Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting out of the rock/blues lead syndrome

• 28-05-2009 11:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

hi all

as it says

i have played for many years
    but am stuck it a rut when it comes to lead guitar

everything i play sounds bluesy
    whether i want it too or not

any tips or scales or advice
    that will shed my blues!

rgds

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Turn the pentatonic scale into the natural minor scale by adding the two relevant notes (still sounds fairly bluesy, but it's a start, and more versatile than the pentatonic). You can still keep your box shapes if you like, although for diatonic scales i'd recommend trying to move from static box-shapes to 3 note-per-string patterns.

Then, if you want you can turn the natural minor scale into the phyrigian minor just by flattening the second note (sounds kind of 'spanish').

Or alternatively, turn the natural minor in the harmonic minor by raising the 7th. You'll definitely have to break out of the box pattern for this, as it results in some unusual patterns from string to string. The intervals lend themselves to some cool licks and patterns that won't sound anything bluesy.

When you're learning any new scales, try to set up a root-note drone so you can kind of get a feel for the tonality of the scale and it's strong or distinctive notes.

To be honest, the best thing is to grab a theory book and start from there, as you really need to know what to do with scales (and when you can use them) to make much use of any of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Here are a few things to consider:

1. Listen to and learn to what other instruments do be it violin, saxophone, a dirty old hammond (really!)

2. Learn CAGED and key theory

3. Learn modality

4. Learn how modality can add flavour to blues and pentatonic scales

5. Try a little bit of jazz

6. Use additional 'note' as Voodu child says from majors, minors and modes in conjunction with some nice phrasing.

Here's one to try:

Instead of using your normal minor blues scale over a progression try a Dorian Minor, its a hybrid that dumps a major sixth in place of a 7th. Stevie Wonder, Rory Gallagher and Robben Ford have been known to partake in this little trick.

A Dorian Blues

7---
    5---7

5--7

4--7

5-6-7
    -5--8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I thought this vid was quite useful to "get out of the box"

Plus it doesn't do any harm that he used to be in Television :rolleyes:
    He has a few other lessons on YouTube - some are good but in some cases he appears to have playing with his chemistry set again :o

Advertisement