Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving with 11 and 8 year old to Sligo

Options
  • 28-05-2009 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

We're moving to Sligo from Dublin this summer with our two kids. Both very daunted by the prospect, although us parents are both from the area, so it's 'going home' in a way (we've been in Dublin for 17 years).

My daughter (11) is really into dancing (jazz, hip-hop) and musical theatre and spends most of her time making up dances with her girlfriends here. I'm trying to find out if there are any good classes available in Sligo for her? She is so worried about moving, something like that could help her settle in.

Our son (8) is more relaxed about the whole thing, and if I can find soccer lessons he'll be happy enough. Not too worried there.

So, any help is appreciated. Here in Dublin, most after-school activities seem to be arranged by the schools themselves or the PTAs. I'm told that in Sligo people make their own arrangements. How can I find out what's on in town?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I moved when I was 11 - I think a dance class is a REALLY good idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

There was a thread on breakdancing a while ago that may be of help!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055501644

Heres a few bits of info re local Summer camps, the Soccer may be useful. :)
    http://www.rollercoaster.ie/mycounty/summer_list.asp?mycounty=Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

What part of town are you moving to?

There's a number of dance classes around, my sisters go to Mary McDonagh which is on Chapel Lane, but I don't have contact numbers for her. She shouldn't be too hard to find though.

As for the little one, there's any number of soccer clubs round the town, I myself am involved with St. Johns in the (Carraroe-Pearse Road area) and we cater from u-8's to u-18's.

If you're moving in the summer, there's Sligo Rovers soccer camps on, which are very reasonably priced and the kids seem to love them (must be the coaches!;)).
    Sligo Rovers are delighted to announce that they will be holding six Soccer Camps on the Showgrounds Astro Turf this Summer. The camps will once again be sponsored by Ireland West Airport Knock and every participant will receive a special limited edition Sligo Rovers jersey. Also the club are pleased to announce that they will be keeping the same prices as last season. The cost for each camp is €50 for one child, €90 for two children from the one family and €120 for three children from the one family. The camps will run from 29th June to the 3rd July, 6th July to the 10th July, 13th July to the 17th July, 20th July to the 24th July, 10th August to the 14th August and the 17th August to the 21st August. These camps are open to boys and girl aged 5 to 15. There will also be a special camp for girls only which will be run in August, further details to be announced in due course.

All participants are asked to bring shin-guards, water, a packed lunch and rain gear. The camps run from 10:30 to 3:30 each day and the club shop will be open throughout the camps. Coaching is provided by Sligo Rovers coaches and players and places are limited and early booking is advisable. Sligo Rovers manager Paul Cook is hoping for a large turnout on the camps:
    "I'd be hoping that as many boys and girls as possible take part on the camps. It's all about the kids enjoying themselves and improving their skills. Who knows we might find the next Conor O'Grady or Rafael Cretaro and that would be great for the club to have more young players coming through the ranks."

Application forms can be downloaded from www.sligorovers.com or be got from the office in the Showgrounds, 071-9171212.

http://www.sligorovers.com/content/view/766/91/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Another new member looking for a dance class?!

How many of them have been banned now? :D

Apologies OP if you are genuine, but this thread has been done many times and usually ends up with the OP being banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 cc99

I don't have a clue why anyone would have been banned for asking about dance classes before? I am certainly genuine with this and many thanks to the very helpful responses from the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

lol, it's a joke cc99.

Somebody who ended up getting banned posted here about dance classes first - but it had nothing to do with that post and actually very little to do with their posts in this forum at all.

So don't worry - you're very welcome to the forum and I don't anticipate you getting into trouble :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Xiney wrote: »
    lol, it's a joke cc99.

Not one of my better ones I'm afraid. :o

Apologies cc99, and welcome to the forum - I'll behave in future.

Ring St Annes/Avalon Centre for dance classes, and Merville about the soccer. Both do really good stuff for kids.

St Annes: 071 9161836 (I googled for the number and got it from one of my old posts here. Must get life ASAP.)

Merville: http://homepage.eircom.net/~mervilleafc/Roll%20Honour_20082009.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 cc99

Thx guys, I'm on the right path. Hubby and I have been talking about moving home for years and now that it's actually happening, it's all a bit daunting. Can't wait though at the same time :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

What part of sligo are you moving to, theres aload of clubs in on the go so would be best suited to where your living or where the kids will be going to school.

Advertisement