Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT camera shy!

Options
  • 28-05-2009 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I have been reading some true horror stories about the NCT lately, thought I'd add mine. Went out to Deansgrange for my test a couple of months ago. Foreign chap jumps in, and proceeds to stall the car 4 times before he even gets it into the centre (I won't keep saying 'foreign national' - everyone involved was foreign)

His colleagues were laughing at him so he seemed to lose his temper with my car. He revved the living bejaysus out of it time and again. He definately red-lined it. Then it came to checking the boot. He tried to put my Saab key into the boot lock ( it's a Volvo - both on the same ring ) and when he eventually got the right one he couldn't open the boot. He then began bouncing the back of the car up and down on the key!

As a "goodwill gesture" the NCTS people decided to give me a free full retest ( said operative had marked a rake of things that were fine as being 'FAIL', including the boot lock. I opened the boot for him when the test was over ).

Fast forward to yesterday. I was cheesed off at having to go to get what should have been done the first time done. I brought my camera and asked the operative outside if I could take some footage of my car inside. He didn't see a problem. I was determined to get something out of the experience.

All went fine until the test was over. No one in the observation area had a problem with what I was at - filming my car ( run of the mill digital cam. with iffy quality video function ). Eventually an African guy in NCT garb comes over and starts going "you can't do that! You can't do that here!". His manner wasn't very pleasant. In fact I think he was trying to be intimidating.

I pointed out that I had spoken with a guy about it already, that generally anything happening in a public area is okay, and there were no signs of any description indicating that it was prohibited. His responses were "I don't care" "It doesn't matter" and "We don't need signs".

He then refused to give me his name at the counter, and basically caused a scene, insisting that I see the manager ( very loudly ). He basically burst in to the manager's office. It was a sight to behold. The manager was a nice guy, but not terribly interested, and obviously not terribly respected. Staff only act like that when they know they'll get away with it.

I've been turning this over and over in my mind. Apparently a customer 'complained' about me, but I doubt that. It became an issue when the test was over, and the mechanics had left the bays. At a guess I would say that people identification might have been a bigger issue than vehicles. Naturally I'm not stupid enough to film reg. plates, and everyone present could see that.

This guy had the manners of a pig's backside. Following several fob - offs, the last reply from the NCT was "We have no further comment". As far as I am concerned, the bottom has fallen out of their service. It's clear to me that there's something dodgy about some of the people they employ, and I suspect that some may not check out fully. Certainly the idiot who lambasted me in front of other customers would do great in security, in a hut in the middle of a field. I am outraged that someone as ignorant as that be inflicted on customers.

Clearly the NCT is coasting at the moment. They know that the contract is ending in 6 months or so. And indeed what have the dildo's in the RSA done? - awarded another 10 year contract to a rival firm. It's such an obvious no - brainer. Contracts should be awarded for no longer than 3 to keep them on their toes and stop this happening.

I had to laugh reading some of the posts on boards citing replies from the RSA. They just copy and paste stuff most of the time. I'd love to get the contact details for management of the NCT, if anyone could PM same to me. Motorists in this country certainly get a raw deal.

Cheers,

Tony.

I've had a ________ experience when doing my NCT 58 votes

good
    0% 0 votes
    bad
    100% 58 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭10-10-20

In relation to the employee who came over to you - it could just be his natural tone and composure. I've found some people from Africa, Nigeria specifically, difficult to gauge initially and somewhat forceful in manner. They can seem abrupt and bothered.

It's really your call as to what you do with the video. You have the option of posting it on YouTube - you got permission to take it after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Would you like to be filmed in your place of work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭mikkael

10-10-20 wrote: »
    In relation to the employee who came over to you - it could just be his natural tone and composure. I've found some people from Africa, Nigeria specifically, difficult to gauge initially and somewhat forceful in manner. They can seem abrupt and bothered.

It's really your call as to what you do with the video. You have the option of posting it on YouTube - you got permission to take it after all.

Fair observation, but people from other cultures should be forced to deal with people according to our culture - I'd expect nothing less if I went to another country. I'd get with the program or leave.

