Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "I should have left the credit card at home" thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

bcmf wrote: »
    the more I see that planet X in white (ish) the more I likey.
    They look great in the flesh. Saw Astra Monti's and it looks class.

I'm just thinking there, maybe ye guys didn't get to see the pictures of the frame I put up recently because it was hidden away here in a "Ultegra 6700 Brake Compatibility" thread (the reason being that I don't want to post it in the images of beauty thread until it is complete and looking beautiful really! Maybe a build progress thread would suit it better until it is ready, what do ye think?)...the provisional spec is there too on the next page. I know I have posted them up already and don't want to be flogging it to death or bragging or anything, its just when I saw your reactions to that crappy camera-phone picture I thought I would show ye the real thing if ye know what I mean! I will keep ye posted on how the build is going...so far I have everything except for the cockpit which is on its way from California second hand and should be here any day. After that and it's time to get it build up by the bike shop - I would get Mr. Skeffington to do it for me if I lived near Dublin because when I told the shop I had bought one on the internet he really wasn't impressed at all! :p

One question I do sill have for ye guys is this: I see in a picture of another guy's Stealth below that there seems to be a tiny amount of black cable guide showing through the hole for the internal cable routing. However, I have looked at mine and there doesn't seem to be any signs that show that is is actually there...that is if it is even there! Do ye guys know how important this little thingy is, and if I should get it checked out further before I give it to the bike shop to build up for me? I just feel it would be impossible to internally route cables if there was no guide already in place to show it the path to follow! Maybe Quigs Snr or Planet X could help me out here as I know they are also proud owners of Planet X Stealth Pro Carbons.

I probably won't receive much feedback here either as it is really in the wrong thread! If not, I will delete this post and put it in the "Anyone bought a TT bike lately??" thread (where there was already some discussion relating to this bike/frame and also Quigs Snr's one) or else just create a thread of it's own like I said already! Thanks in advance for your help and advice, I genuinely really appreciate it. Cheers! ;)

EDIT: Here is a link to AstraMonti's White Planet X SL Pro Carbon in case you were looking for it. I spent so much time myself searching for it I felt I should save you the time of doing likewise! Haha :pac:

94471.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

On the spin in today the front light went pfsssst.......

Dropped in some spare batteries but decided it would be much more efficient to buy a second spare light to keep the first one company and I upgraded the batteries I've been using to these.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

@Home Bally.....
    I replaced my stock Px bars etc which required taking the gear cables out. Not a problem to get them, the front mech, back in down through the BB area. One or two tries. Thought it was going to be a mare, but not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,125 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Awesome, just got an reply from Pashley. They're sending me a ding-dong bell for my cyclocross bike! I'm soooo excited.

I think I need some wider handlebars...

pashley-ding-dong-bell.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Lumen wrote: »
    Awesome, just got an reply from Pashley. They're sending me a ding-dong bell for my cyclocross bike! I'm soooo excited.

I think I need some wider handlebars...

pashley-ding-dong-bell.jpg

Would yu not just save yourself the hassle and cycle your wifes Pashley. Go on, you know you want to. Given that we are a braod church of openminded people here, no one will judge you.

• Advertisement

ROK ON wrote: »
    Would yu not just save yourself the hassle and cycle your wifes Pashley. Go on, you know you want to. Given that we are a braod church of openminded people here, no one will judge you.

I was quite tempted to put Times and a Toupe on it and use it for commuting, but I quite like the odd "out of the saddle" moment and the geometry is all wrong for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

I just assumed it was the wife's Pashley. No shame in that, I quite enjoyed cycling my wife's BSO a while back. Nice upright riding position, and no annoying crossbar to interfere with my petticoat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

I've been off work this week, and all week have had the Planet X Ti road bike rolling around inside my head. A solid 3 days now of "I really want it... but I don't need it... but I want it..." and I have finally cracked.
    Planet X wrote:
    Thank you for shopping at Planet X UK.
    We have received and are processing the following order:

Shopping Cart (Prices in British Pounds)
    DESCRIPTION
    NEW :: Ti Pro Road Ultegra

Now I have no excuse not to do every sportive in a 100 mile radius next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

To think I'd save money by not using the tube to work (But it wasn't my reason for commuting by bike), and every week my CC bill from wiggle/CC tops a weekly ticket. When the hell does one have enough gear to get through winter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

You have saved on gym membership and doctors fees later in life. Factor that in and you're grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Latest damage;

SMART LED's x 3,
    Mars Blackburn x 1,
    10 tubes x 1 (an actual good buy at €2.7 at tube),
    8 Rechargeable AAA Batteries,
    AAA Battery Recharger,

€80 altogether.... knowing drivers nearly have to see me now when over taking - priceless!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Bought a BMC a few days ago, amongst other things.

