Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

166 opinions (is it a Sportivo?)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Miles are pretty high, have a look at this one maybe?
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Alfa-Romeo/166/sportron/200921192881130/advert?channel=CARS

Other than that, from what i can see in the pics it looks nice.
    As always with an alfa though, i'd be looking at the service history fairly lively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Nice innit? I had my eye on that too but with the times that are in in every extra €100 hurts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

CianRyan wrote: »
    Miles are pretty high, have a look at this one maybe?
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Alfa-Romeo/166/sportron/200921192881130/advert?channel=CARS

Other than that, from what i can see in the pics it looks nice.
    As always with an alfa though, i'd be looking at the service history fairly lively.

I don't see much of a difference between a 2003 that has covered 69k miles and a 2001 that has covered 84k miles. Both have average mileage for their respective years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Wow. That is a really nice example.

As to the trim spec, if you get the chassis number, maybe an Alfa dealer (maybe try calling one of the garages in the service history?) will tell you, or, one of the UK dealers registered on alfaowner. I never know with Alfas!

It seems like good enough value when compared to what Veloces in London are selling at the moment.

P.S. Was the car imported to sell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Both cars look like great value. I'm not sure but there is one engine variant to be avoided, sorry i cannot remember which one, but I suspect that it is the 2.5. I think that I read it on here somewhere so try a search on here or one of the Alfa owners sites.
    It's not that the engine is bad, but more that the other engine is so much better.
    A lot of car for that money tho.
    As Jeremy Clarkson once said, the 166 has soul. I love those cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'd go for the 3l auto too. My best mate bought one recently for when he's not driving his 3l GTV :)

It's crucial to get a good one though that has been properly maintained since new. One of the best value second hand luxury saloons around imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Two thumbs up from me anyhow.

Foot in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭kyote00

The V6 unit in that is one of the all time classic alfa engines - and I think the last alfa v6 (159 uses a GM unit if I'm not mistaken)

The sound of this engine is fantastic and will 'poodle' nicely at low speed

One thing to note is that the v6's are obviously heavier than the smaller engines and therefore are more punishing on front wishbones & anti roll bar --- even at the relativity small mileage, i make sure its checked out fully.

I have a 2.5 156 since 1999 and have done about 130k miles on it. The only extra work it has needed was the wishbones. I will never sell it as even after 10 ten years, the engine sound with windows down still gives me a semi....:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

kyote00 wrote: »

I have a 2.5 156 since 1999 and have done about 130k miles on it. The only extra work it has needed was the wishbones. I will never sell it as even after 10 ten years, the engine sound with windows down still gives me a semi....:p

when you do and you will, give me a shout...!!!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

9am

“what exactly do you mean by FSH- I mean is it comprehensive or are there holes. What about NCT. When were the belts done?”
    “err- there’s a folder of stuff here but I don’t know about belts. He hasn’t dropped the service book in yet- I’ll ring him. It has 3 months NCT. ”

12:50

“have you news on the belts and FSH?”
    “err- can’t get a hold of him” { FFS, now’s not the time to be looking for service books- if you can believe what he’s telling you }
    “time is of the essence- I need to make plans”
    “nothing I can do”

3:10

“Really no word yet?- I can’t plan a 500km round trip for the morning if I can’t be sure about it’s FSH”
    “errrr- it's sold. A fella came and bought it a while ago”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

in my experience Sarsfield are total messers. Would never ever buy a car off them.

Your experience above is unsuprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I had a 99 166 2.0. It cost abit to keep on the road even though it had a verified 40k miles when I bought it in 2003. The big problem to me was that everything seemed to cost a fortune. It was hard to get any part anywhere except the main dealer and they werent helpful either.
    Wheel bearing replacement required a €270 part not just the bearing. Everything was like this with the car. No anti roll bar bushes available. Complete bar to be bought (For the rear at least)
    It also tended to bang the sump off the road regularily which in the end caused major damage.
    Saying that though, it was a lovely car, very comfortable and a nice drive. Well fitted out with the ICS system which is miles ahead of some of the stuff offered in new cars today. Brilliant lights too compared to german cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

show me another car of that style, comfort and equipment that you can get for that money. They are an absolute bargain barge and well worth it if thats what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

cantdecide wrote: »
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Alfa-Romeo/166/2.5-V6-A/200921192880101/advert?channel=CARS

UK car. Comprehensive service history, "Car can't be faulted" apparently

I think a lad on Octane owned that car. In fact, I'm sure he did. You should post it up there and find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

OP I want you to be my bodygaurd because you're the bravest man I know...fantastic car but you've got bigger balls than me thats for sure. Enjoy her if you buy:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Jaysus, pity it's sold. I think you could of been asking one too many questions for their liking.

Surely there are a few enthusiasts with those cars that have looked after them well that you could buy from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭pcardin

I have a 166 2.0 TS Cuore Sportivo 2003 with 6speed manual. I wasn't thinking of selling but if someone is interested...

Advertisement