Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "I should have left the credit card at home" thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

CLufcnoWUAA-VOg.jpg

Signed Marcel Kittel and John Degenkolb jersey arrived today, bought via their FB competition. They were auctioning off 102 of them, for charity (German youth cycling...so yeah, not exactly Oxfam).

It was a pretty generous deal, my bid was a bit less than the retail price in the webshop, and they paid the postage and 19% tax. Delighted with that. Hoping to mount it on the wall somehow.

Did you get a supply of "zhe german engineering for your hair" with it ? ... and your left sock is not fit as good as the other one ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

CLufcnoWUAA-VOg.jpg

Signed Marcel Kittel and John Degenkolb jersey arrived today, bought via their FB competition. They were auctioning off 102 of them, for charity (German youth cycling...so yeah, not exactly Oxfam).

It was a pretty generous deal, my bid was a bit less than the retail price in the webshop, and they paid the postage and 19% tax. Delighted with that. Hoping to mount it on the wall somehow.

I have the same socks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭comete

Ordered a MTB a few weeks ago, got a call from the shop to say its ready for collection today.

Ordered a new road frameset, got a call from the courier to say its with concierge in my apartment.

In most situations that would be great news, however I need to face herself with two new bikes she doesn't know about this evening.

I reckon I may be hospitalised with a bike wrapped around my head this eve, question is, will it be a road, track, cx, or MTB?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

<snip>
    Hoping to mount it on the wall somehow.

Make a flat cardboard body (slightly too big), pull jersey over it, mount in box frame, et voilá, mounted jersey :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

gadetra wrote: »
    Make a flat cardboard body (slightly too big), pull jersey over it, mount in box frame, et voilá, mounted jersey :D

For now I've just put it on a vaguely torso-shaped box and put it on a shelf, at some point I'll do something like that though :)

Voila

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

Got some shimano shoes and first set of SPD pedals from CRC :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

comete wrote: »
    In most situations that would be great news, however I need to face herself with two new bikes she doesn't know about this evening.
    pretend you don't know a thing about them, and spend half an hour in her earshot shouting into a phone pretending to argue with someone about these items you did not order. then just shrug your shoulders and mutter 'the ball is in their court'. and start building the frame up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Just dirty the MTB up a bit and just put it in the hallway. Wait until/if she mentions it. Play the "that's being there for ages, look at the state of it" card. if she believes you, great. If not, it's ready to jump on and hightail it out the door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

To be fair, you only need to explain ONE new bike and a replacement spare part - it's all about how you position it. Just practice in front of the mirror saying in a casual and dismissive way 'Sure the frameset is the cheapest part of a bike.....' :cool:

Anyway, as a wise man said on here recently, it's always easier to look for forgiveness than to look for permission!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Hide it. Then in a few weeks time when she ll notice it just reply that you had it for aaaaaaages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

"It's my money, I'll spend it how I like".
    Try that line. If she gives you grief, then I guess it's just not meant to be with you two.
    After the breakup you will still have your two new bikes. Good times.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Christ - my wife never knew about any of my bike purchases - she knows I have a few in the garage and at various other locations around the globe, but she has very little idea as to how, or indeed when, they got there (or indeed what Di2 or powermeters are, let alone how much these things cost)

:pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Beasty wrote: »
    Christ - my wife never knew about any of my bike purchases - she knows I have a few in the garage and at various other locations around the globe, but she has very little idea as to how, or indeed when, they got there (or indeed what Di2 or powermeters are, let alone how much these things cost)

Around the Globe??

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Weepsie wrote: »
    Around the Globe??

I like to spread my wares around

OK, maybe the wording adopted was more for effect, as I only currently have bikes in 3 separate locations although I would plan on boosting one of my offshore "fleets" before too long. Will probably get another couple when I buy the next holiday home in the Caribbean or Asia Pac region as well:p

IMG_20150806_195422_zpsj14zb4lf.jpg

Managed to hide the other one, for now...

IMG-20150806-WA0014_zpsv6rwp6hc.jpeg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

my wife knows what my PM cost. it floored her more than any other purchase, mainly as she didn't understand it.

that was until she realised i spent as much on a disc wheel...a single wheel. that blew her mind altogether.

bikes she'd accept most anything. it's when a single component costs more than what she sees as expensive for a bike she flips.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

mossym wrote: »
    my wife knows what my PM cost. it floored her more than any other purchase, mainly as she didn't understand it.

that was until she realised i spent as much on a disc wheel...a single wheel. that blew her mind altogether.

bikes she'd accept most anything. it's when a single component costs more than what she sees as expensive for a bike she flips.

I bought a fish tank once. My wife found out how much it cost. It cost more than her wedding dress. She will never find out how much my bikes cost or how much I spend on bike stuff after the reaction to that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

This thread is doing me no good. There is a lovely Focus winking at me every time I'm in Kilmallock Cycles . In recently and I was trying to figure out how much was left on credit card and how to explain it.

