Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Humongous skid

• 28-05-2009 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭

Had the most humongous rear wheel skid in the last wet patch turning right on to north quays from heuston station direction. riding a 125 scooter. Just wondering if upgrading to a bike (bandit or something) would be less prone to skids? Scooters great for traffic but have eaten pavement twice in a year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Scooters with their small wheels and no frame/tank between your knees to hold on to are a bit prone to shakyness and skidding, a bike would be a tad more stable. However the extra power on the rear wheel usually negates that advantage pretty quickly in wet/slippery conditions.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Drive slower!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

The little wheels on the scooters cant be good at all. Id crap meself on one.
    If its only a skid I wouldnt worry bout it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Enjoy the ride I say! Yeah you'd probably be better off on the bike - more control over usable power and larger surface area on the ground. Either way, you gotta take it handy, I know the bend your talking about and it's dangerous enough as it is with idiot drivers not yielding as they come from the phoenix park direction.

Best advice is, when its wet, slow down. Leave for work earlier, and don't give a donkey's if you're holding up a bit of impatient traffic - they should have left earlier! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

peasant wrote: »
    Scooters with their small wheels and no frame/tank between your knees to hold on to are a bit prone to shakyness and skidding

For you, fresh from the design crew @ The Department of Nervousness ,

Now you can attach yourself securely before your next ride with the help of

The "OH CR@P! STRAP"

rachet.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

where can I get me one of those straps...with girl attached :D.

Was taking it handy and wasn't breaking turning so am a bit of a loss for the skid (maybe build up of oil or something). anyway, has anyone made the transition from scooter to bike? and if so ... is it an easy transition)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

reece wrote: »
    has anyone made the transition from scooter to bike? and if so ... is it an easy transition)

I have no idea how easy it will or won't be, but

you learnt how to ride a scooter, so why can't you learn how to ride a geared bike.

A few leasons would be a good start.

Go for it, you know you want to. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OP a scooter won't have the power to allow you to power slid, infact most people wouldn't have a clue how to power slid even the most powerful of bikes.

So most likely you rode over a slippery surface, on a bike or scooter you will most likely have experienced the same slide.

There's a nack to sliding, its great craic once you've mastered it but 99% of rider's will **** themselves and either shut off the power & cause a high slide, open it wide and end up on their ass or opposite lock, give the outside peg a little pressure and wind on the power and enjoy the ride (power slide) :D

Advertisement