Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "I should have left the credit card at home" thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Just put this on the credit card -

http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=1932

Biggest hit it's taken yet. Can't wait to get it and to build it up (and enter it on the 'Images of Beauty' thread, of course).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

Just put this on the credit card -

http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=1932

Biggest hit it's taken yet. Can't wait to get it and to build it up (and enter it on the 'Images of Beauty' thread, of course).

OOOOOH that's nice. Nice price reduction too !!

OOOOOH that's nice. Nice price reduction too !!

Cheers Super Freak.

They've got the reductions going throughout the TDF. 'Twas way over my budget (what budget?) but proved too hard to resist.

For anyone interested the reductions which Canyon are offering are calculated on a daily basis based on the performance of the riders using their bikes during the TDF. I got the above at a 40% reduction. 30% was being offered on friday and 50% someday earlier in the week.

The rules of the competition are as follows -

(from the Canyon website)

On the first day of the Tour we kick-off with a discount of 10% which we're donating so to speak as an advance on a hopefully successful race. After that we'll leave the racing to the riders.

It's very easy to calculate the available daily discounts. If the best Omega Pharma-Lotto rider (or the team as the case may be) is in the top 10 of any of the competitions, you will receive a discount of 10% per competition. If the best rider (or team as the case may be) is in the top 20, you'll receive a 5% discount per competition. .

The following competitions are included in the calculation of discounts:

* Current day's stage
    * Overall standings in the green jersey competition (best sprinter)
    * Overall standings in the polka dot jersey competition (best climber)
    * Overall standings in the yellow jersey competition (overall winner)
    * Best team competition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

New helmet purchase.
    http://www.ekoi.fr/casque-ekoi.php?var=763

I've been using the mtb helmet on the roadie until now probably to the disdain of many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Having a lot of free time on work is not a good thing. Anyway I am looking around the sites the last days mostly about anything, from frames to bolts.. and CRC and wiggle have been the most expensive for mostly everything. Bike24, shinybikes, jedi, parker, merlin are all cheaper than CRC and Wiggle.

Guys take a good look around before you press the submit button, I 've seen differences of even 30-40 euros on 140-150euro products (stem, handlebars to name two).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Having a lot of free time on work is not a good thing. Anyway I am looking around the sites the last days mostly about anything, from frames to bolts.. and CRC and wiggle have been the most expensive for mostly everything. Bike24, shinybikes, jedi, parker, merlin are all cheaper than CRC and Wiggle.

Guys take a good look around before you press the submit button, I 've seen differences of even 30-40 euros on 140-150euro products (stem, handlebars to name two).

hey all that advertising on eurosport and itv4 aint free :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

i bought a campagnolo groupset from shinybikes only 8 weeks ago

great to deal with, really knowledgeable, and best of all, i rang and left a message and they actually rang me back,

honestly, how often do shops ever ring you back????

delivery was only 2 working days as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

plus crc have got ridiculously slow, 2 days just to process my order never mind deliver it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

kennyb3 wrote: »
    plus crc have got ridiculously slow, 2 days just to process my order never mind deliver it

Really like cyclesuperstore on that note, oredered Friday delivered yesterday :)

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Cheers for the sites astramonti, here's a virtual beer ;)
    Been waiting for 3 weeks for wiggle to send my richey carbon stem and they kept saying they'd have it in in a few days. So just cancelled my order and got it from Jedi instead for €109.90 instead of the original £126.04 from wiggle, saving about €40. Sweet!

Any opinions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,156 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Any opinions?

I don't like tailcap clickies, but in the case it would probably be OK as the battery spring is shielded by the carrier.

OTOH I doubt the runtime would be great at 5W with AAA batteries.

Nice price!

Yes, it's that cheap that I am thinking of getting it just to try it. And it's front and back as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Bought Oakley Gold Iridium spare lenses for my Radars and a new set of Oakley earsocks :cool:

Cheers AstraMonti

Just bought a s*** load (shed load ICYWW) of stuff from Merlin. Their selection aint huge but they beat Wiggle and CRC for price on EVEYTHING that I checked. They had problems processing orders with their site over the w/e but everything seems to be fine now. Very polite and friendly over the phone.

Lemag wrote: »
    Cheers AstraMonti

Just bought a s*** load (shed load ICYWW) of stuff from Merlin. Their selection aint huge but they beat Wiggle and CRC for price on EVEYTHING that I checked. They had problems processing orders with their site over the w/e but everything seems to be fine now. Very polite and friendly over the phone.

used to buy a lot of stuff from them wehn they were in aold mill in ormskirk glad to hear they are still competitive nice bunch of guys in there when i used to go up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

White bar tape :)

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

11-25 Chorus 11 cassette off cyclingbargains.com for ~117 yoyos.

Very hard to find good prices on them at the moment, all the usual suspects are more expensive ATM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Polar CS200CAD. Got a good price on it on amazon.co.uk of all places.

Was going to go for Edge 500, but I don't really care about the GPS side of things.

Went to CSS this morning and bought a fizik arione saddle...its white
    I've just ruined my perfect colour matching scheme (blue/black/silver)
    What am I going to do now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Polar CS400 with Cadence in CSS on Saturday. 20% off & best I could find. Also got sensors for 2 bikes :)

lafors wrote: »
    What am I going to do now?
    Replace the bike to match the saddle!

Any opinions?