Only got my present defy advanced last year

• Advertisement

Haha! Now have 4 disc wheels, 2 five spoke front track wheels and 7 PMs (with another on order)

(I think:o)

Haha! Now have 4 disc wheels, 2 five spoke front track wheels and 7 PMs (with another on order)

(I think:o)

thank god i've no interest in track. 3 sets of road wheels and a disc is more than enough. having to have more wheels for the track and i'd need a bigger shed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Raam wrote: »
    "It's my money, I'll spend it how I like".
    Try that line. If she gives you grief, then I guess it's just not meant to be with you two.
    After the breakup you will still have your two new bikes. Good times.

One of us must be adopted for that first line is shocking!

I like to spread my wares around

OK, maybe the wording adopted was more for effect, as I only currently have bikes in 3 separate locations although I would plan on boosting one of my offshore "fleets" before too long. Will probably get another couple when I buy the next holiday home in the Caribbean or Asia Pac region as well:p

It's tough for those of us with other bikes around Europe indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Lads there's a serious amount of I hope the wife don't find out going on here. Sort it out. Spend your money as you see fit just make sure the bills are paid first. Of all else fails sell the wife and buy more bikes

stecleary wrote: »
    Lads there's a serious amount of I hope the wife don't find out going on here. Sort it out. Spend your money as you see fit just make sure the bills are paid first. Of all else fails sell the wife and buy more bikes

Indeed. Treat yourself, if you can afford it and if you want to. Nothing wrong with that. No need to feel guilty about it. If someone gives you grief after that... well why don't they want you to be happy?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I think most of it is in gest

It's not "your" money. It's "our" money. The bit that she knows about anyway!

Bottom line - she's entitled to half the debt I've taken on to fund all purchases so she has no grounds for complaint here.....

luckily the bike gear is relatively cheap compared to home cinema gear. that's my saving grace

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my wife's interest is in horseriding. for anyone whose partner balks at the cost of bikes, just get them interested in horseriding. they'll never be able to complain about the cost of bikes again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

CLufcnoWUAA-VOg.jpg

Might require a little saving, but the guys in Hang Tough by Portobello do a really good job with this kind of thing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Raam wrote: »
    Indeed. Treat yourself, if you can afford it and if you want to. Nothing wrong with that. No need to feel guilty about it. If someone gives you grief after that... well why don't they want you to be happy?

My brother in-law spent €2k on a 2nd hand mountain bike recently. Once my wife heard her immediate response was that I should buy a new bike. Score! Of course I told her it would be at least €2.5k as no way was I going 2nd hand... ;)

smacl wrote: »
    My brother in-law spent €2k on a 2nd hand mountain bike recently. Once my wife heard her immediate response was that I should buy a new bike. Score! Of course I told her it would be at least €2.5k as no way was I going 2nd hand... ;)

Your wife should start a support group for other wives to help them understand...

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭oakley2097

When the support group starts can someone forward me details

the otherhalf doesn't understand why a new bike need new wheels :(

oakley2097 wrote: »

That's her problem, not yours.

Yes, but I do have to live with her

The DA C50s are perfect for the propel...

Yes, but I do have to live with her

The DA C50s are perfect for the propel...

It's cool. Raam doesn't reapect his wife or her opinions. His world is different to yours!

She did agree to buy new shoes for the my bday - Black R171s :) so she cant be that bad

When the support group starts can someone forward me details

she's a woman. she has either got multiple shoes, or multiple handbags. tell her when your # of bikes or # of wheelsets exceeds her # of bags she can complain...

she's a woman. she has either got multiple shoes, or multiple handbags. tell her when your # of bikes or # of wheelsets exceeds her # of bags she can complain...

Have you just the one pair of shoes?

• Advertisement

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Have you just the one pair of shoes?

Relative to how many pairs my wife has, then yes.

I don't even know where to start...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

If she has more wheelsets than you, you're probably winning at life.

Shoes and bags are useless unless they're cycling specific.

If she has more wheelsets than you, you're probably winning at life.

Shoes and bags are useless unless they're cycling specific.

The biggest consideration is are ye the same size so you can steal all new things for your own use :P*

On a side note unless it's coming out of your family's mouths why does it matter how you spend your money?

*An ex of mine bought a nicer bike than I had at the time on his bike to work scheme, and hardly ever rode it. So I used to take it out for spins when he was out. :cool: :eek:

*An ex of mine bought a nicer bike than I had at the time on his bike to work scheme, and hardly ever rode it. So I used to take it out for spins when he was out. :cool: :eek:

This is pure evil :)

omri wrote: »
    This is pure evil :)

He never even knew! (I did tell him later) And it made the bike so happy. That's the important thing, they get very depressed if they don't get out and about. It was a charitable act :P

The biggest consideration is are ye the same size so you can steal all new things for your own use :P*

On a side note unless it's coming out of your family's mouths why does it matter how you spend your money?

I used to do that with my brother's bike. Used to. Yes that's right. Good thing he ain't on here!

I used to do that with my brother's bike. Used to. Yes that's right. Good thing he ain't on here!

Your secret is safe here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

And screen grab for tomorrow night. Assuming he's ever allowed out again

• Advertisement

probably best not to

it was in the tone of the rest of the messages, firmly tongue in cheek. however it wasn't meant to offend, so i've deleted it.

i did show it to my wife before i deleted it though and the response was ah FFS what's the big deal.

Advertisement