Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck In A Microsoft World

Options
  • 28-05-2009 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Help! I'm a Microsoft.net web developer (i.e. C#/ASP.net) and i think I'm trapped working for a philosophy that's holding back the frontier of internet programming. IE is crap! I want to get away from it all. I want to develop standards based applications towards the future. How can I do it? I want to develop on the Google/Android/Wave platform (or something equally future facing). The problem is that I can't afford to just start at the bottom of the ladder again. I'm experienced in MS technologies. How can I leverage that experience to work on a REAL platform!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,493 ✭✭✭corkie

Microsoft.net web developer (i.e. C#/ASP.net):

If you have been employed in that a sector, and have Certificates. Your knowledge base and experienced gained would be more value than certificates alone. So you won't be starting from scratch, you could re-train and expand your knowledge base.

If your strong at C# programming, one of the harder programming languages to learn. You should be able pick up other languages quickly.
    How can I leverage that experience to work on a REAL platform!?
    Could you expand on what you mean here?
    The popular platform of today, may not be the same a year or two from now.

Regards,
    J.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Help! I'm a Microsoft.net web developer (i.e. C#/ASP.net) and i think I'm trapped working for a philosophy that's holding back the frontier of internet programming. IE is crap! I want to get away from it all. I want to develop standards based applications towards the future. How can I do it? I want to develop on the Google/Android/Wave platform (or something equally future facing). The problem is that I can't afford to just start at the bottom of the ladder again. I'm experienced in MS technologies. How can I leverage that experience to work on a REAL platform!?

I'm a .net developer and only use IE to check that my web apps work & look ok in that browser.

I see no relation between the .net framework and IE other than they are both M$ technologies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

silverlight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

OP I am thinking you must be only doing corporate intranets or internal access only projects.

Anyone I know doing publically accessible stuff tests on a multitude of browsers and also tends to be stricter with the compliance to standards.

Internal stuff means you have full control over your environment and browser lists.. so you can shortcut it if required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

I smell a troll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Well both Wave and the GoogleApp engine support Java, the transition from C# to Java is minimal. If Google dev is where you want to go then go the Java route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

Open source is the way to go. I would recommend PHP. It's easy to pick up and has a decent learning curve and it's very widely used (Wordpress, Facebook Apps) and it has become much more powerful since the release of version 5. With your programming skills you will hit the ground running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭lucideer

PHP, simple as. Stellar support (even IIS comes with PHP support now) open source, and probably the most openly and comrehensively documented modern server-side language there is. Very easy to learn, particularly if you're coming from an OOP background to php5+ (or even php6 :eek: )

Advertisement