Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "I should have left the credit card at home" thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

chakattack wrote: »
    I had a bolt shear at low torque on one of these. Going to get it replaced by wiggle and hopefully a once off.

I think they're Ti bolts (at least they are on some 3T stems). They might as well be made of butter.

Question for the weight weenies: about how many grams does swapping out all your steel bolts for titanium save?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,156 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

niceonetom wrote: »
    Question for the weight weenies: about how many grams does swapping out all your steel bolts for titanium save?

I can't answer your question.

I just bought a Thorn Accessory Bar for my Scott Addict, so my weight weenie status is officially dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Lots. From your wallet. BOO-YA!

Raam wrote: »
    Lots. From your wallet. BOO-YA!

Capitalist Confucius say: No matter how much you spend, your credit card will not get any lighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

+ 1 Gimme stainless steel anyday, which is exactly what I'll be replacing the next Ti Bolt that shears with . :mad:

I think they're Ti bolts (at least they are on some 3T stems). They might as well be made of butter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Spending money I don't have.... as well as these 5 attachments there were two sets of replacement brake blocks, a skull cap for the winter, and a cleaning brush....

Endura FS260 Aerogel Mitts - Medium - White
    123811.jpg

SockGuy Bike Pure Socks - L/XL - White
    123808.jpg

Endura Coolmax Socks - 3 Pack - Large - X-Large White
    123809.jpg

BBB Digital Pressure Gauge BMP90 - Black - Each
    123813.jpg

High5 Energy Gel + Caffeine - 38g Orange (Box of 20)
    123814.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭k_d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Jawbones :o

Diarmuid wrote: »

Very comfortable glasses to wear. I like em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Tasty, i hope you got them in a ridiculous colour scheme, anything else is un-euro!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

abcdggs wrote: »
    Tasty, i hope you got them in a ridiculous colour scheme, anything else is un-euro!

Tempted to get prescription ones but haven't seen Tyler farrer on eurosport lately so the advertising impulse is waning.

Do I have to get mad colour combination even for prescription (possible non cycling use) to comply with the rules?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Bought a winter jacket (More Mile) in TK Maxx (Oi, stop sniggering) for €12.99, pro cycling (TdF review) and "We were young and carefree" the Laurent Fignon autobiography. Also bought about 30 million granola bars (7 boxes would be more accurate).

I went into three book shops today, the first two had six or seven books on cycling, all of them except one were by or about Lance Armstrong. The other book was about a Clare hurler that cycled across Canada for charity to raise funds for cancer, the foreword was by, you guessed it, Lance Armstrong. The third bookshop did have a good selection on all sporting topics but I went with Fignon over Brian Glanville.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

abcdggs wrote: »

oops!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Ok, so first of all I'll admit I'm secret TK Max rummager (that's step 1 on program), but sometimes it bears fruit - today in Arkla after taking the kids to Cats & Dogs 3D, I went for a rummage and came away with 4 cycling tops a Sugoi L/S (fleece), Sugoi S/S (full zip), More Miles L/S (fleece), More Miles S/S (half zip) and an X-cellerate Choob and all for the princely sum of 92 yoyos - hamper camper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

New Reba Race forks, and another 10% off the listed price at Merlins when you check out!
    RSREBARACE.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

pair of vittoria diamante pro foldiing tyres in decathlon in auxerre for 39.90 (37.50 each on chain reaction )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

One of these arrived this morning:

51436.jpg

Nice and tight, pure kwalitee.

I'm posting mainly to warn off anybody else from getting one in the Dublin/Wicklow area. If I see anyone in same, I may attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Pair of Michelin Pro3s half price on Planet X (€24ea). Not too shabby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Some new cranks. First of the upgrades for the new bike. Wheels next I reckon.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=35747

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Picked up a winter bike jacket and a pair of gloves in a sale in Exisport over here in Bratislava and only €26's exchanged hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Thanks to wiggle i made an impromptu purchase of cleats ... then i couldn't stop and gots me some clothing and a suit for duathlons coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

oflahero wrote: »
    One of these arrived this morning:

Nice and tight, pure kwalitee.

I'm posting mainly to warn off anybody else from getting one in the Dublin/Wicklow area. If I see anyone in same, I may attack.

That, my friend, is a thing of beauty! Well wear. I'm gonna have to find a mighty fine jersey to match that to keep me from buying the same for fear of incurring your wrath on the roads of Wicklow :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I bought a cheap rack and panniers for the hybrid. I could take or leave the panniers but I'm very partial to a cheap rack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

oflahero, this is your fault.....

Ordered one of these
    c0763.jpg

and one of these
    c2495.jpg

I really want this but I held off until next round of purchasing ;)
    I've got a favourite but which one of these would get your vote???
    campag-hrtg-wnd-lgt-jkt-10-med.jpg
    6812.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I love campagnolo clothing, top quality! And pricey too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

just got me these ... i know they're not super white ... but they're on sale. I do love my Mavics but they're too big :(

scott-road-pro-womens-road-shoe.jpg

Evans are sneaky b@stards

Deliver to Ireland:

Delivery cost for this item: € 6.07
    For free delivery spend over: € 60.73

The shoes are € 60.72 so I HAD to get something else ...