Btw I got this, cheap looking, not very strong but definitely better than the cheap cateye lights. Somehow I doubt for it's waterproof abilities, but will find out soon I guess.

Btw I got this, cheap looking, not very strong but definitely better than the cheap cateye lights. Somehow I doubt for it's waterproof abilities, but will find out soon I guess.

Run time?

• Advertisement

I 'll test it today and let you know tomorrow.

Replace the bike to match the saddle!

I was thinking thae same myself, can you go too white?
    I might change my michelin pro 3 with blue sidewalls (I've got a bit of damage on the fronts sidewall) to vred fortezzas with white sidewalls, and my blue bartape is looking grubby ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 savedbythebell

I just ordered one of these, in white................

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPR/sl-pro-carbon-sram-red :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

3T Ergonova team carbon handlebars
    3T Team 120mm stem
    3T bar tape black
    Gore Ride on brake+gear cable set
    Lampre/Farnese Vini BLACK EDITION Team Jersey. Prendas Cotton Cap 2010 Limited Edition.
    Prendas New Generation Track Mitts/Summer Gloves.

Foam roller for stretching exercises.:o

Must hide card for the rest of the month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

3T Ergonova team carbon handlebars
    3T Team 120mm stem
    3T bar tape black
    Gore Ride on brake+gear cable set
    Lampre/Farnese Vini BLACK EDITION Team Jersey. Prendas Cotton Cap 2010 Limited Edition.
    Prendas New Generation Track Mitts/Summer Gloves.

Must hide card for the rest of the month.

I saw that Lampre kit at weekend. Class. Also would like a green/pink version a la TDF green jersey - for some reason it works.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Run time?

So far it's running for 3h:45m with 3 AAA rechargable batteries 850mAh and still looking strong. There was a bit of flickering at times, but you 'd never notice it on the bike. I will continue tomorrow!

ROK ON wrote: »
    I saw that Lampre kit at weekend. Class. Also would like a green/pink version a la TDF green jersey - for some reason it works.

It's a lovely top,can't wait to see it in the flesh. I only went onto the site for gloves but when I saw the kit I just had to hit the "Buy" button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Embrace the pain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Today I bought:

a specialized black and red bottle cage
    a chain tool
    front and rear lights (wonder what made me think of that;) )
    The Death of Marco Pantani by Mark Rendell

I am also off for a bike fit this evening.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Embrace the pain

Christ you're not wrong there. I did a couple of IT stretches with the roller and it felt as if I was dragging my leg across broken glass. I've got some hard work ahead but hopefully in time it'll pay off.

Christ you're not wrong there. I did a couple of IT stretches with the roller and it felt as if I was dragging my leg across broken glass. I've got some hard work ahead but hopefully in time it'll pay off.

I am thinking of going yoga, wanna come along? :D

a specialized black and red bottle cage

I have some of those, "rib cage" I think. Savage grip.

So far it's running for 3h:45m with 3 AAA rechargable batteries 850mAh and still looking strong. There was a bit of flickering at times, but you 'd never notice it on the bike. I will continue tomorrow!

Add another 4 hours and 15m to that, for a total of 8hours. It's still running very low at the moment but hasn't died yet.

Not the best place to ask but since you mentioned it....
    Which would be of more benefit to cycling, yoga or pilates?
    Hurt my back in work a few weeks ago and the physio told me go do pilates classes when she's done with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

3T Team 120mm stem

What is the stem like? Is it beefy enough? As in, girth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

I had IT band trouble when I started running, and ended up getting a foam roller. I used it once, and that was enough; IT band sorted no more pain. I think the roller just overloaded all the pain receptors for that part of my leg, cos holy crap it hurt like nothing else. Best of luck with it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Lumen wrote: »
    I have some of those, "rib cage" I think. Savage grip.

No - it's a "zee cage" - I have one already and it's grand. The rib cage looks rather nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I'm having intermittent ITB issues myself at the moment. Stretching seems to be giving me some relief and I'm hoping that I can nip it in the bud. Where'd you get the roller?

Raam wrote: »
    What is the stem like? Is it beefy enough? As in, girth.

With crude measurement it's roughly 11cms in girth. 3T ARX Team

If you want a butchers at it let me know. I won't be dismantling the Zipp cockpit just yet.

niceonetom wrote: »
    I'm having intermittent ITB issues myself at the moment. Stretching seems to be giving me some relief and I'm hoping that I can nip it in the bud. Where'd you get the roller?

Irishfit.eu. Not sure how their prices stack up but I find trawling the net for cheap foam boring. Hope it doesn't become too big an issue for you.

Can I come along to point and laugh. Seriously though where are you thinking of doing it? Drop me a PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Can I come along to point and laugh. Seriously though where are you thinking of doing it? Drop me a PM.

I may be interested too, it's something I've been meaning to try for a while but I think it's easier to go with people you know :)

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I may be interested too, it's something I've been meaning to try for a while but I think it's easier to go with people you know :)

Queue "helping hands" yoga picture.:D

edit:I'd certainly look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ted9308

powertap sl hub system!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

With crude measurement it's roughly 11cms in girth. 3T ARX Team

If you want a butchers at it let me know. I won't be dismantling the Zipp cockpit just yet.

I had a bolt shear at low torque on one of these. Going to get it replaced by wiggle and hopefully a once off.

Advertisement