Raam wrote: »

Action man paintjob?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

That cross bike from Wiggle?

What will you use it for or will you use cervelo as a hack commuter.

My broken Orbea went back to shop today for the replacement frame. I was confronted by the realisation that lots of road bikes are reqd for when some of them are hors combat.

Can anyone recommend 1.5k bile that is not a PX or Focus.

Lumen wrote: »
    Action man paintjob?

We move, 5 meethah spwead, no sound.
    blorg wrote: »
    That cross bike from Wiggle?

Just in time for the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,441 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

look keo 2 max,magicshine, blt rear light (trying to restrain myself)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

i bought an Ibis Mojo Tranny frame today......... i'ts loverly

I'm eyeing up a Giant TT rig for that.

http://www.bellatisport.com/shop/category/104/product/505/Wilier_Izoard.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The PX. Honestly it is as good as bikes three times the price, probably better. If you buy anything else you are an idiot.

@Raam- do you have the bike yet? Need to start on the cyclocross training if so. I have been in communication with Lumen on this matter. Us noobs need to stick together, honestly it is harder than you think :)

• Advertisement

@Raam- do you have the bike yet?

Got it yesterday, but have to send it back since it is damaged.
    Need to start on the cyclocross training if so. I have been in communication with Lumen on this matter. Us noobs need to stick together, honestly it is harder than you think :)

Yeah I've heard the CX races are very tough!
    We can sprint it out for 3rd last place!

Wilier Mortirolo White 2008 Centaur/Veloce roadbike

(site found by Murph100)

edit: sorry that's only in large. More where that came from though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

My broken Orbea went back to shop today for the replacement frame. I was confronted by the realisation that lots of road bikes are reqd for when some of them are hors combat.

I really like the look of the Canyons, however this money for an Aluminium frame may be a deterrent. Canyon really had great value in their end of season sale but all gone.
    The Planet X looks terrific value especially as it will be your winter bike! Listen to the blorg.
    By the way ROK ON, two winter training bikes ???

The PX. Honestly it is as good as bikes three times the price, probably better. If you buy anything else you are an idiot.

No issue with the PX, just that I have a pathological aversion to buying thigs that everyone else has. Reardless of how good something is, I try to avoid 'herding' at all costs.
    sy wrote: »
    By the way ROK ON, two winter training bikes ???
    Well one of them is broken beyond repair, and the frame is being replaced under warranty.
    BTW, Stagg in Lucan were very nice to deal with. Brought in the Orbea. They looked at it, said 'oh dear'. Then said that will go back. You will get a new frame under warranty. Entire process took 2mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Well one of them is broken beyond repair, and the frame is being replaced under warranty.

So a new bike while you wait for the warranty repair?

So a new bike while you wait for the warranty repair?

Best excuse ever!
    I wish I had thought of that whilst waiting for my warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

BTW, Stagg in Lucan were very nice to deal with. Brought in the Orbea. They looked at it, said 'oh dear'. Then said that will go back. You will get a new frame under warranty. Entire process took 2mins.
    When it returns, 2 winter training bikes:).

Glad to hear it was sorted without any fuss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,441 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

did you buy it from stagg ?

aand look what heppens when you dont buy a planet x;)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

I have a thing for Cinelli's. Have a look here (I've dealt with these guys before and can recommend them):
    http://www.gambacicli.it/cinelli_corsa.htm

A fully built up carbon-framed job will probably come in a bit over 1.5k but there are nice alu-framed, full builds for less and some good frame kit deals (frame, forks, stem).

• Advertisement

Thanks for the links.
    I like the Wiliers. Also have seen BBosco steel frame and it is lovely.
    Will wait until I get an estimate on when I get replacement Orbrea frame before buying.
    If I do buy I will have to be able to take immediate delivery rather than waiting, otherwise what's the point.

Advertisement