Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting out question.

• 28-05-2009 9:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

I was wondering when i get my first provisional driving license (which is gonna be the first time after i'm off for summer in two weeks time), am i allowed to drive around on my own or do i need to have someone beside me?
    Cuz if i'm not allowed to drive around on my own, then how the heck am i supposed to get better?

Also i was wondering if anyone of ye know a good car i could get for around a grand. Something that wouldn't give my any troubles and such. I herd VW Golfs and Polos are pretty reliable and something like Opel Corsa looks good too. But if you were to recommend me a cheap used car, what would you say i should go for??

And finally, how much do you reckon insurance for me would be on such a car worth around a grand. I'm 21 (will be 22 soon)... I tried the online quote websites but they all ask wayy too many questions...

I would love it if i can manage to get a car and insurance for under 1.5k to 2k eur...
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Best of luck! Be safe.

On a Learner's Permit you must be accompanied by a driver who has held a full license for two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Best of luck! Be safe.

On a Learner's Permit you must be accompanied by a driver who has held a full license for two years.
    Cheers...

So i can't drive anywhere around without having someone with a full license besides me? Whats the point of getting the car then?
    There's like only one person in my family who's got a full license...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Probably best to learn to drive first, then get the car. Insurance should be considerably lower, leaving you more to spend on the car.

Probably best to learn to drive first, then get the car. Insurance should be considerably lower, leaving you more to spend on the car.

I kinda know how to drive fine - don't ask details - just need a car to get on the road for cheap so i can drive around to improve my skill and pass the driving test...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

As the others have said instead of buying a car it may be better to use some of the money to get some driving lessons and if possible get insured as a named driver on parents/brothers/sisters/friends car to get additional practice.

You are unlikely to be able to purchase a car and insure it for under 2K, the insurance alone on a first Learner Permit will be over 1K usually. Dont forget there will also be tax, petrol and maintenance costs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭mikkael

So far as I know you have to be accompanied. VW's tend to be driven hard. My first car was a VW and it had a fault which 2 grand and umpteen trips to the dealers couldn't fix. Eventually it went on fire. Obviously I was unlucky, 'cause lots of people don't have that experience with VW's, but anything falling into the 1k. category VW - wise I would personally avoid.

At 1k. you still have lots of choice though. A late '90's Fiesta should be possible, if not 00. There are a plethora of Micras out there ... the choice is pretty vast. One important thing to check is that the timing belt has been done ... a rubber band that holds the engine together lol. If that goes you're in trouble.

Bigger cars also offer great value. After my Volks went on fire ( it was a 1.4 ) I was looking at a Volvo 460. The Volvo was 1.7 and it was 50 euro cheaper on insurance ( and I was a learner! ). I got that car for 400 euro when it was 10 years old ( and 8 years on I still have it ). Do a lot of checking around, and check out http://www.carsurvey.org

That site is brilliant, you get a sort of ebay style feedback from owners of every model under the sun. Avoid main dealers for servicing and find a good local mechanic yourself, or you'll pay more than the car cost on your first visit :)

Best of luck,

Tony:)

Cheers for the advice guys.

I'm not really very keen on getting a car yet cuz like everyone else i'm very stripped for cash myself.

But with the prices of cars falling, I thought it'ld be cool if i can manage to get one on the road for under 2 grand.

If I can't, then i'll probably not bother and stick with the motorbike.
    Save up and buy a nice decent car sometime later... In the meantime maybe i could borrow my sis's car or something at times... :p

But it'ld still be cool if i could manage to get a car for under, maybe around 2 grand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭mikkael

Each to their own, but I'd not buy a 'pride and joy' car starting off. At least with an old cheapo starter car you're not going to be devastated if it gets a knock or a scrape. Believe me, I had plenty starting off and most people do. I'd get the experience in a less than grand motor, then start climbing the ladder.

Again my personal sentiments entirely, but I wouldn't get on a motorbike if I was paid. There are so many loons out there that I just wouldn't feel safe. I happened upon an accident some years ago where a motorcyclist was killed at a roundabout. He was known to be uber-safety conscious, but a car failed to stop. No matter how careful you are, your life is also in the hands of others.

Best of luck,

Tony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Yup, i was thinking if i could get some decent banger for like around 1k and insurance on top of that of around 1k, that would be fine i'ld say...

But if i can't drive alone after getting my first provisional, i think i'll just get the license first and drive around my sis's car with her till i pass my driving test and get a full license and then i'll buy a car that i can drive around on my own...

About the motorbike question, well, i'v'e thought long and hard about it and i've made the decision so i guess each to their own.
    I do like motorbikes, the whole feel of them and such. And they're a lot cheaper to run than cars, especially during these recession times. They get you to your destination faster too...and you don't need to pay for parking. Risk of killing yourself might be a little pay off for the benefits... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Yup, i was thinking if i could get some decent banger for like around 1k and insurance on top of that of around 1k, that would be fine i'ld say...

But if i can't drive alone after getting my first provisional, i think i'll just get the license first and drive around my sis's car with her till i pass my driving test and get a full license and then i'll buy a car that i can drive around on my own...

About the motorbike question, well, i'v'e thought long and hard about it and i've made the decision so i guess each to their own.
    I do like motorbikes, the whole feel of them and such. And they're a lot cheaper to run than cars, especially during these recession times. They get you to your destination faster too...and you don't need to pay for parking. Risk of killing yourself might be a little pay off for the benefits... :pac:

I would think insurance will be more than 1000, 21 year old male(i presume) on first learner permit living in dublin.

What engine size are ya looking at?! Pick a random car with maybe 1l/1.2l and get a quote on quinn direct just to see what it is.

I just did a random quote there for your details using my car (2000 1.4 citroen xsara) and it came back at €2423.14 for third party fire and theft. Now add tax of €333 and thats running costs before driving anywhere of €2756 per year.

If ya'd be wanting comprehensive on that itd be €7542 :eek:

timmywex wrote: »
    I would think insurance will be more than 1000, 21 year old male(i presume) on first learner permit living in dublin.

What engine size are ya looking at?! Pick a random car with maybe 1l/1.2l and get a quote on quinn direct just to see what it is.

I just did a random quote there for your details using my car (2000 1.4 citroen xsara) and it came back at €2423.14 for third party fire and theft. Now add tax of €333 and thats running costs before driving anywhere of €2756 per year.

If ya'd be wanting comprehensive on that itd be €7542 :eek:

Nah, just a small car. Around 1l.
    Something like a Polo, Clio, Corsa. Around 10yrs old i could get for under a grand.

But i think i'll drop it. I'll just drive around my sis's car till i get better and do my driving test.
    Once i've got my full license, i'll also have some more money saved up to buy a more decent car and the insurance guys won't kill me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

But i think i'll drop it. I'll just drive around my sis's car till i get better and do my driving test.
    Once i've got my full license, i'll also have some more money saved up to buy a more decent car and the insurance guys won't kill me.

Being added as a named driver on your sister's insurance will be relatively cheap. Get the experience and the license and then your own insurance will be much cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Get some experience under your belt before you buy a car. Hardly any point having your own car if you can't go anywhere unaccompanied :p

Advertisement