Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAs Boiler water pressure drops off after about a week. problem

Options
  • 28-05-2009 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Having a wee problem with our gas boiler. The water pressure gauge on the front was reading zero. Was speaking to an engineer who told me that i just needed to top up the boiler with water. There's a stopcock in our hot press to do this. I opened it and allowed water into the system. No change to the gauge.. he said he'd have to pop round. When he finished he said he recharged the expansion vessel .The gauge was reading 1 bar.

This was fine for about 3 days untill i checked the gauge again and it was back at zero. he told me to open the stopcock and allow more water into the system again.. this didn't work. still at zero. Anybody any ideas what could be wrong. the heating is working fine..

Cheers
    D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Having a wee problem with our gas boiler. The water pressure gauge on the front was reading zero. Was speaking to an engineer who told me that i just needed to top up the boiler with water. There's a stopcock in our hot press to do this. I opened it and allowed water into the system. No change to the gauge.. he said he'd have to pop round. When he finished he said he recharged the expansion vessel .The gauge was reading 1 bar.

This was fine for about 3 days untill i checked the gauge again and it was back at zero. he told me to open the stopcock and allow more water into the system again.. this didn't work. still at zero. Anybody any ideas what could be wrong. the heating is working fine..

Cheers
    D.

Whilst it's a "good thing" that an expansion vessel be maintained (the expansion vessel is basically an air-filled bladder inside a metal container. In use, it deflates over time and needs topping up - much like your car tyres) you don't need it recharged in order to build up pressure in your system.

If you leave the stopcock open you should build up pressure (unless you have a massive leak somewhere). How long are you opening it for? And how much are you opening it by. Are you sure this is the right valve for filling the system?

In any case: 1 Bar is a good operating pressure and to loose it over the course of a few days means a leak somewhere (either in the water side of the system or out of that bladder).

• Registered Users Posts: 44 donkeykonky

Hi.

I left it open for half an hour or so with no change to the pressure gauge. Its the correct stopcock alright too. Another thing to mention is that the boiler is upstairs in the house and the filling loop is fed from the attic tank so maybe there's not enough of a head to repressurise the boiler..

Cheers.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭qc3

Hi.

I left it open for half an hour or so with no change to the pressure gauge. Its the correct stopcock alright too. Another thing to mention is that the boiler is upstairs in the house and the filling loop is fed from the attic tank so maybe there's not enough of a head to repressurise the boiler..

Cheers.

D.
    have had the same problem for 10 year since i bought the house,the problem being that the piping is qualplex and we have a sealed system installed,build pressure up and a few days later it is at zero. our plummer advised to change from a sealed system to a header tank in the attic that allows the water to flow with gravity.be careful not to have too much pressure as it can damage your boiler .ps.a lot of our neighbours have the same problem..

Advertisement