Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The education cutbacks took my job!

• 28-05-2009 11:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

So my principal told me today I have no job to come back to in September :(

I don't know what to do next - there are NO jobs.

Anyone else in a similar situation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Enright

Keep the head up, a lot of people are retiring over the summer, they have until July 31st to inform principals

VECs havent as yet advertised vacant positions, they wont have as many as previous years but dont dispair

Are you correcting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Good luck with the job hunting ,remember June and August are the busiest months for teaching job ads BY FAR so you need to be on the ball from next Tuesday in the search.July normally has almost NO jobs advertised so thats the time to take your 'break'/holiday.Also positions are filled almost literally up to the first day of school starting so keep positive no matter how 'late' it seems although to be honest I wouldnt restrict search to teaching posts .Good luck again ,it goes without saying that other teachers are deeply hurt by their colleagues job losses.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are a lot of fed up older teachers, tired of the ignorant teacher-bashing and the ever-increasing workload and pay cuts/levies/taxes. In many cases, they only need to give their employers a month's notice of retirement. With the possibility of the lump sum being under attack and many people needing it to clear mortgages etc., I'd say this year will be a big year for retirements. Not all of them will be replaced of course, but there should be a fair number of jobs around.

I also believe when the extent of the cuts starts being felt by parents and with the eternal hope of a different government, we might get a reversal of some of the cuts. There is only so much stupidity to go round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Sorry to hear that sitstill. Don't give up just yet. There may not be much out there at the moment, but I'd agree with spurious. Also many schools would get an extra allocation in september with an increased enrolment etc, and some work may turn up. I know with our reduced staff that we are barely able to meet curricular need for next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭freire

Comiserations on the job thing sitstill. I am sure you`ll pick up something - you have the experience which counts for a lot.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Sorry to hear that Sitstill, unfortunately a lot of teachers are in a similar situation. I know some teachers who were let go from my school got jobs in London, Sweeden and Dubai- if that would interest you. Good Luck

Advertisement