CosmoK - I take your point but I did ask beforehand. At least with a public viewing area I would have expected them to have a sign up, especially as they admitted to having "problems with this" before

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

mikkael wrote: »
    He revved the living bejaysus out of it time and again. He definately red-lined it..

Isn't this not part of the test? is yours a diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

good on you buddy fook them all they do is reck cars i've seen cars go in perfect and then come out worse ,
    idiots with attitude

• Advertisement

Had my NCT last week found them to be professional and courteous,couldn't fault them,i had a few questions about a few aspects of the test afterwards and the guy actually brought me into the workshop and showed me how certain things worked,top marks from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

tossy wrote: »
    Had my NCT last week found them to be professional and courteous,couldn't fault them,i had a few questions about a few aspects of the test afterwards and the guy actually brought me into the workshop and showed me how certain things worked,top marks from me.

+1
    guess it depends which centre you go to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

+1 Found them to be very informative and friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

pred racer wrote: »
    +1
    guess it depends which centre you go to.
    Or possibly which actual employee? I used Deansgrange myself this week, couldn't fault them.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Cosmo K wrote: »
    Would you like to be filmed in your place of work?
    Isn't there cameras within the centre anyway?

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote: »
    Isn't there cameras within the centre anyway?

Nope.

Some centers might have CCTV cameras in the reception area, but there are no cameras on the the test lanes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Just for curiousity, I've added a poll.

If you've had a PERSONAL experience of using the NCT service in the last few years, please pick an option.
    If you haven't PERSONALLY used the service, please don't respond.

It's common to hear horror stories on the interweb, far fewer people come on to praise a service/supplier than those who come on to slate the same service/supplier.
    Let's see what the "stats" are... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Bein very lucky, few cars i've brought when they've failed,

the lad doing the test had bein very helpful.

Guess its the luck of the draw, what tester you get and the humour he's

in!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

-Chris- wrote: »
    Just for curiousity, I've added a poll.

If you've had a PERSONAL experience of using the NCT service in the last few years, please pick an option.

Took her car in to Fonthill this week...

Poorish booking in procedure. Very poor waiting area - ripped seats etc

Car passed - guy was very helpful, pointed out 3 minor flaws that ought to be looked at, but not major.

So all in all good - but because of that one individual (BTW he was foreign :eek::rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Always found the guys friendly and helpful.

AFIK you're not allowed film there without permission (including any customer, worker etc) it's a private building and site.

I failed earlier this year on a couple of things including a headlamp reflector (which isn't visible because of the lens).
    Didn't do anything and it passed the retest on it. When I queried it I was told to drop it and the guy at the hatch became quite defensive about it! He wouldn't give me back the report from the original test either ("Not allowed to give them back")

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

have always found the centres to be pleasant and easy to deal with, have used the ones in Ballymun, Deansgrange and Waterford..
    everytime the staff where very easy to deal with... +1 for me..
    a lot better service than a good few Dealerships service departments I have been in..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

My NCT experience has been 50 /50 really, seems to depend where you go. Fonthill has been nothing but a bad experience i.e hour delay, fails for things that the tester couldnt use rather than an actual fault with the car not to mention his grasp of English wasnt exactly fantastic ( P.S before I get hammered for the foriegner comment its not the being foriegn I have a problem with its when front line staff cant speak English that I have a problem) and best of all no record of my booking. The ruddest man in Ireland used to work in Naas/ Newbridge. Kells on the other hand is super. Never a problem. Infact in one instance when I left a car there in the morning to collect that evening they called me to say a a bulb was gone and just to bring one with me before I collected it. Great stuff.

