling and while i can move along nicely, i'm not great so dont want to look too flashy just yet ! something plain ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

first pair of cycling shoes.

can anybody recommend a style of jersey ? i'm recently returned to cycling and while i can move along nicely, i'm not great so dont want to look too flashy just yet ! something plain ??

Sidi = good
    white = good
    MTB shoes ????!! = 1st pair, you're forgiven... we all made mistakes at the start.

Wiggle has some cheap plain dhb jersey on at the moment afaik.

• Advertisement

Sidi = good
    white = good
    MTB shoes ????!! = 1st pair, you're forgiven... we all made mistakes at the start.

Thanks caroline,

well i went for the mountain bike shoes as i was told I can walk around in them a lot easier - mind you, now that i think of it, i dont really do any walking when i'm out on the bike!!! i was told that there's no real advantage to the race shoes for the disadvantage in terms of walking up and down the stairs to stash the bicycle in the bathtub ??!!!!

thanks - i just bought those bloody things on wiggle this evening - should have added the jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

dhb-hunston-clear-zoom.jpg

Couldnt resist the 30% off - the waterproof/resistant top that is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Got a linky for these please? Can't seem to find any going too cheap...I need one as racing in pro-team kit recently because my club gear is still out of stock is really not good! Thanks

@wersal- very nice shoes, you would barely know they were MTB. MTB shoes are indeed better if you want to walk at all off the bike. Where and how much out of interest? I might be interested myself. A ratchet closure like you have there is a godsend and not present on many shoes.

dhb jerseys from Wiggle are excellent, I have probably 20-30 jerseys generally costing much more but the dhb ones I got for next to nothing are my favourites.

Hi Blorg,

I got them from wiggle for circa 148 pound sterling. i'll dig out a linky and post it.

I just ordered a jersey as well :)

comments on the jersey welcome as i can still cancel it.... edit again - i got the white jersey

• Advertisement

ps - i went for the white shoes and the white jersey as i recently bought one of these bikes (and i figured the white looks a lot nicer than the black in terms of matching up ??) - i couldn't get a road bike as i had surgery on my lower back last year and i'm not supposed to be on a bike at all:(

giant_rapid_1xl.jpg

Hi Blorg,

I got them from wiggle for circa 148 pound sterling. i'll dig out a linky and post it.

I just ordered a jersey as well :)

comments on the jersey welcome as i can still cancel it.... edit again - i got the white jersey
    It's a nice jersey but to be honest I have never spent that much on a jersey... you are better off putting the money into shorts (where I have spent more certainly, a £100 pair of shorts would be normal around here.) Also long sleeve jerseys don't tend to be the most used. SS jerseys and jackets would be more so. Again, £100 on a jacket would not seem in any way out of line.

It's a nice jersey but to be honest I have never spent that much on a jersey... you are better off putting the money into shorts (where I have spent more certainly, a £100 pair of shorts would be normal around here.) Also long sleeve jerseys don't tend to be the most used. SS jerseys and jackets would be more so.

OK, thanks for that - would you mind elaborating on why a long sleeve jersey wouldn't be that useful ?

At the moment I'm wearing a compression underwear top (rugby), on top of this i'm wearing a long sleeve lowe alpine base layer top (very light) and then on top of this i'm wearing a leinster jersey - which is a fairly tight fit - the whole set up is a revelation compared to my first few outings with a jacket that flapped like a sail. i thought i could get away with the compression top and the long sleeved cycling jersey ???? i wouldn't bother with a jacket really to be honest - i dont tend to go out on the bike for more than two hours or so - thats pushing it for me (not in fitness terms, just lower back terms).

thanks a million - sorry if i'm hijacking this thread here by looking for advice. i actually bought shorts this evening - i went for the baggy style shorts with the padding underneath. again - i'm not taking this thing too seriously so they'll do me fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Just bought one of these puppies since my other half condemed my old trainer because it was getting to noisey and i have new baby coming

Anyone else here use it ?
    LargeImage.aspx?ModelID=43181&FileName=43181.jpg

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/LargeImage.aspx?ModelID=43181&FileName=43181.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Ya i got one of those too, great trainer - very reliable if you look at the amount of Pro teams that use it. It's only now that I would love one with a powermeter!

It should be here today in the post later when i get home from work will give it spin then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,156 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

levitronix wrote: »
    Just bought one of these puppies since my other half condemed my old trainer because it was getting to noisey and i have new baby coming

Anyone else here use it ?
    LargeImage.aspx?ModelID=43181&FileName=43181.jpg

Yes, it's a great trainer.

OK, thanks for that - would you mind elaborating on why a long sleeve jersey wouldn't be that useful ?
    I would just find I wear them less compared to SS jerseys in the summer and jackets in the winter. You can make it up with extra base layers under a jacket but I would reckon a jacket pretty essential kit. Also, you only really need one jacket while you need several jerseys. A proper cycling jacket will not flap about. I'd probably progress like this, cold to warm:

LS Base layer - LS jersey - Jacket
    LS Base layer - SS jersey - Jacket
    LS Base layer - LS jersey
    LS Base layer - SS jersey
    SS jersey

Rain shell and gilet would pop in there as appropriate.

I would just find I wear them less compared to SS jerseys in the summer and jackets in the winter. You can make it up with extra base layers under a jacket but I would reckon a jacket pretty essential kit. Also, you only really need one jacket while you need several jerseys. A proper cycling jacket will not flap about. I'd probably progress like this, cold to warm:

SS jersey

so by mid july ???? its bare chested all the way :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

SS jersey

arm warmers / knee warmers ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement