Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Water Spaniel [advice needed]

Options
  • 28-05-2009 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking after my mate's IWS while he's away for a few nights. The dog knows me really well and usually displays no angst etc around me.

When I brought him into the house last night he immediately began to show what I can only describe as insanity.... He's been legging it round my house all night and today. I've brought him for a walk and played Frisbee with him for 2+ hours and he's still belting it up & down the hall.

I had to put my own dog (Border Collie) outside because he was freaking him out so much.

I've rang my mate and he says he's never seen him act like this before.

I'm assuming it's some sort of separation anxiety but am clueless as to how to deal with it.

Any help appreciated. =)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

That's bizarre isn't it?!!!!
    You sure it's not excitement at spending a few days with Uncle URL????:D
    Is there any chance he ingested some sort of medication?

Try taking him by the collar and sitting down- with you holding his collar he can't take off....and just sit there paying no attention to him (watch tv or something) til he calms enough to lie down at your feet, then let go; he might stay put...

If he's still doing thast tomorrow I'd be getting worried.... it's very strange behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

That's bizarre isn't it?!!!!
    You sure it's not excitement at spending a few days with Uncle URL????:D
    Is there any chance he ingested some sort of medication?

Try taking him by the collar and sitting down- with you holding his collar he can't take off....and just sit there paying no attention to him (watch tv or something) til he calms enough to lie down at your feet, then let go; he might stay put...

If he's still doing thast tomorrow I'd be getting worried.... it's very strange behaviour.

lol, it sure is bizarre. It could be over excitement though, when I sit with him he's fine.

He's calmed down a bit now but still roaming around the house. If I put him in a room with the door closed he goes mad.

It could be the scent of my cat that's making him edgy but I haven't a clue at all tbh

Hopefully he'll remain settled through the night..

It's a crazy breed of dog too, his names Bob. I can't stop giggling at that =D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

I'm sorry, I can't offer any advice. Just wanted you to kno you made me laugh, I can't find my smileys. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 callaghanjp

Got a collie cavaliar cross pup and she does the same when I take her to the house I'm building at the mo....goes mad running from one room to the other only thing is she's thoroughly enjoying herself....think its the dust that gets her going!!

Advertisement