Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does anyone like the English accent??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I'm not keen on Jason Statham's accent. But its fun to listen to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

my maths teacher has the coolest english accent ever, south manchester, really soft, but some other accents are really crude

**post 200**

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Some are alright.
    I had the most horrible London accent until I was about 10. Glad it's gone. But glad I don't have a strong Kerry accent either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Jackeenboy

Anybody like the Stoke accent?:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

Ah nice crisp Oxbridge accent, or North London

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Jackeenboy wrote: »
    Anybody like the Stoke accent?:p
    Robbie Williams ? Sure :D

we had a girl from stoke stay in our house 2 years ago .

She was ever so nice to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Portsmouth lasses sound a bit cockney-ey (in a not so bad kind of way) but there is nothing on that island worse than a scouse accent. Welsh accents are not too shabby.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭seanabc

My top three:

1. Donegal
    2. Welsh
    3. English

Also ran: Cork, Kerry and Scottish (chocolate)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Daragh101 wrote: »
    Does anyone like english people in general?????
    some r grand....but most f dem r WAN?ERS
    You can say that about anywhere.

Stop being so stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

English accents i like: Brum/Black Country, Yorkshire (Sheffield in particular), Lancashire, Cheshire, Teeside (Middlesbrough), Cumbria, Hampshire. English accents i dislike: working-class Cockney i.e. Hackney, East Midlands (Nottingham/Derby), Bristol, West Country, the common Scouser accent and of course that mangled tone they blurt out in Geordieland. Hope i've not offended anyone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭like clockwork!

I like the English accent.
    Have to say aswell, that any English people I've ever met were dead on; whether or not they fitted into the chav category.

Awww roi mayt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

It's kind of up in the air because I can actually recognise there is no 1 single English Accent, But aside from the Chav accent I quite like most of them.

Especially the semi-posh female london ones, they give me wood!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭like clockwork!

Especially the semi-posh female london ones, they give me wood!

Bucking telling ya boy!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I've a Donegal-ish London accent now, seems I've got one of the better English accents. Woo!

Does anyone like English? I for one hate it, dispicable language

Well use another one then! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,715 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Depends on where it's from. The most horrid and despicable accent is the Liverpool accent. Not to sound mean to any Liverpool folks, but the accent is deplorable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

Why is this even being discussed? Do you think there is anybody in England discussing the various idiosyncracies of regional dialect in Ireland? Most scummy cockneys/mancs/scousers/geordies I've ever met don't even know what the capital of "Eire" is, never mind tell the difference between a Mayo and a Sligo accent or how a Cork accent is "lovely on a girl". Stop acting like such underdogs and speak ill of the English!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Stop acting like such underdogs and speak ill of the English!
    You are joking aren't you?

I love England, English people and *most* English accents with the exception of the scouser accent.

I went into an English store in Melbourne CBD today called 'Taste of Home' and it was real pleasure hearing an English accent again after a considerable period of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

I find the English accent very sexy on a lady. A mans English accent can have the same effect on me as too much whiskey does, i see red and start singing Fenian songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

No. It's bad. Only the Donegal and some Scottish girls sound sexy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭evogirl

i know a guy from liverpool and i could listen to him forever. can never understand a word he says but thats besides the point lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 BusterGonad

I love the English accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Davidius wrote: »
    I don't like it. It's painful to listen to especially because of the slang.

It took me an age to understand what 'naff' meant. The word 'sod' makes me think of sawdust. I'm still trying to figure out what a berk is.

Playing TF2 on a British server is thus painful. They wonder why I didn't heed their warning of the spy behind me. The answer, I don't know what they're saying most of the time. :(

Naff was invented by Norman Stanley Fletcher i believe, i think it is a great word.

A berk is a bit of an eejit. I think it came from the cockney rhyming slang "Berkley Hunt", ie a bit of a gee!!
    Stop acting like such underdogs and speak ill of the English!
    ironing?
    Caoimhín wrote: »
    I find the English accent very sexy on a lady. A mans English accent can have the same effect on me
    :eek:

I'm not a fan of the brummie accent '' yeah roightt '' but overall I dont think English people give a monkeys what any other people thinks of their accents, except maybe other English people .If somebody says ' they dont like the scouse accent '' you have to remember that just like the Dublin accent , there are variations , some horrible , some pleasent and some just wondeful :)

Latchy wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of the brummie accent '' yeah roightt '' but overall I dont think English people give a monkeys what any other people thinks of their accents, except maybe other English people .If somebody says ' they dont like the scouse accent '' you have to remember that just like the Dublin accent , there are variations , some horrible , some pleasent and some just wondeful :)

hhmmm, the Dublin accent.

it varies from "Whaaaas de staaary buuud" to "It is just so todally feckin awesome roight".