Lafors, you're treading a fine line. Best let me know in advance what your weekend planned routes are so that if our paths do cross, we'll at least be colour-coordinated.

I too was on the cusp of ordering that campy winter jacket (in white, natch) but with the jersey already in the order basket, I thought of the floods in Pakistan and thought, I just can't do it. Sounds sanctimonious I know, but the prices ARE a bit silly. Not quite Rapha-silly, but still.

Lafors, you're treading a fine line. Best let me know in advance what your weekend planned routes are so that if our paths do cross, we'll at least be colour-coordinated.

I too was on the cusp of ordering that campy winter jacket (in white, natch) but with the jersey already in the order basket, I thought of the floods in Pakistan and thought, I just can't do it. Sounds sanctimonious I know, but the prices ARE a bit silly. Not quite Rapha-silly, but still.

Good looking is something money can't buy
    but looking good is something money can buy ;)

PS if you don't buy those threads then the lads who work at campagnolo won't get paid as much and they in turn won't be able to help the floods in Pakistan. Its like the pyramid effect ;)

PPS Don't you dare buy the white one!

lafors wrote: »
    PPS Don't you dare buy the white one!

On reflection I think the white one would break your heart during the Irish winter, especially without mudguards.

• Advertisement

On reflection I think the white one would break your heart during the Irish winter, especially without mudguards.

I'm not buying the black one anyway, my decision is between the white campa name logo and the white with stripes ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 savedbythebell

Ordered this wheelset, Soul s4.0 to go on my white PX Sl pro carbon..which im also still waiting for! Come on September.

http://www.bikesoul.com/2009/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=12

SSXSoul1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

lafors wrote: »
    I'm not buying the black one anyway, my decision is between the white campa name logo and the white with stripes ;)

have the white one with stripes - tis a thing of beauty :D its on the tight side though.

also have the jersey olfahero posted - except i have the black and white one. few other campagnolo bits too - happy with all of them.

Ordered this wheelset, Soul s4.0 ]

you expecting to be hit for import duty etc ??? price looks pretty good. am currently looking at a set of much more expensive wheels - these ones are similar to what i'm looking for, similar weight etc but seem a lot cheaper.

Duty is hard to avoid but sometimes you get lucky.

The wheelset has some great reviews / some ok reviews, they look great and weight is decent plus i didnt want the expense of carbon, but Sean at Soul is great to deal with so far.

The s2.0 wheelset comes in at 1330grams, not bad for $470 shipped.

http://www.bikesoul.com/2009/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=10

its the s4, as you posted, that i'd be interested in. if i was hit for duty though it would bring the price up close to that of similar wheel-set i'm looking at from a more established crowd. nice looking wheels. i think in white would go well with my black bike....

does the weight include the skewers/quick releases ? cant find that info on the site.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

From reading other forums, the weight includes rimtape but not skewers.

Ive got these ordered for my Px at 44grams for the set.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WSPXTISTQR-RED-PR/planet-x-ti-stick-quick-release-with-carbon-levers---red---pair

What wheelset are you considering?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

My tool collection grows
    btl-52.jpg

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Probikekit has been open all day with this jacket crying out to me, do I really need another jacket though, at £36 it's very tempting.

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C2856

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

New Shoes..... :)

4692096196_95245a9aa0.jpg

No doubt I will now be faster and better in ever single way. Oh they are Shimano M161 for those who are interested.

Adrian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

After being being berated on here about my attire, I have decided to take the plunge and go full lycra:

4ba703020c056.jpg

AFP_cipo_muscles_suitp.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Tacx Satori Turbo trainer.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

ROK ON wrote: »
    Tacx Satori Turbo trainer.

End of an era ;)

el tonto wrote: »
    End of an era ;)

And the bright new dawn of another. :)

Second hand Giant turbo trainer
    Second hand cheap rear wheel
    Continental trainer tyre
    New cassette
    Couple of tubes

All for the privilege of feeling guilty every time I plonk myself in front of the telly.

cliffbar-shots-med.jpg

rear mech hanger
    high5-zero-ind.jpg

Unless you bought 50 boxes of them, you're barely even registering on the scale.
    Please try harder ;)

After a bit of poking around on the interweb, it appears I also need a lockring tool, a chain whip and some grease. Captain Obvious tells me that becoming a proper cycling person is a rather complicated and expensive business.

Raam wrote: »
    Unless you bought 50 boxes of them, you're barely even registering on the scale.
    Please try harder ;)

feck140.jpg

although i am thinking of a planet-x frame (it will be a kaffenback so i still wont be able to play with the cool kids ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement