Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

civic engine noise query...

• 28-05-2009 5:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭

i have a 99 civic saloon model... when i have the car in gear and i press the accelerator it makes this grinding noise its not that loud or noticable but i was wondering what it might be? it doesnt do anythin to effect the cars performance but its annoying me...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

I’m no expert but id say it’s the gearbox or clutch giving out a death rattle , I’d call the local garage and ask whether it is a good idea to drive it in to them or do you need to have it towed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I’m no expert but id say it’s the gearbox or clutch giving out a death rattle , I’d call the local garage and ask whether it is a good idea to drive it in to them or do you need to have it towed

its not really rattling though... it just sounds like its scraping off somethin if you get me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Probably a gearbox bearing split/on the way out , causing the gears to make a grinding noise.

What i've seen happen before :

Bearings are usually standard sizes (have size numbers like 6205 etc) , but Honda etc often get them to slightly odd sizes ( because they buy so many /can make them / that size suits better)

The 1st bearing on the way in to the gearbox was say

31mm inside 60mm outside , a "standard" bearing might be 30mm/60mm

probably because inside race was 1mm thinner , it split up the centre (it looked very thin)

Since it was a JDM car , couldn't get the bearing in time , so just ripped 1mm off the shaft to take a standard ( good quality) bearing.

It was "caught " immediately after it happened, sorted, and continued on to starship enterprise mileage

If you kept driving it after the noise started , the gears might be damaged.

am i looking at much to get it fixed?

anywhere you'd recommend in dublin to get it looked at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Your explanation of the noise is too vague to really diagnose it

when you say you put it in gear and press the accelerator do you mean you have the clutch pressed and your actually revving the car without it moving or are you actually driving the car when the noise occurs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

If it sounds abrasive it's probably what bushy said: a worn bearing. If it is, I wouldn't worry about it other than checking that the gearbox has enough oil. I had worn bearings in gearboxes before and they were still worn 60k miles later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭ji

Gearbox its a common problem in the civics quickest and cheapest option is to change the gearbox..

draffodx wrote: »
    Your explanation of the noise is too vague to really diagnose it

when you say you put it in gear and press the accelerator do you mean you have the clutch pressed and your actually revving the car without it moving or are you actually driving the car when the noise occurs?

sorry dude... the car is actually moving when it happens. How would i go about doing the oil in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

DrumSteve wrote: »
    sorry dude... the car is actually moving when it happens. How would i go about doing the oil in it?

Is the noise there with the car in neutral and your foot off the clutch?

The gearbox has an oil filler hole half way up the side of it, sealed with a bolt similar to the sump oil drain bolt. This needs to be taken out and the oil level should be up as high as the hole. It's gearbox oil. I wouldn't recommend you do it yourself unless you're used to servicing your car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭ji

DrumSteve wrote: »

Hi to put oil in gearbox look down on top of gearbox you'll see a allen key stub thats where you fill the oil and down on the left hand side you'll see another stub remove this one too and fill in the top one till it pours out the one on the side..good luck...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

I'd be surprised if there is a gear box trouble. Look for the simple problem first not the hard ones like a gear box. I had similar noise, but once you mention the word grind, immediatley you think gear box.

More likely its an exhaust that is vibrating or a worn bushing that when it vibrates when the engine vibrates at the same frequency.

Try driving down the road, press the clutch and see if the rattle stops. Even if it does, it doesn't mean that it is a gearbox problem. Trying to detect where sound comes from in Car is difficult. But look for the easy solution first.

Advertisement