Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar Hero 5

Options
  • 29-05-2009 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Haven't seen anything about this game on here yet so i thought i'd start this.:D Activision have said that they're going to be adding some new stuff as well as announcing some of the bands in the game:
    1. Smashing Pumpkins
    2. David Bowie
    3. Mötley Crüe
    4. Attack! Attack!
    5. Dire Straits
    6. Johnny Cash
    7. The Derek Trucks Band
    8. Sublime
    So, what are people's thoughts?, personally i'll probably pick it up, still enjoying world tour.:cool:

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Guit-ar... He-ro.... Wasn't GH2 the last GH? Yeah pretty sure it was. Never heard of this GH:WT you speak of.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

GHIII wasn't as bad as it was made out to be, in fairness. In fact, GH 1 and 2 are painful to play now due to the piss poor cover versions.

But yeah, GH:WT was absolutely dire and in my opinion, is the final nail in the coffin of the series, anything that comes out afterwards will merely be zombies of Activision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭tommybrennan15

ill buy this gh when it comes out but ill only buy the guitar and the game because when i bought ghwt the drums broke twice so i wont bothar buying da drums

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

...or we could just not buy it and stick with Rock Band 2 for the next 2 years. It'll probably have enough songs released via DLC to cover 10 Guitar Hero games.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sd08

Just wondering, what is it that you guys think makes Rock Band so much better than Guitar Hero, to me There's not much of a difference. And no smart-arse answers, just a simple explanation will do.

• Advertisement

sd08 wrote: »
    Just wondering, what is it that you guys think makes Rock Band so much better than Guitar Hero, to me There's not much of a difference. And no smart-arse answers, just a simple explanation will do.

Rock Band

• Developed by Harmonix, a company who originally created the Guitar Hero series and isn't known for milking famous game franchises or running them into the ground.
    • Literally hundreds of songs to choose from via DLC, and songs from the Rock Band 1 disc can be exported to Rock Band 2, for a small fee.
    • Generally better community support as a whole, 12 new Iron Maiden songs out June 9th as a result from enough people asking for it within the Rock Band Official Forums.
    • Very user-friendly UI.
    • Quality of songs generally better, in terms of charts and actual song quality.
    • Game modes, including World Tour, Tug of War, Battle of the Bands, Endless Setlist, etc.
    Guitar Hero

• Basically a cash cow with a neverending flow of new games released, which amounts to nothing more than quantity over quality.
    • In-game UI is generally bad compared to Rock Band, with features such as the bass line for drums difficult to see, not knowing when the band's about to fail, starpower, etc.
    • A mediocre song creator, a feature which was supposed to set it apart from the Rock Band series, which is difficult to use, time-consuming and lacking the ability to add vocals.
    • Lacking in DLC support, song releases are generally obscure, not to mention few and far between.

I get your point about the seemingly endless amount of Guitar Hero games, it is truly ridiculous but in fairness they're not asking you to buy all of them. Personally i don't care about downloadable content because I can't get it so that arguement means nothing to me. But the other points are alright, i do like the solo sections of Rock Band.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    GHIII wasn't as bad as it was made out to be, in fairness. In fact, GH 1 and 2 are painful to play now due to the piss poor cover versions.

But yeah, GH:WT was absolutely dire and in my opinion, is the final nail in the coffin of the series, anything that comes out afterwards will merely be zombies of Activision.

Yeah,GH3 was the last decent one,I'm just sticking to custom discs and RB2 for now.

I get your point about the seemingly endless amount of Guitar Hero games, it is truly ridiculous but in fairness they're not asking you to buy all of them. Personally i don't care about downloadable content because I can't get it so that arguement means nothing to me. But the other points are alright, i do like the solo sections of Rock Band.

Whether or not I purchase the games Activision release under the Guitar Hero name is irrelevant, they're still after nothing but the money, clearly evident from such smashing titles such as Guitar Hero: Aerosmith and Guitar Hero: Metallica. I'm not going to buy these games but people who love these bands are gonna do it, regardless of whether or not the game's actually polished or fully playable, which should be top priority. Sadly, it's not in Activision's priorities.

If you don't get downloadable content then you're really missing out on one of the vocal points that makes Rock Band so enjoyable. What platform do you have it on? Wii or PS2 I'd assume.

In a nutshell, Rock Band is developed by the guys who did the first two Guitar Hero games, Harmonix. Once they left Activision, the Guitar Hero series fell flat on it's face.

Fair enough about your opinion about DLC, however you're very much in the minority when it comes to that. Had you access to it, you'd understand this because when you have access to hundreds and hundreds of songs, it really does add to the mass appeal of the game, rather than sticking with a limited setlist on one disc.

• Advertisement

If you don't get downloadable content then you're really missing out on one of the vocal points that makes Rock Band so enjoyable. What platform do you have it on? Wii or PS2 I'd assume.
    No, I have it on PS3 but I don't have a credit card and sony don't do any xbox live points-like cards so I'm stuck there, i do get your point though, from looking at the lists of songs they are very good but, for me, pretty meaningless.

Just use a 3V card if you don't have a credit card.

Just use a 3V card if you don't have a credit card.
    Forgive my ignorance but, what exactly are 3V cards and where would i be able to get one?

Forgive my ignorance but, what exactly are 3V cards and where would i be able to get one?

You can get one sent out to you for free from here.

Happy to help my friend, it sucks not having a credit card, but 3V makes it alot easier.

You've started a monster. Give him about six weeks before he tells everyone else how much Rock Band is better and how GH sucks. :D:D:D

Sounds good, i'll have to check this out, might finally make me turn my back on Guitar Hero, as well as a good reason to get Rock Band 2, can't use the GH:WT drums on 1 and haven't the room(or funds) to buy another set.

ROCK BAND FOREVER!!!11!ONE

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ParalysedBeaver

Only looking forward to one song tomorrow. "A Favor House Atlantic" by Coheed and Cambria. Such win.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Here's a few more:

•Tom Petty (Runnin Down a Dream)
    •White Stripes (Blue Orchid)
    •The Rolling Stones (Sympathy for the Devil)
    •Bob Dylan (All Along The Watchtower)
    •Santana (No One To Depend On)
    •Vampire Weekend (A-Punk)
    •Johnny Cash (Ring of Fire)
    •Kings of Leon (Sex on Fire)
    •Stevie Wonder (Superstition)

USA Today also announced the brand-new Fest mode that allows people to battle at home or online for scores. As always, 4 can compete at home, but with the inclusion of online battles, 8 players in total can compete online, for “momentum points”. Another mode they detailed was Party Play, which lets you join songs, switch instruments, or change the difficulty level-mid-game. Activision’s creative director says that GH5 will have a lot more variety, with more indie artists, classic rock, and heavy metal.

Indie Hero.

• Advertisement

Only looking forward to one song tomorrow. "A Favor House Atlantic" by Coheed and Cambria. Such win.

That's in Rock Band.

Advertisement