I failed earlier this year on a couple of things including a headlamp reflector (which isn't visible because of the lens).
    Didn't do anything and it passed the retest on it. When I queried it I was told to drop it and the guy at the hatch became quite defensive about it! He wouldn't give me back the report from the original test either ("Not allowed to give them back")

Thats bad! You should have made a formal complaint, just ask for a complaint form, fill it out, and send it to the NCTS head office in Citywest. I can guarantee you, your complaint will be taken seriuosly, and you will get response.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭annie.t

Saab Ed wrote: »
    ...The ruddest man in Ireland used to work in Naas/ Newbridge...
    I hope his gone now.
    Im having my car tested in two weeks over there :eek:

• Advertisement

Saab Ed wrote: »
    My NCT experience has been 50 /50 really, seems to depend where you go. Fonthill has been nothing but a bad experience i.e hour delay, fails for things that the tester couldnt use rather than an actual fault with the car not to mention his grasp of English wasnt exactly fantastic ( P.S before I get hammered for the foriegner comment its not the being foriegn I have a problem with its when front line staff cant speak English that I have a problem) and best of all no record of my booking. The ruddest man in Ireland used to work in Naas/ Newbridge. Kells on the other hand is super. Never a problem. Infact in one instance when I left a car there in the morning to collect that evening they called me to say a a bulb was gone and just to bring one with me before I collected it. Great stuff.
    I possibly dealt with the 'ruddest' guy when I was re-tested earlier this year :D
    In contrast, my car failed on its headlamp alignemnt in Fonthill less than 24 hours after being given a service and headlamp alignment by Murphy & Gunn. I got quite irate (presuming that they were wrong and showing the detailed invoice from M&G) and the manager to his credit asked me to bring the car around and he showed me the lamp being off. M&G didn't align the lights.
    Thats bad! You should have made a formal complaint, just asked for complaint form, fill it out, and send it to the NCTS head office in Citywest. I can guarantee you, your complaint will be taken seriuosly, and you will get response.
    Cheers - presumably too late now but I'll consider it next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

annie.t wrote: »
    I hope his gone now.
    Im having my car tested in two weeks over there :eek:

Dont worry, he is ...I shot him :D

................only joking

I actually met the rudest man in Ireland he tested my car in Naas last week,boards.ie came up in the conversation and he asked me to apologise to Saab Ed,he said he was having a bad day that day and had no right to take it out on you - i think he was genuine too.

what time were you in Naas NCT center?

what time were you in Naas NCT center?

who?

Isn't this not part of the test? is yours a diesel?

My car is petrol ... sorry didn't explain that too well, he kept revving the guts out of it for nothing, not just during that part of the test. Presumably it doesn't damage the engine, but I wouldn't say that doing it unnecessarily is good for it either.

I think that a few posters have hit the nail on the head ... depends on the centre and / or staff member. Can't say I've had huge problems with foreigners out there, but I get the impression that something's not right in the place. There was a certain gloom hanging over the place when I went in. At a guess, employment standards issue, and that can quickly manifest itself in bad customer service.

As for the particular staff member, I think he had a chip on his shoulder. Again I don't care less about culture, if someone treats me in a manner which is likely to cause embarassment it's up to them to change, not me. Other than said African, I dealt with an African guy there before who could not have been nicer - very, very helpful and courteous. Same with the eastern europeans. Same with the Irish.

Interesting that someone mentioned a dodgy seat. In Deansgrange they have the plastic ones bolted onto a bar. I nearly fell off the one I sat on, because it was loosely secured.

Cheers for the replies,

Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

I possibly dealt with the 'ruddest' guy when I was re-tested earlier this year :D
    In contrast, my car failed on its headlamp alignemnt in Fonthill less than 24 hours after being given a service and headlamp alignment by Murphy & Gunn. I got quite irate (presuming that they were wrong and showing the detailed invoice from M&G) and the manager to his credit asked me to bring the car around and he showed me the lamp being off. M&G didn't align the lights.

Cheers - presumably too late now but I'll consider it next time.

the guy that did my test adjusted them for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

10-10-20 wrote: »

In nigeria its rude to whisper, they talk loud to be polite. <snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I think when your car fails your brain generally will try to find fault with the process which is why people come to boards.ie and similar to vent their anger.

You can see from the results that people are clearly pleased overall with the service but you do not often see threads voicing their appreciation for the NCT.

Although an unpleasant experience for you. All you can do is report it to the NCT centre manager and to the NCT Management company and await a suitable response.

Advertisement