How can anyone love that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

How the fuk do you know "most of dem r ****"? Seriously, this idiocy is really starting to grate...

trust me i no!!!!;)

• Anyone who would judge someone as a 'w@nker' based on their accent is an idiot. Anyone who thinks there IS an 'English accent' is an idiot. How can you lump London, Manchester, Liverpool, Bristol and the billion other accents into one category? I'm sure the people who make these comments would laugh if an English person said Belfast, Dublin and Cork accents were all the same.

it varies from "Whaaaas de staaary buuud" to "It is just so todally feckin awesome roight".

Of course some dubs speak like that but then some people like to exaggerate their accents a bit to ( just to make sure you understand were their coming from ) ;)

I was listeing to rte radio the udder day ( shudder) were this irish / italian girl was speaking about the benifits of eating fish and I could have listened to her all day ,so sweet were the sounds of her vocal chords (sigh) :)

Latchy wrote: »
    Of course some dubs speak like that but then some people like to exaggerate their accents a bit to ( just to make sure you understand were their coming from ) ;)

I was listeing to rte radio the udder day ( shudder) were this irish / italian girl was speaking about the benifits of eating fish and I could have listened to her all day ,so sweet were the sounds of her vocal chords (sigh) :)

TBH, most Dublin accents are OK, and like most English accents sound a lot better when well spoken. A chav london accent is horrible, a well spoken (not posh) London accent is quite nice.

IMHO, this rule applies to pretty much every accent with the exception of Birmingham, no Brum accent can ever sound nice. the opposite however applies to Edinburgh(Although this is about English accents so that wouldn't apply).

i like the Cork accent, which apparantly makes me a bit odd,

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ellade3

I like the liverpool & newcastle accents

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

Ya I myself find the Liverpool accent to be quite sexi,ala Stevie Gerrard :Paright mate!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah, there are some awesome ones. Some annoying ones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

scouse is just a stupid accent i think. I have friends from Somerset and they speak nice, a bit ambrosia-creamed-ricey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Amy33

Yes, apart from the Newcastle accent, no no no...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭f00tball

Yes. Have to agree. Heard a woman on rte say " ya make it soun uncamman wit yer big deshwatery mout on ya".

What the hell does that mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I love the Southampton accent (and their women)

I ****ing hate the Cornwall accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

f00tball wrote: »
    Yes. Have to agree. Heard a woman on rte say " ya make it soun uncamman wit yer big deshwatery mout on ya".

What the hell does that mean?

"Go way ou of it ya gowl wit yer chessy minge on ya"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭f00tball

Went into HMV on Henry Street once. The fella asked did I want a bag.

Couldn't understand what he was saying. I had to ask him to repeat it about three times.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I have friends from Somerset and they speak nice, a bit ambrosia-creamed-ricey!
    '' dey be off to the market ,ooh arrah ....Yuk !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

My favourite is Parminder Nagra or in other words Dr.Neela Rasgotra from ER,dont know why but i just like the sound of her voice:rolleyes:

DarkJager wrote: »
    I love the Southampton accent (and their women).
    Go say ten hail Marys, nine our fathers and then wash your mouth out with sulphuric acid. Never have I heard such an offensive comment on boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Think the liverpool accent is great, cheryl coles newcastle accent is nice and the Hull accent is the worst

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

The Bristol accent drives me mad,(comming from a person who watches Skins)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Girls with the Landaan accent sound a little annoying at times...

But i think english accent can sound cute on girls at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Depends totally on the accent. Cut glass accent a la Keira Knightly does it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I've got a thick brummy accent apparently, bloody smashin :D

Some accents are horrible though - yorkshire, cockney
    But farmer/devon accents make me laugh

How can anyone be taken seriously when they sound like worzel gummidge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

IMHO, this rule applies to pretty much every accent with the exception of Birmingham, no Brum accent can ever sound nice.

:(:(:(

Anyone got a number for elocution lessons?

brummytom wrote: »
    :(:(:(

Anyone got a number for elocution lessons?

Ah roight pet, just take the third exit off the island over yar and its on yore left loike :-))

• Advertisement
Advertisement