Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting near Smithfield

Options
  • 28-05-2009 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking at renting an apartment near Smithfield, in the blocks opposite Chartered Medical Clinic. The property agent also indicates that a flat may be available at a block just down the road at Grangegorman street.

Also I have a car and was told that street parking should be safe.

Does anyone know how this area is? Where in general is a good place to rent in Smithfield?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

There are so many apartment blocks in the area it would be hard to recommend one against the other as the flats within vary too. I'd personally avoid the Zoe built ones (mid '90 red brick) as they can be boxey throughout but in saying that one can be pleasantly surprised too. The area is brilliant. It's central and fun with enough going on around the area too.
    But one thing's for sure...YOUR CAR IS NOT SAFE if you live in a apartment block and park your car on the street. Of all the areas in Dublin where this crime is still rife...it's here.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭tintar

How are the streets in the evening after dark, have you seen or heard of any incidents with gangs in hoodies or on bikes?

Is there a noticeable garda prescence in the area?

Thanks for the caution on the street parking, I guess I'll have to rent a car spot nearby in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

There's always a few young wans hanging around Smithfield Plaza but it's generally a decent area. Look out for the sh*te around the place after the horse fair every month though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Horse fair?
    What day does this take place? What times?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

doolox wrote: »
    Horse fair?
    What day does this take place? What times?

It's on the first Sunday of every month, between 12 noon and 2pm..
    I have lived in Smithfield for the last year or so, the apartments over and around Fresh supermarket are only 3 yrs old I think, very nice.
    It's as safe as anywhere in Dublin, the odd group of winos/homeless hang around the square, harmless, they keep to themselves.
    The odd junkie too, but they keep to themselves too.
    It's very quiet at night and weekends, safest way to walk to and from the city centre is down the Luas tracks.
    Bridewell pig shop is only around the corner, so there is often some of them in Fresh getting food, often foot/bike/car patrols in the area too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement